Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:49:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  So what do you think of this idea?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: So what do you think of this idea?  (Read 1637 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: February 20, 2020, 01:59:40 am »

The crawl at TGIF's said that the NFL is considering 7 playoff teams and 1 bye in 2020.

I think this is a good idea.  Sure makes it more fair for the Miami Dolphins, who never have a chance of winning their division HAHA

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 07:41:02 am »

More playoff teams playing for the championship is good IMO.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 09:10:50 am »

No, don't like it. I'm sure the owners and players will but 6 teams per conference is enough. Don't want to become the NBA and NHL where more than half the league makes the playoffs.

This just opens the door for more 8-8 teams to make it based off of tiebreakers, that sucks.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:00:23 am »

Doesn't bother me. I also hope they get that 17th game since they seem to want to send our teams elsewhere every year. One game on neutral ground would be better than loosing a home game.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 11:01:21 am »

I would normally be against this kind of thing, but the NFL has a unique problem where it very regularly doesn't feel like best 6 teams from the conference get in.  6 was perfect when there were 3 divisions, but moving to 4 makes it so that you're often gifting a spot to a middle-of the-road team.  This would definitely help remedy that.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 03:19:36 pm »

I am not a big supporter of it.  The current system ain't broken, so don't fix it.

However, the concerns that this will allow mediocre teams into the playoffs is overblown.  Rarely does the 4th seed has a better record than the 7th seed.  So the added team is actually better then some existing teams. 

For me the open question is will this improve or hurt the quality of week 17 games. With another spot you could have more meaningful games.  But it is also possible a team that clinched their division but is out of it for the one seed will rest starters rather than play for the two seed.  Likewise clinched wildcard team might rest players considering the difference between 5 and 7 unimportant.

Not sure how this would have helped the Dolphins in recent history.  When was the last time Miami was the 7 seed?  NEP would have benifited if this was the system in 2008.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 04:14:13 pm »

I am not a big supporter of it.  The current system ain't broken, so don't fix it.

However, the concerns that this will allow mediocre teams into the playoffs is overblown.  Rarely does the 4th seed has a better record than the 7th seed.  So the added team is actually better then some existing teams. 

For me the open question is will this improve or hurt the quality of week 17 games. With another spot you could have more meaningful games.  But it is also possible a team that clinched their division but is out of it for the one seed will rest starters rather than play for the two seed.  Likewise clinched wildcard team might rest players considering the difference between 5 and 7 unimportant.

Not sure how this would have helped the Dolphins in recent history.  When was the last time Miami was the 7 seed?  NEP would have benifited if this was the system in 2008.

I think this opens the door for 8-8 teams to make the playoffs, this year alone would've saw a few make it with just 8 wins. That isn't playoff football to me. The system is just fine the way it is now.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 05:33:46 pm »

I would normally be against this kind of thing, but the NFL has a unique problem where it very regularly doesn't feel like best 6 teams from the conference get in.  6 was perfect when there were 3 divisions, but moving to 4 makes it so that you're often gifting a spot to a middle-of the-road team.  This would definitely help remedy that.

Well put Dave

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 01:54:10 pm »

At a glance one team would make it at 8-8. I like the idea.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 02:32:02 pm »

In theory you could have an entire division represented in the playoffs.  Unlikely as that would require the fourth place team of the division to have a better record than the 2nd place team in all three of the other divisions, but it is theoretically possible. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray