Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:03:03 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Give me Herbert over Tua.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Give me Herbert over Tua.  (Read 39228 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: January 27, 2020, 10:41:14 am »

He's got all the upside and none of the downside and the downside of Tua isn't just his injury history, there's several things about him I'm not enamored with. I don't really care for the fact that he's a lefty. I don't really care for the fact that he's smaller in stature. I don't really care for the fact that he gets out of the pocket to make plays a good bit. Herbert is more the traditional dropback QB and I know that times are changing and yet if you give me my choice, I'd rather have the guy that does it from the pocket. I'm old school like that.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2873295-2020-nfl-draft-rumors-justin-herbert-solidified-stock-at-senior-bowl-practice
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:26:31 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:52:44 am »

I'll take a pocket passer every time.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 11:11:40 am »

I like the left handed aspect.  Yeah your offensive line needs to play differently, but so does the opposing defensive line. 

However, the team with the QB has all off season and every practice to get use to it.  The opposing team has one week.  Kinda like being the only team playing a 3-4 defense when 31 other teams play 4-3 or having a left footed punter when everyone else has a righty.

However, I am starting to like Herbert better than Tau. The good news for the Dolphins is very good chance one of the 3 top QBs. should be available at #5.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 11:15:01 am »

I like Herbert, and I'd really be OK with either Herbert or Tua for Miami. If Tua, then Fitz gets another year to start. If Herbert, I'd think he has a real chance of beating out Fitz in camp for the starting spot.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 12:11:39 pm »

Every year, there is a draft.  And because of this, every year people talk themselves into whoever happens to be available that year.  Unless this player made a clear and significant jump from the previous year, I'm much less of a fan of these "best we can do this year" QBs as a top 10 pick.

I greatly prefer QBs that have buzz a full year before they're draft eligible; QBs like Lawrence, Tua, and even Lamar Jackson.  I think there is less chance of a bust with those players.  While I acknowledge there's a risk Tua may not fully recover from his injury, I believe there is almost no risk that Tua flops due to pure lack of ability to play.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 12:29:31 pm »

Every year, there is a draft.  And because of this, every year people talk themselves into whoever happens to be available that year.  Unless this player made a clear and significant jump from the previous year, I'm much less of a fan of these "best we can do this year" QBs as a top 10 pick.

I greatly prefer QBs that have buzz a full year before they're draft eligible; QBs like Lawrence, Tua, and even Lamar Jackson.  I think there is less chance of a bust with those players.  While I acknowledge there's a risk Tua may not fully recover from his injury, I believe there is almost no risk that Tua flops due to pure lack of ability to play.
There were projections that Herbert would have been taken in the 1st round last year if he came out but decided to stay another year at Oregon. There's been a buzz about him for over a year, it's just not been as big as Tua, Lawrence etc, but before last year no one ever heard of Joe Burrow. Herbert just didn't have the 1 huge year, he's been very solid for 4 straight years albeit at Oregon, not Alabama , Clemson or LSU.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:07:04 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 12:50:52 pm »

I absolutely prefer Tua over Herbert. However, if one team trades ahead of us for Tua then I can talk myself into drafting Herbert if enough people are on board with it. I just don't want to be one of those teams that selects the draft's 39th best player at #5 just because he is a QB.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 01:13:43 pm »

There were projections that Herbert would have been taken in the 1st round last year if he came out but decided to stay another year at Oregon. There's been a buzz about him for over a year, it's just not been as big as Tua, Lawrence etc, but before last year no one ever heard of Joe Burrow. Herbert just didn't have the 1 huge year, he's been very solid for 4 straight years albeit at Oregon, not Alabama , Clemson or LSU.

Agree completely...Herbert would have been considered a top-10 pick last year, just like this year. 6'6" QBs who have accuracy and a modicum of mobility will always make scouts drool a bit.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 01:22:22 pm »

Herbert is Tannehill, no thanks.  I'd rather take Love over Herbert, there is way better talent with that first 1st round pick than Herbert, and Love can be taken later in the draft.  This is all if Tua isn't available anymore of course.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 02:02:20 pm »

Tua will never start a 16 game season in the NFL
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 03:25:29 pm »

Hell, we have plenty of holes to fill. But we also have plenty of draft ammo. You could actually draft 2 QBs if you wanted to. Grade out all the QBs and pick in order of who's left. Someone will be there at 5, someone will be there at 18, and someone will be there in the 2nd round. Would make for an interesting camp, haha.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 03:48:44 pm »

I would hate for us to trade up for anything.  We could Sign Vaiti or another FA tackle, sign the best guard as there are a couple in FA, draft Tyler Biadasz from Wisconsin and put him at the other guard with Kilgore at center...can move Biadasz to center in 2021...draft a project tackle in the 2nd or 3rd round. Offensive line would be world's better and we still have many draft picks for EDGE QB RB CB etc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:55:38 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 04:15:30 pm »

There were projections that Herbert would have been taken in the 1st round last year if he came out but decided to stay another year at Oregon.
I don't remember anyone in 2018 salivating about the 2019 draft being the the year Herbert could be available, and he didn't have the kind of miracle 2019 season that propelled Burrow to #1.  Herbert's 2019 was unexceptional; not bad, but certainly no reason to be more confident in him as a prospect than a year ago.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 04:48:35 pm »

I don't remember anyone in 2018 salivating about the 2019 draft being the the year Herbert could be available, and he didn't have the kind of miracle 2019 season that propelled Burrow to #1.  Herbert's 2019 was unexceptional; not bad, but certainly no reason to be more confident in him as a prospect than a year ago.
He also didn't have what could be a career ending injury.

Just because you don't remember them talking about Herbert, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Maybe you never heard about him because he decided to return to Oregon instead of entering the draft. If he had, you would have certainly known who he is. By the time the draft rolls around you'll have heard plenty.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/03/justin-herbert-oregon-quarterback-2019-nfl-draft

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Justin-Herbert.asp
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:07:04 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 04:49:28 pm »

He seems like a guy that has the mold to be a great franchise QB without the results so far. I don't know if I would want him with the #5 pick, seems too high for someone with very nice college numbers but nothing spectacular. Not even Top 30 in yards. The Chargers will absolutely take him at #6 though, he won't fall any farther than that unless an arrest or injury comes up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray