Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:31:29 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Red Sox are being investigated by MLB for allegedly stealing opponents' signs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Red Sox are being investigated by MLB for allegedly stealing opponents' signs  (Read 2941 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: January 07, 2020, 03:18:37 pm »

Looks like whatever Bellichick has is catching on in Boston.

The Boston Red Sox and manager Alex Cora are being investigated by Major League Baseball for allegedly using a video replay room to steal opposing pitchers' signs en route to a World Series title in 2018.

To read more  .... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7861797/MLB-investigating-Red-Sox-stealing-opponents-signs-2018-en-route-World-Series-title.html

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 04:27:50 pm »

Maybe Houston's manager sent word to the Red Sox.   This is getting out of hand

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 04:51:36 pm »

Of course two teams are being investigated but only one is in the headline.  

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 05:34:46 pm »

Alex Cora was with the 2017 Astros and then the 2019 Red Sox.

In all honesty, MLB is going to make an example out of those involved in this because it's hard to figure out who has been cheating so they have to come down hard this time as a deterrent. There are some witnesses to all of this so if Alex Cora is implicated for both teams then he is probably suspended for the 2020 season if not longer. MLB came down hard on the Braves not too long ago for some shenanigans with signing international players and they banned their GM for life.

ESPN says we will know the Astros punishment in 2 weeks but no players will be punished.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 03:33:41 am »

Of course two teams are being investigated but only one is in the headline.
Everyone is already aware that the Astros are being investigated.  That isn't "news."

The reason only the Red Sox are in the headline is because that investigation has just been announced (which makes it "news").

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 08:25:42 am »

Not sure why it's not being reported as widely but the Yankees are being looked into for the same thing.

If this is true they need to come down on Cora pretty hard.  They can't do much, if anything, to the players.  It puts the players, actually, in a really tough spot.  But Cora?  I think you've got to start with sitting him for a year and then getting some actual rules on the books for this (there aren't any right now).  Otherwise this becomes normalized, quickly.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 09:17:23 am »

The system is flawed.  Players are allowed in the replay room and they can use some but not all of what they see on the screens to their competitive advantage.  Either allow them to use the monitors to steal signs or completely ban them from the replay room. Otherwise you have a system primed for abuse and selective enforcement. 

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 02:14:23 pm »

I need to read up on this more.  What do you mean there are no rules on the books? Unwritten rules are not really rules. You can't punish someone for actions not covered in writing.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 02:30:25 pm »

I need to read up on this more.  What do you mean there are no rules on the books? Unwritten rules are not really rules. You can't punish someone for actions not covered in writing.

Huh?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 05:10:38 pm »

Not sure why it's not being reported as widely but the Yankees are being looked into for the same thing.
Source?  That's not what the article cited above says.  Emphasis added:

MLB has previously punished the Red Sox and the New York Yankees for stealing signs using electronic equipment, including an Apple Watch, in 2017

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 01:44:38 pm »

Huh?

Maine, who is our most knowledgeable person on the sport, said there are no rules on the books.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 02:38:07 pm »

Maybe baseball can solve this problem NFL style.  Give the pitcher and earpiece and one way dugout to mound communication like with the QB and one defensive players. 

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 02:41:26 pm »

Maybe baseball can solve this problem NFL style.  Give the pitcher and earpiece and one way dugout to mound communication like with the QB and one defensive players. 

Also give it to the batters as well, as they are told whether to swing or take.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 08:35:05 am »

I'm not a throw things out there just to throw it out there "guy."  A friend of mine in the know a week ago told me the Yankees were being wrapped up in this; I've dug around and found this:

https://www.12up.com/posts/mlb-not-investigating-yankees-sign-stealing-allegations-01dy0mpbce2n?utm_source=RSS

I knew the Yanks were part of the whistle blowing; I thought it would be odd to make them part of the dragnet (unless there were simply doing something and not aware they were doing it). Looks like this is a (right now) Boston and Houston thing.

To be clear, however, the Boston and Houston thing are also two separate animals.  Houston had a very elaborate sign stealing system where Boston is being caught up in using their video reply room incorrectly. 

And by "there are no rules on the books for this," let me clarify my statement on this.  When Pete Rose was banned for life for gambling on the sport - the sport was able to justify this action because there were rules in place stating this was a possible outcome, should any active player, etc, be caught betting on the sport.  Currently the same is not in place for these types of actions; MLB is going to have to come up with rules and policies to ensure this does not become the norm.

This is why, I think, a one year suspension of management involved is a good way to go. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray