Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:48:11 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  XFL season starts Saturday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: XFL season starts Saturday  (Read 12540 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 07:23:55 pm »

I like the new rules.   Particularly with conversions, new style of kickoff, and the TV technology that lets you listen to locker room speeches and sideline communications.   But MAAAAAAAAANNNNN.   Trestman was garbage in the NFL and he's going to be garbage in this league.  He proved that today.   And our QB is just like Jameis.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 10:34:30 am »

Initial reports are pretty positive. Already light years ahead of the last test league. We will have to see if it can hold up.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 10:46:57 am »

Maybe the Vipers will bench Aaron Murray who is terrible for my boy Quentin Flowers this week.  Vipers had no offense until Flower went in, they drove down the field to the goal line, then they pull him and have to settle for a FG.  SMH.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 12:02:54 pm »

Maybe the Vipers will bench Aaron Murray who is terrible for my boy Quentin Flowers this week.  Vipers had no offense until Flower went in, they drove down the field to the goal line, then they pull him and have to settle for a FG.  SMH.

He didn't do much better.   The fucked up thing is we had the most yards of any team total offense in week 1.  And only 3 points to show for it.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 12:12:24 pm »

He didn't do much better.   The fucked up thing is we had the most yards of any team total offense in week 1.  And only 3 points to show for it.
He did do much better, they actually moved the ball when he was on the field.
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 12:14:08 pm »

I was in DC on a business trip  so i figured i would catch a game. I was not disappointed.  The crowd was in it, and it was damn good foot ball. Not like the gimmick back in 2001.  Game is a lot faster,  and yes we all know that this isnt NFL -level talent but it was great to see guys get theor 2nd, 3rd or even last chance for the game they enjoy to play.   Whats an option when the NFL doesn't work,  Canada or arena.  With the NBA, they got the g-league. MLB has the Minors at many different levels. So why not have football in the spring.  And its great timing. Wont interfere too much with MLB Spring training (Which I dont watch anyways),  NBA still going , March Madness not much interference, and ends right before the NFL draft.  Its a good time to watch.   At least this XLF this time inst  trying to rival the NFL.  This XFL has potential this time around and so far seems to have a stronger financial backing.  

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 02:12:47 pm »

Reports have been positive so far but I don't think any game topped 18,000 in the stands and this was the first game. I don't see it being financially feasible.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 03:41:18 pm »

Reports have been positive so far but I don't think any game topped 18,000 in the stands and this was the first game. I don't see it being financially feasible.
McMahon has pledged 375 million to cover the first three years of operation. His hope is that during year three he gets a TV deal, as well as other deals, to start making that money back. That's why he is giving everything away for free right now. It's the easiest way to advertise.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:43:04 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 03:42:12 pm »

I actually watched a little bit of a couple of the XFL games this weekend, and they definitely seemed like better football than the first version of XFL. I do like a couple of the gimmicks for the league...especially being able to listen to the coach on the sideline sending in the plays.

Not sure how closely I'll follow this league, but I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of play this weekend.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 09:15:27 am »

McMahon has pledged 375 million to cover the first three years of operation. His hope is that during year three he gets a TV deal, as well as other deals, to start making that money back. That's why he is giving everything away for free right now. It's the easiest way to advertise.

Deals like getting people to buy the teams.   Right now, just like the AAF, he owns all the teams and has employed GMs to handle player and coaching personnel matters.  The difference is, this league has the funding to last three years.    The AAF didn't have the funding to last three weeks.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 01:57:57 pm »

Go back and read the AAF thread again. Several people talked about how the league was sitting pretty with invested money.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 02:44:33 pm »

Go back and read the AAF thread again. Several people talked about how the league was sitting pretty with invested money.
I remember and it turns out they didn't. I believe McMahon has the money he says he is investing.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 02:46:01 pm »

And if that's the case, why did they have to get a $250 million bailout by week 3 or they weren't going to be able to make payroll?

I remember and it turns out they didn't. I believe McMahon has the money he says he is investing.

And that's the difference.  McMahon has money and is willing to throw it at this league.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 03:21:33 pm »

And that's the difference.  McMahon has money and is willing to throw it at this league.
Then that begs the question. Why did it fail last time?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2020, 02:21:54 pm »

Then that begs the question. Why did it fail last time?

Because it cared more about gimmicks than football last time.

Don't mistake my point. I hope it does well, I'm just skeptical of a league that folded once, hasless attendance than a hockey game and has a similar story of money on hand as the last league that folded.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray