Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:22:55 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Democrat candidates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Democrat candidates  (Read 24719 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:42:50 am »

Just curious who everyone is supporting and why. From where I'm sitting it's kind of funny that the party of diversity is down to all white as well they are the party of no genders yet they are fighting over which of the two genders have a better chance of winning.

So basically ... I want to look past the humor of the situation and try and see who and why you are supporting them? If your answer is because I hate Trump then please don't answer. We have enough threads bashing him already. Besides that takes no thought. I really am curious what the candidates bring for you as a democrat as I have to believe some of their ideas are pretty far out there ... even for you.   

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 11:15:42 am »

Nobody is fighting over gender.  That is manufactured.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 11:39:03 am »

I will be voting in the republican primary this year, however,  if I was voting in .the democratic primary it would be either Sanders or Bloomberg.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:42:45 am by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 11:54:01 am »

Nobody is fighting over gender.  That is manufactured.
Are you saying there isn't a giant movement about there being more than one gender?  Because if anyone is manufacturing it, it's guys like Bill Nye.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 12:07:38 pm »

I'm not.  I'm saying that the question of "can a woman be president" like it's some Bernie vs. Warren thing is manufactured.

Some misunderstanding.  Nobody gives a shit.  Of course a woman can be president.  Bernie isn't a misogynist.  Warren isn't anti-Bernie.  CNN just wasted everyone's time with tabloid style questions, because they did a hack job of coverage.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 12:09:50 pm »

This goes beyond CNN questions. They had words backstage.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:13:42 pm »

I'm not.  I'm saying that the question of "can a woman be president" like it's some Bernie vs. Warren thing is manufactured.

Some misunderstanding.  Nobody gives a shit.  Of course a woman can be president.  Bernie isn't a misogynist.  Warren isn't anti-Bernie.  CNN just wasted everyone's time with tabloid style questions, because they did a hack job of coverage.
Yeah, I agree with you there.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 12:30:49 pm »

This goes beyond CNN questions. They had words backstage.

It doesn't matter if they did.  It's a non-issue.  It's two old people mis-remembering a conversation they had months ago. 

Bernie either didn't say it or he mispoke or they miscommunicated his idea or maybe he said it and forgot.  That happens to me all the time. 

But the content is that it doesn't matter.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 01:21:40 pm »

To get back to the OP's question, I could support Biden or Bloomberg.  My main reason for supporting any candidate is the ability to work with the other party to get things accomplished for the WHOLE country, not just the extreme bases on either side.  It's like Mick Jagger said "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need".  There are currently too many people in Congress, on both sides, that if they can't get what they want, then their answer is NO to everything.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 07:47:28 pm »

I just don’t see any of these democratic candidates beating Trump. They don’t have anyone with any substance. This election will probably come down to the devil we know.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 10:31:18 pm »

i like Sanders. he's one of the few on the democratic side with substance. He's for things .. he's been for the same stuff for decades and he hasn't changed his position.

Stuff i like specifically:

corporate money in politics - sanders doesn't take lobbyist money. When he votes for a bill or against a bill he doesn't do it because he was bribed to by a lobbyist sent by a big corporation vested in the bill outcome. I'm against bribery. Our political system is rife with bribery. This is the most important issue in politics today.

medicare for all - This is a key issue for me, it's beyond logic that the US is the richest country on the planet, pays the most for health care per capita, and has measurably worse health outcomes. The rest of the world with similar economic power per capita has any number of flavors of universal health care either paid for or heavily subsidized by taxes. This doesn't happen if insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies can bribe politicians to protect them.

ending foreign wars - yep .. 2 trillion spent in Afghanistan .. that pays for every student loan debt dollar and then some, This doesn't happen if the weapon companies and bankers can bribe politicians into protecting them.

Those are my top 3, I'm a fan of high income taxes on the upper earners, i'm a fan of capital gains taxes or speculation taxes. I don't want a milquetoast democrat that'll hold a hand out to the republicans just to get it slapped over and over again, like Obama did. I want a democrat that will champion the people and not the corporations. Someone who will actually fight the republicans instead of folding like a cheap lawn chair.

Biden is out.. hard pass - he's bought and paid for
Bloomberg is absolutely out - he's the problem
Steyer is okish - he's been consistent for years
Warren is okish - I'm not a fan of her M4A transition plan but she's good with taxes
Butigeg is out - he's bought and paid for
Yang is interesting - but uninspiring and has no track record
Sanders is my choice
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 04:04:05 pm »

I want Warren gone.

She's a poor man's Bernie, with fewer people interested in her, but mostly the same message.  But he got that corner of the market first, his message is simpler, etc.

Once she's gone, this will become a clearer picture.

I see it as basically a 3-way race: Biden, representing the old guard that is comfortable.  Bernie is the change candidate.  And then one of either Buttigieg/Bloomberg/Yang/...maybe Steyer.  Who is maybe considered moderate, but it less known.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 06:20:13 pm »

Democrats? None. A 2nd Trump term is fine with me. Besides all the infighting, manufactured outrage from the left and media. Our country is doing well. All my accounts look fabulous and are soaring. The economy is doing good. And I feel the country is strong.

Make no mistake though. Just like fucking Becky Sue on prom night, got to know when to pull out. We have a recession every 10-15 years, so we're overdue. It's a cycle and it's gonna happen regardless, especially with this long of a run up. The housing market especially. I feel sorry for anyone that bought a house anytime after 2013-2014. They gonna take a beating and better sell before the bubble pops. Now's the time to sell. If the economy holds until the election and any current democrat wins it's going to advance the process immediately. Then it's game over for the next 4-6 years if not longer and a lot everyday people will lose their ass. The recovery will be slow. Anyhow that's my take.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:21:52 pm by pondwater » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 01:42:59 am »

I want Warren gone.

She's a poor man's Bernie, with fewer people interested in her, but mostly the same message.  But he got that corner of the market first, his message is simpler, etc.
Surprised to hear you say this, as I would say something near the opposite.

Warren and Bernie are fairly close on policy - I agree with Warren on some bits and with Bernie on others - but Bernie's ideas of how to enact them are absurd.  Bernie is supposed to be the candidate of bold change, yet he is against ending the legislative filibuster and against adding seats to the Supreme Court.  Without those actions, 1) he will never get anything passed and 2) SCOTUS will strike down whatever he does get through.  For example, the idea that President Bernie will somehow pressure Mitch McConnell into not-filibustering voting rights legislation - when the passage of said legislation will directly lead to Republicans losing - is a nonsensical fantasy.

Warren is one of the few candidates left who recognizes that we are in a new political era.  There are no more "political norms"; there are people who are willing to use all the tools available to them, and there are people who are not.  Mitch McConnell is one of the former, and he has been the most effective politician of our lifetime.  Bernie has the right policy goals, but he's living in a dreamworld when it comes to how to achieve them.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 09:56:52 am »

To me, the biggest thing we need to tackle is money in politics.  It is screwing up everything for every side.  It's affects both the right and the left.  All of our politicians, regardless of issues, have to depend on corporate money to get things done. 

That's preventing anything from changing.  I think Bernie is the best person to tackle that issue.

Warren, while fine, is less electable, in my opinion.  And she's not polling as high.  So, I'd rather have her gone and bump Bernie's numbers.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray