Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:41:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins Pick 5th, 18th and 26th
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins Pick 5th, 18th and 26th  (Read 3768 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 11:48:59 am »

Hard to watch Burrow and not want us to throw everything at Cincy to get him. I keep telling myself Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Matt Leinart, and Danny Wuerffel looked pretty good too. Oh well ...  the guessing game continues.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 12:00:34 pm »

I really want Burrows too, but not at the risk of draft capital when Tua is just as good (although with injury concerns).  I did a mock draft simulator yesterday, and no QB was taken until Dolphins at 5, so who know what could happen on draft day.  Burrows a Dolphin?  Maybe, but doubtfully.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 02:56:27 pm »

Hard to watch Burrow and not want us to throw everything at Cincy to get him. I keep telling myself Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Matt Leinart, and Danny Wuerffel looked pretty good too. Oh well ...  the guessing game continues.

I know but we have so many holes that the astronomical cost isn't worth it. Cincy wants him so you have to pay for the #1 pick AND for Cincy to forgo their franchise QB. In all honesty, we're talking all of our 2020 1st Rounders and probably next year's too plus some other stuff.

It's also hard to watch him and realize that we won 5 games by a combined 24 points and we wouldn't really be a worse team if we went 24 points in the other direction.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 07:50:14 pm »

I know but we have so many holes that the astronomical cost isn't worth it. Cincy wants him so you have to pay for the #1 pick AND for Cincy to forgo their franchise QB. In all honesty, we're talking all of our 2020 1st Rounders and probably next year's too plus some other stuff.

It's also hard to watch him and realize that we won 5 games by a combined 24 points and we wouldn't really be a worse team if we went 24 points in the other direction.

Who says Cincy will take Burrows?  They can say one thing and do another.  In the end it all depends on what their GM wants; he can be just as much in love with Tua and take him knowing they don't need to play Tua in 2020.  Or, Cincy knows they suck and could put off picking a QB until next year.  Cincy is in Ohio, look at the crazy QB decisions Cleveland has made in the last 5 years.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 08:41:44 am »

Cool

True. His presence on the field and command of that offense is impressive.  HOWEVER, NFL defenses and schemes are definitely notches above CFB.

My boy says he is very hesitant for guys who have one breakout season and then go to the NFL right from ther.  I personally hope he does well cause I hate to see the "bust" title attached to someone, especially going if a team that doesn't provide him with the support (ie, good coaching, good OL, etc)

He can throw the ball for sure.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 09:57:06 am »

The only straight up bust was Prince, everyone else was okay or better.  Have to give credit for finding Preston Williams, Laird and Neeham as undrafted free agents too.

Un-drafted isn't drafted. 

Miami HAS to hit on close to everyone in the first four rounds next season to turn this around.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 10:05:00 am »

Miami HAS to hit on close to everyone in the first four rounds next season to turn this around.

Absolutely, we need starters across both lines. Can't get a Pro Bowler out of every spot but every first round pick has to have an impact in 2020 or the future in the case of Tua who will probably sit most of 2020 for us if we draft him.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 10:43:24 am »

Disagree. Irrelevant. If you miss on a few draft picks but find a superstar UDFA it makes up for it.  Cameron Wake was a good pick up for you.  Doesn't matter that you didn't draft him. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 01:20:42 pm »

Disagree. Irrelevant. If you miss on a few draft picks but find a superstar UDFA it makes up for it.  Cameron Wake was a good pick up for you.  Doesn't matter that you didn't draft him. 
That has more to do with luck than anything else. They chose to come to you and try out. I completely agree with Maine. We failed at identifying talent and selecting them and that's where we have all our bullets for our future.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 02:59:33 pm »

That has more to do with luck than anything else. They chose to come to you and try out. I completely agree with Maine. We failed at identifying talent and selecting them and that's where we have all our bullets for our future.

Both high round drafts and late rounds/UDFA involve luck and skill.  And the ability to be better than other teams is critical to a successful NFL team.

First and second round drafting is not about finding great players as much as it is about avoiding bad players. 

The Colts assessment of Peyton Manning wasn’t the important factor.  What was significant was that they knew to avoid Leaf.

OTOH, the Cowboys getting Romo was about seeing potential nobody else saw and capitalizing on it. 

Granted you should have a better success rate with first round draft picks than UDFA.  But being better than other teams at finding the hidden gems is just as important as solid drafting.  Also finding an all-pro UDFA  makes up for a first round bust.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 03:38:50 pm »

Both high round drafts and late rounds/UDFA involve luck and skill.  And the ability to be better than other teams is critical to a successful NFL team.

First and second round drafting is not about finding great players as much as it is about avoiding bad players. 

The Colts assessment of Peyton Manning wasn’t the important factor.  What was significant was that they knew to avoid Leaf.

OTOH, the Cowboys getting Romo was about seeing potential nobody else saw and capitalizing on it. 

Granted you should have a better success rate with first round draft picks than UDFA.  But being better than other teams at finding the hidden gems is just as important as solid drafting.  Also finding an all-pro UDFA  makes up for a first round bust.
For once I agree with the Patriots fan
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 03:59:09 pm »

I would say you pretty much hit the nail on the head.   I saw an interview once where it was said that the Colts were actually enamored with Leaf, but he didn't want to play there and blew them off at the combine interview and pissed them off.  Who knows if the story is true or not.   But I agree with everything else you said. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 06:58:15 pm »

I did my first mock draft on draftnetwork.com and this was the first round. They had Chase Young going first which left both Burrow and Tua for us at 5. I took Joe Burrow at 5, A.J. Epenesa from Iowa at 18, and OT Andrew Thomas from Georgia at 26.

Man I'd be pretty happy if that played out.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 09:22:45 am »

I did my first mock draft on draftnetwork.com and this was the first round. They had Chase Young going first which left both Burrow and Tua for us at 5. I took Joe Burrow at 5, A.J. Epenesa from Iowa at 18, and OT Andrew Thomas from Georgia at 26.

Man I'd be pretty happy if that played out.

I know the Bengals are a poorly run franchise but they're not THAT poorly run where they pass on Burrow. Even if by some miracle they did, some team would trade up with the Skins to take him.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray