Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:02:30 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Give me Herbert over Tua.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Give me Herbert over Tua.  (Read 39400 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 05:58:27 pm »

Just because you don't remember them talking about Herbert, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Maybe you never heard about him because he decided to return to Oregon instead of entering the draft. If he had, you would have certainly known who he is.
Sorry, I said "2018" where I should have said "2017" (as 2018 would be the season directly before Herbert's first eligible draft).  What I'm saying is that with great prospects like Luck, there was a lot of talk of their future availability during draft analysis the year before, just as we discussed Tua last year and are discussing Lawrence now.  Herbert never had that kind of discussion.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 06:04:11 pm »

Tua will never start a 16 game season in the NFL
Once again: if Tua had an injury-free 2019, there's no way he makes it past Dan Snyder's pick.  If MIA wanted a less risky pick at QB, they should have kept starting Rosen.

Any QB available at the 5th pick is going to have concerns about a) injury b) character or c) talent.  I'm fine with option A.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:07:02 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 07:24:14 pm »

Hell, we have plenty of holes to fill. But we also have plenty of draft ammo. You could actually draft 2 QBs if you wanted to. Grade out all the QBs and pick in order of who's left. Someone will be there at 5, someone will be there at 18, and someone will be there in the 2nd round. Would make for an interesting camp, haha.

Do that and volunteer for hard knocks.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 12:11:08 am »

He seems like a guy that has the mold to be a great franchise QB without the results so far. I don't know if I would want him with the #5 pick, seems too high for someone with very nice college numbers but nothing spectacular. Not even Top 30 in yards. The Chargers will absolutely take him at #6 though, he won't fall any farther than that unless an arrest or injury comes up.

The thing is Miami doesn't have to take a QB with their 5th pick, they can draft a LT.  The Chargers will take a QB at #6, and after that, unless someone trades up, no QB will be taken before Miami's next pick.  So Miami could either get Tua or Herbert with their later first round pick.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 12:11:32 am »

He's got all the upside and none of the downside and the downside of Tua isn't just his injury history, there's several things about him I'm not enamored with. I don't really care for the fact that he's a lefty. I don't really care for the fact that he's smaller in stature. I don't really care for the fact that he gets out of the pocket to make plays a good bit. Herbert is more the traditional dropback QB and I know that times are changing and yet if you give me my choice, I'd rather have the guy that does it from the pocket. I'm old school like that.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2873295-2020-nfl-draft-rumors-justin-herbert-solidified-stock-at-senior-bowl-practice

I agree with you completely.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 11:04:21 am »

The thing is Miami doesn't have to take a QB with their 5th pick, they can draft a LT.  The Chargers will take a QB at #6, and after that, unless someone trades up, no QB will be taken before Miami's next pick.  So Miami could either get Tua or Herbert with their later first round pick.

There will never be a better time to get a franchise QB than right now. Great quarterbacks almost never become free agents and we won't be bad enough next year to get the #1 pick and draft the kid from Clemson. Not saying Tua or Herbert are guarantees but it's a lot safer bet that Tua becomes a franchise QB than it is some project we draft in the 3rd round.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 11:50:27 am »

I'm firmly convinced that if Tua stays healthy he's a star.  His ability to read a defense and his accuracy is top notch.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 12:23:36 pm »

I'm firmly convinced that if Tua stays healthy he's a star.  His ability to read a defense and his accuracy is top notch.

Yeah, I don't think there are many arguments about what he can do on the field, he has all the tools. Just have to worry about injuries and that's a legit concern. However, the devastation to this fanbase that will happen if we pass on him and he makes 9 Pro Bowls with the Chargers is going to be enough to break even the oldest fan.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 01:06:12 pm »

However, the devastation to this fanbase that will happen if we pass on him and he makes 9 Pro Bowls with the Chargers is going to be enough to break even the oldest fan.

Would that be much different if the Dolphins draft Tua then the Chargers draft Herbert and Tua spends more time on IR than on the field and Herbert becomes a franchise QB? 

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 01:15:17 pm »

Once again: if Tua had an injury-free 2019, there's no way he makes it past Dan Snyder's pick.  If MIA wanted a less risky pick at QB, they should have kept starting Rosen.

Any QB available at the 5th pick is going to have concerns about a) injury b) character or c) talent.  I'm fine with option A.

I assume you mean this draft? Regardless, how many top QBs in the league right now were drafted 1-5? Mark my words, drafting Tua will be second to drafting Dion Jordan only because the Phins moved up to get him.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 01:18:38 pm »

There will never be a better time to get a franchise QB than right now. Great quarterbacks almost never become free agents and we won't be bad enough next year to get the #1 pick and draft the kid from Clemson. Not saying Tua or Herbert are guarantees but it's a lot safer bet that Tua becomes a franchise QB than it is some project we draft in the 3rd round.

Most franchise QBs are not top 5 picks right now.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 02:45:34 pm »

Slightly less than half (15) of the qbs that started week 17 for their team were first round.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 03:29:28 pm »

This argument suggests drafting Herbert is also a bad idea, because if MIA wants a franchise QB, they should:

- pick a QB in the 6th round
- find an anticipated top pick in freefall and pick him in the bottom third of the first round
- find another team's discarded starter (with injury concerns)
- pick a QB in the 3rd round
- find a QB with questions about his ability to adapt to the pro game and pick him in the middle of the first

Or, you know, pick in the top 5.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 03:36:35 pm »

Would that be much different if the Dolphins draft Tua then the Chargers draft Herbert and Tua spends more time on IR than on the field and Herbert becomes a franchise QB?
Yes, it would.  After all, Luck didn't have injury concerns coming out of college, and we all see how that turned out.

Any QB can get injured, but at least Tua doesn't have questions about his talent.  Like Tunsil, Tua is exactly the kind of gamble the Dolphins should take: a player whose talent would normally place him out of the Dolphins' reach, but who they may be able to acquire anyway due to unexpected misfortune.

Tunsil also could have been the next Josh Gordon... but he wasn't.  Those are the kind of gambles this team should take, instead of reaching for the next Blaine Gabbert.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:33:36 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 05:20:38 pm »

I've been around a long time and it seems to me that drafting a good QB has as much to do with luck as it does with preparation. I wasn't a big Herbert fan but I'm not a big fan of Tua because of his size and injury record. I have come to love Joe Burrow but past records prove that he's not a given. With that said ...for once I'm going to sit back and let Chris Grier pick and then wait and see. As you all have proven in this thread ... any pick is risky but also potentially the one to make. For once I'm actually glad I'm not the one making that call ... LOL.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray