Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:27:24 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Super Bowl live blog
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Super Bowl live blog  (Read 4208 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 02:04:16 pm »

I don't know what you're talking about, Superbowl seemed to be officiated okay.

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-Super-Bowl-refs-Chiefs-calls-officiating-PI-15024948.php \
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:06:42 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 02:07:33 pm »

Hell of a year for your team, Sunstroke.  And what an improvement from last year.  Plenty for ya'll to hold your head high about.  I can't say one thing or another about the game because literally the only part I watched was Shakira shaking her azz at halftime.  I didn't watch one play of the game or Jennifer Lopez. 

I read through a live blog on a 49ers site and their attitudes were very, very different

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 02:52:37 pm »

I read through a live blog on a 49ers site and their attitudes were very, very different

You took time away from analyzing all the ways the officials might be screwing up? Say it ain't so!!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 03:00:07 pm »

I wonder is there a way to clearly define a push-off?

On the Kittle play, I would say at least 50% of the time that would not be called, even though technically, Kittle does push.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 08:14:17 pm »

I have mixed emotions about how the Superbowl played out this year, it was really an odd game. An odd day for me too, I usually get the time off work to see it live but couldn't this time - I recorded it and had a total media embargo to ensure I did not know the result or highlights until I saw the replay that night!

Before the game my heart was hoping the Chiefs would win (so good to see Andy Reid finally become a Superbowl winning coach) while my head was thinking the 49ers defense would be too strong.

By the end, I got the odd feeling that maybe the better team on the day lost. Yes it's true that champion teams do the important things when it matters, and the Chiefs certainly did just that. The only thing is, like the Patriots against the Falcons a few years ago, they really should not have got the opportunity...

For a large chunk of game the 49ers dominated, and Mahomes was at best very ordinary under pressure from Bosa & company, some of his passes were downright terrible - yes he came through on the final two scoring drives, but I agree with the comment that Williams really should have been the MVP.

On the flip side, there was a long stretch where Garoppolo could basically do no wrong - he had what, 14 completions out of 16 passes at one stage with a QB rating of around 127? Then came the turning points of the game deep in the last quarter...

Shannahan & the 49ers coaches choked - after so much success from getting in Mahomes face, they went to a prevent defense which gave him way too much time to fire the deep pass to Hill who found a hole in the zone. This gave them the momentum & position to get the score and be back in the contest.

In contrast, Reid & Spags defensively turned the dogs loose and dialled up the blitzes to deny Garoppolo the time to pick them apart (which he had done for over half the game) which led to in my opinion the biggest turning point of all, the missed call for a helmet to helmet hit on Jimmy G.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1224161619439165441

Every other day of the season this is a roughing the passer personal foul, 15 year penalty and automatic first down. Even with a concussed QB at the very least the 49ers could have run three rushing plays and burned somewhere between 90-110 seconds off the clock (or forced KC to burn their timeouts) and that's without getting a first down which in itself would be pretty close to icing the game in the 49ers favour. After that the rest is history.

I would not call the officials biased (even though it was amusing to see the referee after the 49ers had won the coin toss and defer, turn to KC and ask what they wanted to do: did they want to receive the kick?!) but the standard was very poor, especially for a Superbowl. It seems like they were instructed to stay out of the game as much as possible and only call the extremely obvious (like the two correct pass interference calls which I have absolutely no issues with) but they choked at crucial times. They refused to call holding penalties all day. They also muffed on a delay of game and encroachment penalty near the end of the game when it was still in the balance - you could see the whistle in the referee's mouth, he literally choked on it! Just terrible.

So that's it for another season. While I am happy that Andy Reid, Mahomes and KC won it, the Referees impact on the outcome along with the 49ers coaches giving the game away has really left me feeling a bit sour. Kind of sums up my last year (or two).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:15:10 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 10:55:22 am »

You can thank your former QB, the Comeback Player of the Year for that. 
The Comeback Player of the Year being traded to Tennessee is the reason that Fitzmagic is in Miami so technically he's responsible for both things.  Evil

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 03:01:39 pm »

The officiating definitely favored KC, that's for sure.

One question, after the final touchdown, wouldn't it be better NOT to try the extra point and just take a knee?  By trying the extra point, you leave the option open of a block being run back for two points, making it a one score game.

I swear I can tell with near perfect accuracy which posts are yours without being able to see the poster name (mobile, while left column with that stuff is off screen).

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 04:03:27 am »

I wonder is there a way to clearly define a push-off?

On the Kittle play, I would say at least 50% of the time that would not be called, even though technically, Kittle does push.

The clear way to define a push off is... what Kittle did in the Superbowl.

It was extremely obvious live at the time, so obvious that I called it before the flags were thrown and the commentators picked it. He pushed off so hard while the DB was looking back for the ball you could see daylight either side of his arms when he fully extended!

Like I said in the other thread, I have absolutely no issue with this penalty as it was so obvious, and the same with the PI call later on the game on the 49ers - their fans have nothing to complain about with these two calls...

On the other hand, the miss of the helmet to helmet hit on Jimmy G and other non-calls in the game are another matter.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:08:01 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 05:15:40 am »

On the other hand, the miss of the helmet to helmet hit on Jimmy G and other non-calls in the game are another matter.

There seemed to be a lot of "hits to the head and neck area of the quarterback" that didn't get called in the Super Bowl. They weren't really forceful, but that hasn't prevented them from being called during the regular season.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2020, 10:49:06 am »

There seemed to be a lot of "hits to the head and neck area of the quarterback" that didn't get called in the Super Bowl. They weren't really forceful, but that hasn't prevented them from being called during the regular season.
Always seems like there's more emphasis on those types of calls early in the season and then less as the season wears on, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. The calls early on set the tone and then as the season wears on you let the players play football. I'm okay with this.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2020, 11:43:31 am »

Kittle pushed off...I had no problem with that call at all. I'm still shaking my head a little that the contact to Jimmy-G's helmet wasn't called, but that's the way those things go sometimes.

The 49ers have a young, talented core of players, a stable front office/coaching staff, and the greatest fans on the planet<g>, so I fully expect to see them back in the SB next season.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray