Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:02 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Give me Herbert over Tua.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Give me Herbert over Tua.  (Read 38641 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2020, 12:01:48 am »

Agreed. We need all of our 1st rounders, we can't trade them "just in case".

stay pat .. having more 1st round picks is better than less first round picks and any qb in this draft

Trading up with DET right now would likely only cost MIA a second-round pick (#39).  That price is likely to increase as we get closer to the draft, and if Tua's pro day goes well, that price explodes.

The reason why I'm in favor of trading up now is that if Dan Snyder does Dan Snyder things and picks Tua, MIA gets Chase Young.  You aren't going to trade DET out of Chase Young on draft day without a major haul.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:04:40 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2020, 09:12:37 am »

Trading up with DET right now would likely only cost MIA a second-round pick (#39).  That price is likely to increase as we get closer to the draft, and if Tua's pro day goes well, that price explodes.

The reason why I'm in favor of trading up now is that if Dan Snyder does Dan Snyder things and picks Tua, MIA gets Chase Young.  You aren't going to trade DET out of Chase Young on draft day without a major haul.

If the price is just the 2nd rounder and guaranteed Tua or Chase Young, then I would do it. I don't like it but I would do it to guarantee one of the two. However, if it's a 1st rounder? Just roll the dice. I'm in a weird spot because I desperately want Tua but I don't want to trade draft picks for him. I hope those wins by us don't prove too costly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:28:36 am by EDGECRUSHER » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2020, 09:34:24 am »

I figured WR was were we're most stacked, there are some good EDGE and Olinemen in that range.

I really wouldn't have any issues with an Edge or O-line at that spot, but I am higher than most on Jefferson, and have him as my #3 WR in this class, behind only Jeudy and Lamb.  If Miami came out of round 1 with Tua, Jefferson and Biadasz, I'd feel really good about the foundation of Miami's offense for the next 4-5 years.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2020, 10:00:46 am »

If the price is just the 2nd rounder and guaranteed Tua or Chase Young, then I would do it. I don't like it but I would do it to guarantee one of the two. However, if it's a 1st rounder? Just roll the dice. I'm in a weird spot because I desperately want Tua but I don't want to trade draft picks for him. I hope those wins by us don't prove too costly.

It is theoretically possible to trade with the lions and neither Tua or Young is available.....but then you get Burrow.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2020, 10:35:47 am »

It is theoretically possible to trade with the lions and neither Tua or Young is available.....but then you get Burrow.

That would be more than fine by me. The goal is a franchise QB now because any thought about drafting Lawrence next year is unrealistic as it doesn't take into account we won't be going 1-15 and we won't want to trade 5 1st Rounders to move up.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2020, 03:03:46 pm »

I think the consensus is any of those three is a great way to start the draft.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2020, 03:17:29 pm »

I think the consensus is any of those three is a great way to start the draft.

Chase Young is only a great consolation prize if we don't have to spend two 1st rounders on him. Otherwise, it's a disaster.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2020, 02:10:36 am »

Chase Young is only a great consolation prize if we don't have to spend two 1st rounders on him. Otherwise, it's a disaster.
This is why I'm saying MIA should trade up now, while the price is only an extra 2nd.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2020, 09:37:08 am »

This is why I'm saying MIA should trade up now, while the price is only an extra 2nd.
Unrealistic, that won't happen before the draft.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2020, 01:44:38 pm »

Explain why Detroit would be willing to trade on a discount in February?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2020, 02:52:19 pm »

Explain why Detroit would be willing to trade on a discount in February?
Tua's Pro Day might go poorly, or he may not be able to participate at all.  If that happens, Young is definitely going 2nd and the market for Tua will be significantly reduced; I doubt anyone is going to trade up with DET to make sure they can nab Jeff Okudah or Jedrick Wills.  That's why DET takes a discount in February: the future is unknown.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2020, 10:01:39 am »

I'll just leave this here. Yes it's probably a smoke screen, but I always say where there's smoke there's fire. I think there's at least a bit of truth to the story. I think the Dolphins would be wise to stay where they are at #5 and take the best QB available to them whether that's Herbert, Tua or Burrows.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article240357851.html

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2020, 10:07:08 am »

Our old buddy Tommy compared Herbert to Brock Osweiller on FB this morning and I swear it immediately clicked. That's exactly who he reminds me of.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2020, 10:57:02 am »

I agree, it is probably a smoke screen.  I'm pretty set on taking Tua, if we don't get him at 5 I'll be disappointed a little.  I really don't won't Herbert.  I would be okay with best player available in the first round (not a QB) and taking Love in the 2nd round, as I think Love > Herbert.  Love can read through his progressions, everything I've seen from Herbert is one or two reads and throw.  Love is a two or even three year project QB though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:03:26 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2020, 02:22:59 pm »

Love can read through his progressions, everything I've seen from Herbert is one or two reads and throw.
I think reading progressions is overrated. Great QB's don't go through progressions, there's really not enough time to check on each receiver to see if they are open, they see the entire field or at least they see what they need to see to know who the open receiver should be and they get the ball to the right guy. I remember once they asked Dan Marino how he did it and he said "Pick a guy and let it fly". You didn't see him going through progressions he just knew based on the coverage and the routes run who was the right guy to throw to and he had enough arm talent to get the ball to him no matter who it was or where that was. That's a great QB. Now I don't know enough about Herbert to know if he can do that, but he's proven whatever he does, he does it pretty well.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray