Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:28:50 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Draft Topic: Let's Say Tua Does Not Declare...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Draft Topic: Let's Say Tua Does Not Declare...  (Read 11227 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 12:38:09 pm »

Agreed. But not at #5. I think they might be able to get him later. May have to move up from #18, but that's certainly possible.

Given Miami has (3) first round picks I don't think it makes sense to move up to take him, just use the #5 pick on him if they really want him.  Because if you move up you will be losing a later round draft pick.  He would be drafted higher than he rates out, which means he would get paid more.  The downside is the guy, or position, you would have drafted at #5 you now take at #18.  So as long as there are quality O-lineman available at #18 you really haven't lost anything (unless there is some stud left tackle that you think you have to have).
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 12:41:46 pm »

Given Miami has (3) first round picks I don't think it makes sense to move up to take him, just use the #5 pick on him if they really want him.  Because if you move up you will be losing a later round draft pick.  He would be drafted higher than he rates out, which means he would get paid more.  The downside is the guy, or position, you would have drafted at #5 you now take at #18.  So as long as there are quality O-lineman available at #18 you really haven't lost anything (unless there is some stud left tackle that you think you have to have).
There are plenty of guys that will be available at #5 that won't be there at #18. So you have to decide who you want and who you don't. If they think that much of him to take him at #5, I won't have a big problem with that, but I think they would rather take another position at #5 and then come back and get him later if they can and if not....well that's life. That's how I feel about him, get him if you really like him, otherwise get him if you sorta like him and he's available when you pick.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 12:43:37 pm »

I've seen several mocks that have Herbert going to the Chargers right behind us, so we would have to take him at #5 if we really wanted him. Using our own #5 pick on someone and then moving up from 18th to 6th will cost us our other two 1st rounders. He won't be there at 18 and if he is, then something happened like an injury or arrest.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 12:46:24 pm »

I honestly don't get the Justin Herbert love. The times I've watched him have not been impressed. Seems like a big kid with a strong arm who doesn't ave any accuracy. You know ... the most important part of an NFL QB. I have yet to see anyone teach accuracy in throwing. Maybe timing like on a long ball but not accuracy to a receiver.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 12:52:22 pm »

I honestly don't get the Justin Herbert love. The times I've watched him have not been impressed. Seems like a big kid with a strong arm who doesn't ave any accuracy. You know ... the most important part of an NFL QB. I have yet to see anyone teach accuracy in throwing. Maybe timing like on a long ball but not accuracy to a receiver.
You've not watched him enough. His accuracy is just fine. He had an off game yesterday against a really good defense, but he had a couple of big time throws to finish off the game and they lose that game if not for his 3 TD runs. The kid has all the tools and the smarts. Doesn't mean he'll be a franchise QB, but doesn't mean he won't either. And I don't get the comparison with Rosen and saying he's not emotional or a leader, I've seen lots of emotion and leadership from him and his team loves him.

Read some scouting reports from the experts:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/12/06/2020-nfl-draft-justin-herbert-scouting-report/

https://nflmocks.com/2019/10/29/2020-nfl-draft-justin-herbert-scouting-report/2/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:58:14 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 12:56:20 pm »

You've not watched him enough. His accuracy is just fine. He had an off game yesterday against a really good defense, but he had a couple of big time throws to finish off the game and they lose that game if not for his 3 TD runs. The kid has all the tools and the smarts. Doesn't mean he'll be a franchise QB, but doesn't mean he won't either.
I watched him against Utah and then the Rose Bowl. Pretty much the biggest stage he's been on this year and neither made him look very good. If you can't carry your college team then it's highly unlikely you can an NFL team.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 12:59:05 pm »

I watched him against Utah and then the Rose Bowl. Pretty much the biggest stage he's been on this year and neither made him look very good. If you can't carry your college team then it's highly unlikely you can an NFL team.
But he DID carry his team against Wisconsin, just not by throwing for huge yardage.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 01:49:52 pm »

I've watched more than just the Rose Bowl of him, and he's just not impressive so I agree with you CF. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 02:10:41 pm »

I skipped everything posted to say Tua is a terrible choice..i hope he goes back because then there is no option of drafting him
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 02:10:46 pm »

Is this the guy that has a concussion history now? at least 3 now in his collegiate career.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 02:32:01 pm »

Is this the guy that has a concussion history now? at least 3 now in his collegiate career.

I didn't see anything about 3 concussions with a quick google search, just the one he suffered when he basically hurt his whole body during the hip injury play.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 02:33:19 pm »

I wouldn't take Tua if he declares.   I think everyone should look at that mock posted in another thread.   That builds up your trenches so well that both units could be a force next season.  

You have four picks in the first two rounds in 2021.   That could easily be packaged to move up for Lawrence/Fields, both of whom are much better prospects than any QB in this draft, Burrow included.

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2020, 02:35:07 pm »

I didn't see anything about 3 concussions with a quick google search, just the one he suffered when he basically hurt his whole body during the hip injury play.
Nevermind. I'm thinking of the Baylor QB

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 03:48:34 pm »

I wouldn't take Tua if he declares.   I think everyone should look at that mock posted in another thread.   That builds up your trenches so well that both units could be a force next season.  

You have four picks in the first two rounds in 2021.   That could easily be packaged to move up for Lawrence/Fields, both of whom are much better prospects than any QB in this draft, Burrow included.

The cost of moving up to take Lawrence would be astronomical, talking 3 1st rounders and maybe more. The bar was set very high with what the Eagles and Rams gave up for their guys. We have too many holes to pay that price.

The question is if we don't draft Tua then where are we getting a QB from? Good QB's don't become free agents and it's much harder to find a develop a franchise QB in the later rounds than it is in the Top 10 or 15 of the draft. Right now just seems like our best shot at a franchise QB, I don't know when the next opportunity will be.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 05:39:23 pm »

The cost of moving up to take Lawrence would be astronomical, talking 3 1st rounders and maybe more. The bar was set very high with what the Eagles and Rams gave up for their guys. We have too many holes to pay that price.

The question is if we don't draft Tua then where are we getting a QB from? Good QB's don't become free agents and it's much harder to find a develop a franchise QB in the later rounds than it is in the Top 10 or 15 of the draft. Right now just seems like our best shot at a franchise QB, I don't know when the next opportunity will be.

You've already got two first rounders and two second rounders at your disposal next year.   I think that's plenty of ammo to move up to get Lawrence/Fields.  Especially if one of the top teams doesn't need a QB.   

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray