Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:45:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  The future of the AFC East
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The future of the AFC East  (Read 3253 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: January 08, 2020, 04:49:12 pm »

Dave Hyde wrote something today that caught my attention .... "As we look at the future of the AFC East, don’t forget the New York Jets finished 6-2 this season. If you make something of the Dolphins finishing 5-4 and Buffalo making the playoffs, the Jets finish means something, too. So does the Patriots’s finish: 4-5 to end the year."

Sure seems like there is a possibility for there to be a competition for the top spot in the AFC East next year and that hasn't happened in forever.  

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 04:58:56 pm »

and that hasn't happened in forever.  

I could be wrong but my best recollection is the last time the AFCE was still in question going into week 17 was 2008. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 04:39:55 am »

I could be wrong but my best recollection is the last time the AFCE was still in question going into week 17 was 2008. 

Ahh, the year of the Wild Cat. Is it sad that the one thing I really remember from that season is that it resulted in us taking Pat White in the following draft?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 08:11:48 am »

Ahh, the year of the Wild Cat. Is it sad that the one thing I really remember from that season is that it resulted in us taking Pat White in the following draft?

Yeah that is sad.  The season should be memorable as the the greatest season to season improvement ever.  1-15 to 11-5..  Went from barely avoiding a winless season to winning the division. That is an impressive turnaround.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:14:17 am by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 08:30:46 am »

The Wildcat worked so well in 2008 because they actually switched it up a bit and had Ronnie Brown throwing and Pennington actually receiving. It failed in 2009 because every Wildcat play was just a draw and everyone knew it.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 08:48:40 am »

If Brady resigns for two I think I could see the AFC East becoming one of those divisions where you have a title winning team at 11-5, two 10-6 teams and another team at 9-7.  I feel like all of the teams are trending up and the team at the top, currently, isn't going away any time soon.

The one "wild card" in this would be the Jets.  We've all experienced the Adam Gase rocket ride and know how that ends.  Is he better this time around, or does it explode like wiley coyote with a explosive tied to his back?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 09:34:17 am »

The Bills are looking like they're going to be the next big dog AFC East.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 09:41:28 am »

If Brady resigns for two I think I could see the AFC East becoming one of those divisions where you have a title winning team at 11-5, two 10-6 teams and another team at 9-7.

Which would make it the first time in the history of the NFL that all teams from a division finish with a winning record, so probably not "one of those divisions".

The inverse has happened twice, in 2010 (NFC West) and 2014 (NFC South).

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 10:10:03 am »

If Brady resigns for two I think I could see the AFC East becoming one of those divisions where you have a title winning team at 11-5, two 10-6 teams and another team at 9-7.  I feel like all of the teams are trending up and the team at the top, currently, isn't going away any time soon.

The one "wild card" in this would be the Jets.  We've all experienced the Adam Gase rocket ride and know how that ends.  Is he better this time around, or does it explode like wiley coyote with a explosive tied to his back?

Unlikely that would all four teams to have a phenomenal interdivisional record.  Brady leaving doesn't automatically make the other teams better.  But I do expect that the division will start being in play week 17.

fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 10:24:56 am »

Unlikely that would all four teams to have a phenomenal interdivisional record.

Unless you definition of "phenomenal" stretches to "average", then "impossible" would be more accurate.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 10:39:09 am »

Unless you definition of "phenomenal" stretches to "average", then "impossible" would be more accurate.

What I mean is that would require the equivalent of having the following record for non-divisional games 8-2, 7-3,7-3, 6-4.  Wouldn’t have to be that exact distribution but as a division they would have to win 70% of all non division games.  So you are not talking about bring the Patriots down to the rest of the AFCE post-Brady, but rather all four teams playing at the level Patriots played over the past two decades or the Colts played with Peyton, the Bills with Kelly and Dolphins with Marino at the same time.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 12:02:42 pm »

I think that the fall of the Patriots is crazy premature.  They made the playoffs with a good record and lost a close game to a hot team.  They still are good and have the working parts.  They may not win another title, but they're not just going to be bad all of a sudden.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 01:44:43 pm »

I think that the fall of the Patriots is crazy premature.  They made the playoffs with a good record and lost a close game to a hot team.  They still are good and have the working parts.  They may not win another title, but they're not just going to be bad all of a sudden.
I agree with you but if you look how they closed out the season it does beg to be debated. They only won 2 of their last 5 games and that's why they had to play the WC game. So basically they were 2-4 in their last 6 games ... losing the last 2 at home. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 03:07:12 pm »

I agree with you but if you look how they closed out the season it does beg to be debated. They only won 2 of their last 5 games and that's why they had to play the WC game. So basically they were 2-4 in their last 6 games ... losing the last 2 at home. 

I understand this point and I think there's merit to it.

But I counter with this idea that good teams are good and bad teams are bad.  Part of that is culture.

Every year, I have to hear about how the Browns finished strong and are going to be good next year.  And every year it's the same, slapdick shit from them.  Teams that are great for decades are such because of good players, but also good coaching, management, ....maybe even stuff like support and goodwill from local media and fans.  Even if some of those things change, they don't just all go away over night.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 03:43:19 pm »

I agree with you but if you look how they closed out the season it does beg to be debated. They only won 2 of their last 5 games and that's why they had to play the WC game. So basically they were 2-4 in their last 6 games ... losing the last 2 at home with Brady throwing a pick 6 in both games
There I fixed it for you, LMFAO.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray