Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:34:21 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Jimmy Johnson is not a HOF coach.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Jimmy Johnson is not a HOF coach.  (Read 4579 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 05:12:38 pm »

If Cowher is a HOF coach, JJ definitely is.  And I think that many people credit Switzer's title to JJ.

If we're going to object to coaches in the HOF, JJ seems far down the list.  Why is Madden in?
Switzer may have coached it, but it was Jimmy's team. That's not up for debate.

Part of the reason that Jimmy is in has nothing to do with his coaching. Some of it has to do with his larger than life personality that is still around the NFL to this day. That's how Madden got in and it's partly why Jimmy is in. I'm fine with Jimmy in the HOF. He deserves it as much as anyone not in the hall in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:14:52 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 11:06:41 am »

Part of the reason that Jimmy is in has nothing to do with his coaching. Some of it has to do with his larger than life personality that is still around the NFL to this day. \

I agree with that.  Tom Flores is more deserving than either JJ or Cowher, but Flores doesn't have a national TV show they could surprise him on. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 02:46:21 pm »

Switzer may have coached it, but it was Jimmy's team. That's not up for debate.

Part of the reason that Jimmy is in has nothing to do with his coaching. Some of it has to do with his larger than life personality that is still around the NFL to this day. That's how Madden got in and it's partly why Jimmy is in. I'm fine with Jimmy in the HOF. He deserves it as much as anyone not in the hall in my opinion.

So by that logic, the Bucs Superbowl was Dungy's team even though Gruden coached it right?  That's what I think at least.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 02:52:19 pm »

So by that logic, the Bucs Superbowl was Dungy's team even though Gruden coached it right?  That's what I think at least.
I wouldn't say that. Seemed like Gruden completed the team and made them whole. Switzer just didn't get in the way. Two different things.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 02:58:32 pm »

I wouldn't say that. Seemed like Gruden completed the team and made them whole. Switzer just didn't get in the way. Two different things.

Gruden provided the spark that offense was missing under Dungy.   But that defense was all Dungy's.  A combination of both, with them catching lightning in a bottle against Philly, is what got them over the hump.  Then the piper came to collect.  Still, I wouldn't trade that season for the world.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 03:42:23 pm »

Gruden provided the spark that offense was missing under Dungy.   But that defense was all Dungy's.  A combination of both, with them catching lightning in a bottle against Philly, is what got them over the hump.  Then the piper came to collect.  Still, I wouldn't trade that season for the world.
Are you kidding me?  That spark didn't come until week 17, it was ALL Dungy/Kiffin's defense.  The defense outscored the offense like the first 4 weeks of the season.  Put Dungy there for that year, and they still win the Superbowl, I don't doubt that at all.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 08:44:23 pm »

So by that logic, the Bucs Superbowl was Dungy's team even though Gruden coached it right?  That's what I think at least.
JJ's team had already won twice and were the reigning champs when he was forced out.
Had Dungy already won two rings with the Bucs, damn straight Gruden would get no credit for inheriting a championship team.  And the same goes for Mora and Dungy in Indy.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 11:15:10 pm »

I'm sorry but this guy does not belong in the HOF.  It is not the "Hall of good." 

As a Dallas Cowboys coach, coaching without a salary cap (oh; y'all forgot he came before that, huh)?

Total record of 44-36, winning percentage of .550, two Super Bowls.

As a coach of the Miami Dolphins:

*Ruined the last years of one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game
*Never won the AFC East.  During his time every team in the AFC East won the title except the Miami Dolphins.
*Quit in 1999, stating he was "burned out, " reversing his decision a day later.
Finished with a 36-28 record in Miami
ZERO playoff wins

He wasn't a BAD coach.  He is NOT a Hall of Fame Coach.

I saw this dog and pony show on TV last night and this guy crying on TV and could only think "he's crying because he knows he fooled them all." 

Complete joke.

You are incorrect.  He won two playoff games with Miami.  One in 1998 and one in 1999

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 06:50:13 am »

This argument always annoyed me. Or, rather, the extension of the argument where basically NO credit was given to Gruden for his old team getting to Super Bowl and basically NO credit for his new team getting there either. All things considered, I'm more on the other side where if anything, he gets more than 1 Super Bowl's worth of credit.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 07:04:16 am »

This argument always annoyed me. Or, rather, the extension of the argument where basically NO credit was given to Gruden for his old team getting to Super Bowl and basically NO credit for his new team getting there either. All things considered, I'm more on the other side where if anything, he gets more than 1 Super Bowl's worth of credit.
I'll give Gruden credit for the Raiders getting to the Superbowl that year, they should have been in the year before if it wasn't for the lame tuck rule.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:25:59 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 01:14:48 pm »

I think Jimmy's fingerprint is definitely a part of the NFL. Besides building that dynasty of a team he developed the draft trade chart that is very much still in use.

This really is a huge contribution to the way NFL teams operate with regard to drafting/trading players.  Not to mention who knows how many SB's he would have won if he was not forced out at Dallas.  He built that team with huge amount of trades and deserves most, if not all, of the credit for turning the Cowboys around.  For these reasons I think he is HoF worthy, and I've never really liked the guy.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 02:27:00 pm »

And also the fact that he was the first coach to win it all at the college and pro levels.   The man can coach up some great teams if he's allowed to do his thing.   

This may anger Dolphins fans, but the Dolphins ownership should've allowed him to move on from Dan Marino. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 10:29:46 pm »

So let's suppose JJ trades Marino in '96.  Who does he pick up?  Here is the list of every QB drafted after MIA's first pick from 1996-1999:

1996: Tony Banks, Bobby Hoying, Jeff Lewis, Danny Kanell, Spence Fischer, Mike Cawley
1997: Jim Druckenmiller, Jake Plummer, Danny Wuerffel, Pat Barnes, Mike Cherry, Chuck Clements, Tony Graziani, Koy Detmer, Wally Richardson, Tony Corbin, Ronnie McAda  
1998: Charlie Batch, Scott Frost, Jonathan Quinn, Brian Griese, John Dutton, Matt Hasselbeck, Moses Moreno
1999: Shaun King, Brock Huard, Joe Germaine, Aaron Brooks, Kevin Daft, Michael Bishop, Chris Greisen, Scott Covington

No one in that list is better than Marino before 2000.  Plummer, Griese, and Hasselbeck are the only ones who made a Pro Bowl in their career.  So unless you're saying that JJ should have signed Kurt Warner out of the Arena League...

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 09:32:24 am »

So let's suppose JJ trades Marino in '96.  Who does he pick up?  Here is the list of every QB drafted after MIA's first pick from 1996-1999:

1996: Tony Banks, Bobby Hoying, Jeff Lewis, Danny Kanell, Spence Fischer, Mike Cawley
1997: Jim Druckenmiller, Jake Plummer, Danny Wuerffel, Pat Barnes, Mike Cherry, Chuck Clements, Tony Graziani, Koy Detmer, Wally Richardson, Tony Corbin, Ronnie McAda  
1998: Charlie Batch, Scott Frost, Jonathan Quinn, Brian Griese, John Dutton, Matt Hasselbeck, Moses Moreno
1999: Shaun King, Brock Huard, Joe Germaine, Aaron Brooks, Kevin Daft, Michael Bishop, Chris Greisen, Scott Covington

No one in that list is better than Marino before 2000.  Plummer, Griese, and Hasselbeck are the only ones who made a Pro Bowl in their career.  So unless you're saying that JJ should have signed Kurt Warner out of the Arena League...

Or Jeff George maybe.  He would've found someone somewhere and been able to coach them up. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2020, 09:54:21 am »

Not sure if the criticism is not trading Marino as much as not winning with Marino.  If you have a HoF quality QB AND a HoF quality coach you should have more success than they did. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray