Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:52:47 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Trump's Honesty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Trump's Honesty  (Read 6700 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 10:37:22 am »

Trump's motivation for his announcements is to drive public opinion related to the virus, and downplay it to the public to move the stock market.  Trump's only kudos for his entire administration is related to return on investment, (yay, 409k!) and the stock market has taken a beating recently due to speculation related to the virus.

Trump's downplay of the virus is an attempt to downplay concern that negatively impacted the economy.

The fact that I see people I respect in this thread who recite the rhetoric of "corrupt mainstream media" is saddening.  I thought we were better than that.  Donald Trump only cares about his self image and how great everyone thinks he is.  He has never admitted he is wrong (remember the Dorian Sharpie map?), and continues to blame everything negative on Obama.  That's why you can't trust anything he says.  He's a spin doctor, who is only concerned with protecting his brand.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 11:02:18 am »

You guys are fucking hilarious.  Democrats don't lie, they are the moral compass of America!  They ALL lie to get what they want and to look good, even Obama.  Trump doing it is nothing new.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/365393-how-quickly-ny-times-forgets-obamas-lies-and-frauds

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 11:14:31 am »

You guys are fucking hilarious.  Democrats don't lie, they are the moral compass of America!  They ALL lie to get what they want and to look good, even Obama.  Trump doing it is nothing new.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/365393-how-quickly-ny-times-forgets-obamas-lies-and-frauds

Obama’s total number of false statement in 8 years in office is less than the number of false statements Trump makes in 8 minutes.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 11:15:54 am »

Obama’s total number of false statement in 8 years in office is less than the number of false statements Trump makes in 8 minutes.
That's a false statement, thanks for playing. Oh, are you embellishing something to make a point?  LIAR!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 01:16:30 pm »

That's a false statement, thanks for playing. Oh, are you embellishing something to make a point?  LIAR!
When he says "no one knows [insert random topic here] like I do..."  -  That's embellishment.  However, when he says "the crowd at my inauguration ceremony was the biggest of all time" - that's not embellishment, its simply untrue.  If he could learn how to speak in anything other than hyperbole, it would help.

Also, Hoodie isn't the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES. Roll Eyes
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2020, 01:40:08 pm »

Saw an interview with Dr Drew and I tend to agree with his assessment. The media driven panic over coronavirus is a bigger problem than the virus itself. That by no means mean that there is no concern about the virus.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2020, 08:00:41 pm »

https://mobile.twitter.com/rationalsquad/status/1235636443369873415

So the father of the Tea Party, CNBC's Rick Santelli, went on the air to suggest that maybe we should just infect everyone with coronavirus.  That way we could just get this over with, and the markets could stabilize.

Using the global fatality rate for coronavirus, if the entire US were to be infected, that would result in over 9 million deaths.  (I am not accounting for the huge increase in fatality rate that would accompany our medical infrastructure being blown apart at the seams.)  But at least Rick Santelli's retirement portfolio would stop losing value!

I'm sorry but if plutocrats like this don't make you vote for Democrats then you are just evil.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:09:02 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 09:08:12 am »

https://mobile.twitter.com/rationalsquad/status/1235636443369873415

So the father of the Tea Party, CNBC's Rick Santelli, went on the air to suggest that maybe we should just infect everyone with coronavirus.  That way we could just get this over with, and the markets could stabilize.

Using the global fatality rate for coronavirus, if the entire US were to be infected, that would result in over 9 million deaths.  (I am not accounting for the huge increase in fatality rate that would accompany our medical infrastructure being blown apart at the seams.)  But at least Rick Santelli's retirement portfolio would stop losing value!

I'm sorry but if plutocrats like this don't make you vote for Democrats then you are just evil.

Are you okay?  You must have pulled your back stretching that far.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 09:33:20 am »

^^^^ Pretty sure in was a parody of this even more convoluted post. http://www.thedolphinsmakemecry.com/forums/index.php?topic=26120.0

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2020, 12:50:37 pm »

Ain't no crazy like political discussion crazy.  Well, religion discussions run a close second.   Whether here, facebook, the workplace, the local bar, etc.   Political discussions are hilarious as both sides throw out comments that aren't even remotely rooted in reality or truth. 
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 08:44:27 am »

Saw an interview with Dr Drew and I tend to agree with his assessment. The media driven panic over coronavirus is a bigger problem than the virus itself. That by no means mean that there is no concern about the virus.

I don't disagree with this (although I think Dr. Drew is a quack, in general).  I also think the "this will blow over like everything else does" *thing* is a really dangerous mindset.  Things don't "blow over," they are fought back with science and effort (example, SARS could have been much, much worse; this is a perfect example of science staging). 

I understand the general concern.  Let's do an experiment, follow along -

I gather 10 people, place them into a room.  In this room three people have previously had, or have been exposed to influenza strain A.  Three have been exposed to strain B.  An additional three, plus the previous six (so, all nine) have been exposed to H1N1 (this is "swine flu").  So, basically a good portion of the control group have been exposed to the general seasonal flu in one form, or another.  The 10th person has never been exposed to any form of the virus.  Three situations, same closed room:

1:  I send an actively sick person into the room with H3N2 (subset of A).  There is a very good chance the people who have been exposed to the A virus, as well as H1N1 (which is also a subset of A) will produce an response and may not get the virus at all.  The people who have been exposed to the B virus only may have the same result, or may get a blunted result (they may get sick and have a shorter duration disease - the body is basically saying "hey, I've seen something like this, I know how to fight it).  The person who has never seen it may get the brunt of it and get very sick. 

2:  Same situation, B strain Victoria.  Most likely everyone in the room who has not experienced a level of sickness from a B strain will encounter a level of sickness, the more severe sickness will be reserved (again) for the folks not exposed to the virus at all.  However, in this case, everyone may see equal levels.

3:  Expose the group to H5N1.  40-60% of the control group is dead within two weeks (kind estimate); this is avian flu which no one has an immune response to and, unlike other flu, produces more than respiratory symptoms. 

Number 3 is why people are in a panic, the introduction of "novel."  A virus is alive and, like any living thing, it wants to remain this way.  Virus' mutate and change; the current Coronavirus has already evolved into two strains; scientists are debating and have no idea how to understand it yet (it's taken years to understand the flu and, at times, they still don't understand that).  Put into lament terms; the thought it there is a reason why some people get violently ill and some do not with covid-19 (more aggressive versus less aggressive strains). Like my analogy above, neither of which any of our bodies have been exposed to.

So - if you're within six feet or so within exposed droplets, you're not in a good position.  I mean, it's a virus, and it's the same family as the common cold. 

On one hand we see China building hospitals in a period of ten days to handle this, on another we have an administration saying "nothing to see here."  The truth is in the middle, right?  The way to calm people, at the end of the day, is transparency.  Unless, of course, the real truth is that we are all screwed and it's all going to fall apart; very smart virologists have been worried about "virus x" for a long time.  Is this virus "x"?  Well, I guess we are going to find out, right?

Anyway, holy hell I think this is the longest post I've made in about 12 years.  Panic?  No.  Concern, yes. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2020, 09:17:14 am »

Not sure why you are combining honesty with competence to manage a crisis.  Jimmy Carter was very honest but no much of a crisis manager.  Richard Nixon was dishonest but competent.  Trump is neither honest nor a competent and formulating a national response to a crisis. 

One of the biggest barriers with Trump is not his dishonesty, but his shallow ego and politicizing everything.  Trump’s response is often based on whether the states affected voted for him or not and whether he likes the governor.  If the domestic outbreak begins in California it will be up to the state to handle it and then Trump will blame Newsom when the disease spreads to other states.  If the first major outbreak is in Texas he will stand side by side with Abbot and blame illegal immigrants from China.

Turns out I was right, sorta.  It is actually worse.  Reports out now that Jared Kushner ran a secret testing and data collection program and determined that the epidemic was going to hurt blue states worse than red states. So it was decided that the federal government would do nothing and then blame democratic governors for mishandling the crisis and use it as a political item to show states led by republican governors are better than those led by democrats

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2020, 09:19:20 am »

Turns out I was right, sorta.  It is actually worse.  Reports out now that Jared Kushner ran a secret testing and data collection program and determined that the epidemic was going to hurt blue states worse than red states. So it was decided that the federal government would do nothing and then blame democratic governors for mishandling the crisis and use it as a political item to show states led by republican governors are better than those led by democrats

and then florida fucked that plan up for jared .. way to go desantis

But on a serious note .. if that entire thing isn't impeachable .. holy shit. It's even worse than incompetence, it's straight up murder.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray