Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:56:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  XFL season starts Saturday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: XFL season starts Saturday  (Read 12547 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 03:37:35 pm »

Then that begs the question. Why did it fail last time?

McMahon's ego. He wanted to destroy the NFL as opposed to just make a financially successful league that could've lasted over time on a smaller scale. I don't think he thinks that way anymore. He is much better prepared this time by funding the league for 3 years and not being too silly and "Xtreme" like having two people literally fighting over a ball to see who gets it first rather than a coin toss.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 11:30:53 pm »

Don't mistake my point. I hope it does well, I'm just skeptical of a league that folded once, hasless attendance than a hockey game and has a similar story of money on hand as the last league that folded.

Money on hand and willingness to spend it are two different things.   The AAF folded because the chairman wasn't willing to spend anymore.

DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 09:55:05 am »

Then that begs the question. Why did it fail last time?

2001 XFL  Failed due to gimmicky football, fans not buying in to the product, TV deals failed.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2020, 09:51:52 am »

2001 XFL  Failed due to gimmicky football, fans not buying in to the product, TV deals failed.

Yeah, other than the league name and Vince McMahon, this XFL is nothing like the last XFL. It *is* a lot like the AAF and the myriad of previous spring leagues, though. Plenty of them have seen decent ratings initially, but the willingness to spend money for years has not been present. Time will tell if McMahon is willing to put up for 3 years as reported. It's easy to say he will at this point, but when he's sunk $250 million after two years and those big TV contracts are still nowhere to be found, ponying up another $125 million for season 3 gets a lot harder.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2020, 10:05:08 am »

They need some QBs.  I'm not sure how they will survive when you always leave wanting more.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 09:13:11 am »

It'll be interesting to see the TV ratings for week 3. Actual game attendance has been up every week, but ratings for week 2 (Daytona 500 competition) was pretty soft. Week 1 can be a major outlier in terms of ratings, but one thing XFL has going for it is that ratings have actually increased from kickoff to the end of the game indicating that people are liking the product (enough not to switch channels). The old XFL was the other way around. Ratings plummeted not only week to week, but also during games.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2020, 10:00:19 am »

I think it really helps it have it so accessible. I turned the game on last night just because it was on tv and I didn't have anything else to watch. I think McMahan's plan is pretty smart. We'll have to see if it works out in the long run.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2020, 11:06:09 pm »

Quentin Flowers has left the Vipers.  He played lights out in the first half last Saturday then got benched despite the crowd chanting for him.   

The coaches for the Vipers are completely clueless and after only three games, fans are already calling for Trestman's head.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2020, 07:38:28 am »

Quentin Flowers has left the Vipers.  He played lights out in the first half last Saturday then got benched despite the crowd chanting for him.   

The coaches for the Vipers are completely clueless and after only three games, fans are already calling for Trestman's head.
I no longer have a reason to watch.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2020, 08:04:57 pm »

I no longer have a reason to watch.

I'll be at tomorrow's game.  Sad to say, I bought tickets before the season started

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2020, 10:37:02 am »

Vipers got their first win old school style against D.C. pulling off a big upset with a 25-0 victory.   They shut down a very good offense by keeping it off the field with a ground and pound type game.  They rushed for over 200 yards and Taylor Cornelius is looking better every week.   This is a talented team that has been hampered by Trestman's shitty play calling in the first two games, but now that he's handed that over to the OC, this team has looked way better.   Six more games to go.

fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2020, 10:43:25 am »

^ Ratings continue to drop and no one knows where the floor is. I'd love to see a profile on who actually watches these games.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2020, 11:03:31 am »

^ Ratings continue to drop and no one knows where the floor is. I'd love to see a profile on who actually watches these games.

I watched a couple of games the first two weeks, but lost interest pretty quickly after that.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2020, 01:54:26 pm »

I don't mind  being the I told you so guy.
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2020, 03:22:24 pm »

Rating will drop, that's normal. Every leage goes through it after the initial game.  But the past XFL weekend has pulled way more viewers than the AAF.  Also, this past weekend the XFL rating were a lot better than the NFL combine, MLS, MLB.  only The NCAA and NBA game pulled more viewers than the XFL  this past weekend ( FEB 29 & MAR 1)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray