Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:18:48 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  This weekend will determine if the Dolphins made a mistake with Tannehill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: This weekend will determine if the Dolphins made a mistake with Tannehill  (Read 6635 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: January 15, 2020, 02:56:22 pm »

The Dolphins jettisoned Tannehill with the logic they needed a franchise QB to lead them to the promise land. Tennessee is the team everyone said Tanny needed to be successful while KC is led by one of the most prolific QBs in the league. Basically whoever wins this game will prove which theory is correct. Should be fun either way.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:59:53 pm »

I think you can already say that Miami made a mistake with Tannehill. Not really in letting him go but more thinking that it was him that was the reason that Miami couldn't make the playoffs. That's pretty much already been debunked.

The only thing left for him to prove is can he lead his team to a Superbowl win? I personally would love to see it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:06:32 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:01:38 pm »

Regardless of this weekend Tannehill has proven to be a capable QB, and Gase has proven to be a moron.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:04:55 pm »

I don't disagree. I was one of Tanny's biggest supporters and always felt they left him to get beat up until his knee finally gave out. I also felt it was the right thing for him to move on just to get a fresh start for both of us.

The question to be answered is having a great all around team better than having a franchise qb? These two teams couldn't be more opposite so it should be fun.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 03:09:01 pm »

The question to be answered is having a great all around team better than having a franchise qb? These two teams couldn't be more opposite so it should be fun.
Dan Marino (along with others) has already proved that just having a franchise QB is not enough to win a Superbowl. If KC wins, it won't be JUST because of Mahomes. There are 21 other guys not counting special teams that must contribute so I don't think it's really a fair comparison. It's not like everyone BUT Mahomes is average or worse. That's not even close to being true. KC is loaded across the board on offense.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:14:04 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 03:13:11 pm »

I'll try again. One team relies on their franchise QB while the other is just a piece of the puzzle. Supposedly we have moved on in order to get a franchise QB and build a similar team so it will be interesting to see which theory wins this game.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 03:17:37 pm »

I'll try again. One team relies on their franchise QB while the other is just a piece of the puzzle. Supposedly we have moved on in order to get a franchise QB and build a similar team so it will be interesting to see which theory wins this game.
Let me put it this way. The fact that these 2 teams are in the AFC championship proves that BOTH are legit options along with every other combination. There's not 1 way to build a SB champion, there are multiple ways. People just think it's easier to build a SB Champion by finding a franchise QB first and then the rest will just magically fall into place. It doesn't work that way. You could build the team first and then find the QB last. That's essentially what Tennessee did this year and it worked...regardless if they win the SB or not.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:39:56 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 03:40:02 pm »

Dan Marino (along with others) has already proved that just having a franchise QB is not enough to win a Superbowl. If KC wins, it won't be JUST because of Mahomes. There are 21 other guys not counting special teams that must contribute so I don't think it's really a fair comparison. It's not like everyone BUT Mahomes is average or worse. That's not even close to being true. KC is loaded across the board on offense.
Put Moore in there and they win games too...
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 03:44:58 pm »

Put Moore in there and they win games too...
Exactly. Mahomes is NOT the KC Chiefs even though people want to give him all the credit and if they do win the SB, then Mahomes will have won a SB despite the fact that everyone on the team contributed. It's as ridiculous as saying that Tannehill won the SB if the Titans win it. QB's do not win SB's I don't care who they are.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:48:35 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 04:01:31 pm »

Dan Marino (along with others) has already proved that just having a franchise QB is not enough to win a Superbowl.

And the 1985 Bears proved it wasn't necessary.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 04:06:49 pm »

Exactly. Mahomes is NOT the KC Chiefs even though people want to give him all the credit and if they do win the SB, then Mahomes will have won a SB despite the fact that everyone on the team contributed. It's as ridiculous as saying that Tannehill won the SB if the Titans win it. QB's do not win SB's I don't care who they are.
But by the same token, I'm fairly confident that the Titans would not be in this position if Mariota played all season instead of Tannehill. Hence, Tannehill get credit for being a missing piece of the puzzle.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 04:20:12 pm »

But by the same token, I'm fairly confident that the Titans would not be in this position if Mariota played all season instead of Tannehill. Hence, Tannehill get credit for being a missing piece of the puzzle.
Agreed. Mahomes is also only a piece of the KC puzzle. He's undoutedly a bigger piece then Tannehill is, but still just a piece. The complete puzzle is the KC Chiefs.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 05:23:27 pm »

Now Mahomes isn't a franchise QB but just a piece of the puzzle ... like Tannehill? So what won the SB by themselves and are legitimate franchise QBs? I seem to draw a blank on those.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 09:15:17 pm »

Now Mahomes isn't a franchise QB but just a piece of the puzzle ... like Tannehill? So what won the SB by themselves and are legitimate franchise QBs? I seem to draw a blank on those.
No Mahomes IS a franchise QB which is STILL just a piece of the puzzle. QB's don't stand out there by themselves, they have a line that blocks for them, they have RB's that run the ball for them and they have WR's and TE's that catch the ball and they don't play on the defense nor the special teams. They are simply one piece of the puzzle. That's it. Doesn't matter if it's Patrick Mahomes or Ryan Tannehill. No QB has EVER won the SB by themselves. They give all the players on the team and the coaching staff a SB ring, not just the QB.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:19:25 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 06:28:47 am »

Let me put it this way. The fact that these 2 teams are in the AFC championship proves that BOTH are legit options along with every other combination. There's not 1 way to build a SB champion, there are multiple ways. People just think it's easier to build a SB Champion by finding a franchise QB first and then the rest will just magically fall into place. It doesn't work that way. You could build the team first and then find the QB last. That's essentially what Tennessee did this year and it worked...regardless if they win the SB or not.

You can keep a franchise quarterback around for a lot longer. That's the worth, IMHO, compared to "just" building a championship team. As long as your quarterback doesn't break, you'll be in contention for a decade or more.

Of course, finding that franchise quarterback shouldn't dissuade one from actually building a top team around him. The two methods are not mutually exclusive, except to the extent that your quarterback drains cap space. We've seen plenty of situations with top-tier quarterbacks where the skill at that position masked the fact that the coach / front office should have been replaced.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray