Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:49 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  This weekend will determine if the Dolphins made a mistake with Tannehill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: This weekend will determine if the Dolphins made a mistake with Tannehill  (Read 6642 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 11:53:31 pm »

Like Spider said ... we traded Tannehill and even paid 5 million of his salary this season in order for them to take him.  No matter what happens Sunday ... Tenn made out like bandits on the trade.

True, technically he was still under contract with the Dolphins for 2019 and 2020, but NONE of his salary for those years was guaranteed, so he wasn't gonna step foot on the field without a new contract guaranteeing him money.  And without going back and looking I seem to recall the $5M payment was a salary cap type issue, which most on here at the time thought was a great idea by the front office.  I agree 100% this ended up being a blockbuster deal for Tenn, but who on this site foresaw Tannehill succeeding like he has this year?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:56:26 pm by masterfins » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2020, 08:37:40 am »

True, technically he was still under contract with the Dolphins for 2019 and 2020, but NONE of his salary for those years was guaranteed, so he wasn't gonna step foot on the field without a new contract guaranteeing him money.
...what?

If he's still on the team, he gets paid.  Every player has that guarantee.

MIA had three options:

1) keep him (and pay him what he is due according to his contract)
2) cut him (and take a cap hit for the acceleration of his original signing bonus)
3) trade him

They chose option 3.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2020, 12:34:01 pm »

I'm late to this discussion and have missed a lot of it.  This weekend won't decide this, a road game in the playoffs (AFC title game).  This was already decided.  Tanney, in the right system is a good QB.  He wasn't used right (although he had good talent around him).

This falls on ownership first and then coaches.  We will be able to watch his success from afar. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 09:00:18 am »

Good on Tannehill getting the Titans to the AFC title, finally falling to the Chiefs.  He had a hell of a season for them and definitely gave that team & offense the jolt they needed.

I think MIA failed him in getting a good OL for an extended period of time with the team.  There was a time when Pouncey, Tunsil, Albert, bushrod and James were on the line and they played pretty damn good.  Problem was, too many injuries along that front and they couldn't sustain long periods of all being on the field.

Compound that with MIA not having a consistent running game and Tannehill was setup to fail.  Great team player and tough as nails (he got hit enough) but I stand behind MIA trading this past offseason and moving on from him.

He'll get a nice paycheck this upcoming 2020 season.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 09:15:04 am »

He'll get a nice paycheck this upcoming 2020 season.

from new england
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 09:43:42 am »

from new england

You don't think TEN will lock him up? I know Henry is a must as well, but looks like the Mariota experiment s over. We'll see.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 10:04:09 am »

Titans should lock him up long term, he did a great job for them and they are a team on the rise. I don't think he will ask for Rodgers money but you never know. They have the cap space for him and Henry.

Let's hope they knock out the Texans next year and get us better draft picks.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 10:33:43 am »

They better not let either Tanny or Henry hit free agency. I'm sure they are busting their arse to get a deal done.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 10:38:34 am »

from new england

NE is rarely the highest bidder.  But if he is interested in showing Miami twice a year what a big mistake they made NE is his best (only) option.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2020, 11:52:22 am »

NE is rarely the highest bidder.  But if he is interested in showing Miami twice a year what a big mistake they made NE is his best (only) option.

I don't think he feels that way because there wasn't bad blood with how it ended and everyone pretty much agrees the Dolphins were the ones who screwed it up. No doubters to prove wrong when everyone basically took your side.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2020, 12:03:35 pm »

We all saw the real Tannehill on display Sunday.   Better than average but not good enough to get your team over the hump.  The Chiefs contained Derrick Henry, something the Pats and Ravens couldn't do.   Once they forced Tannehill to beat them throwing the ball, it was really no contest.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2020, 12:47:02 pm »

We all saw the real Tannehill on display Sunday.   Better than average but not good enough to get your team over the hump.  The Chiefs contained Derrick Henry, something the Pats and Ravens couldn't do.   Once they forced Tannehill to beat them throwing the ball, it was really no contest.

Better than average is more than enough to win in this league if you have a good team around you. Going 23 for 30 for 280 yards and 2 TDs can make you a rich man in this league and better than what most teams got.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2020, 01:33:19 pm »

Tannyhill and Garrapolo should both be fined for their playoff performances. Maybe even suspended a few games next season.

You people crack me up where anything less than everything means he sucks. Garrapolo had a statistically worse game than Ryan did the whole playoffs (77 yards & 0 TDs)  and yet no one is saying he doesn't deserve to be going. Ryan had 2 TDs, zero INTs and a QBR of over 108 in the freaking AFC Championship. LOL ... 28 other starting QBs would have loved to be in that position.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2020, 01:42:14 pm »

I don't think he feels that way because there wasn't bad blood with how it ended and everyone pretty much agrees the Dolphins were the ones who screwed it up. No doubters to prove wrong when everyone basically took your side.

I don't get the sense there is a ton of bad blood.  But if he plays for NE next year it would most likely a combo of wanting to play against Mia and having respect for BB giving him the best chance to win a ring rather than NE outbidding everyone else.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2020, 01:49:55 pm »

He gets to go to the probowl now.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: