Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:21:02 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 56690 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« on: March 13, 2020, 02:09:11 am »

I know we are all hearing about this all the time, and maybe this won't bring anything new to you.  But I wanted to discuss the importance of the steps we are taking.

I'm sure many of you have seen this image:

What that means, in a nutshell, is that we need to take as many measures as we can to delay the spread of this extremely contagious virus.  The longer we can delay the spread of the virus, the better our healthcare system will be able to cope with all the people that catch this disease.

There's a guy on Twitter who has been following social media in China to observe what people are reporting there.  China went through the same stages we are going through now: "nCoV is just like flu," "it's not that deadly," "it's blown out of proportion," etc.  And all that was wiped away as the virus continued to spread.

For the bleeding hearts in the audience, here's a thread he translated of a young woman who slowly documents both of her parents catching COVID-19 and dying.  Of course, that's an anecdote.  But if you think it can't happen here, you're in for a rude awakening.

Many of us have older loved ones who are very much at risk.  And it is possible to overreact.  But I doubt many people will be saying a year from now, "I don't know why we made such a big deal about this when only a couple thousand people ended up dying."

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 03:34:44 am »

However, what that chart also indicates is that we need to take steps that are long term sustainable.    Increased hand washing and more frequently cleanings are long-term sustainable.  Shutting schools and businesses are not.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 09:58:31 am »

Working from home and schooling from home I believe are sustainable at least for some. Dallas county has issued a state of emergency. I'll be working from home for the next few days at least, perhaps longer. Luckily I can perform all my duties from home. I know not everyone is so lucky, but I believe many can and should if they are able.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:00:59 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 10:46:52 am »

Working from home and schooling from home I believe are sustainable at least for some. Dallas county has issued a state of emergency. I'll be working from home for the next few days at least, perhaps longer. Luckily I can perform all my duties from home. I know not everyone is so lucky, but I believe many can and should if they are able.
Until they figure how to build roads and bridges from home I'm screwed. That and the fact they think one of my blood pressure meds increases the severity because it attaches to the very thing that helps blood pressure. Go figure.

I'm thinking down the road there might be specific warnings for high risk individuals but life will go back to normal fairly soon.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:29:41 am »

Until they figure how to build roads and bridges from home I'm screwed. That and the fact they think one of my blood pressure meds increases the severity because it attaches to the very thing that helps blood pressure. Go figure.

I'm thinking down the road there might be specific warnings for high risk individuals but life will go back to normal fairly soon.

which one ?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 01:33:00 pm »

However, what that chart also indicates is that we need to take steps that are long term sustainable.
To my knowledge, the only truly effective long-term solution is immunity, whether that comes from contracting the virus or from a vaccine.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 01:46:04 pm »

Remember when we all died from Ebola?  Oh yeah, right, this time it is different.  More people died today from a heart attack while having sex than have died in the US from COVID-19 since COVID-19 even became a thing.   People need to stop letting the media lead them into hysterical frenzy behavior like cleaning out toilet paper from grocery stores.  Buncha silly asses. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 01:59:35 pm »

To my knowledge, the only truly effective long-term solution is immunity, whether that comes from contracting the virus or from a vaccine.

True, but we can’t shut down our country and economy until we get a vaccine.  People are going to get sick and some of those people are going to die.  Most of the people who are going to die from this disease are folks who without this disease were going to die in the next year or so anyway.  It is hastening the death of those already close to death, it is just a normal illness for the healthy.  

And although the measures being taken are being called short term, my local library is closed until March 31 (with zero known cases within 50 miles) either they are going to reopen it when the situation is worse or it is going to be shut down for a year.

I get canceling large gatherings of people.  But lets not shut everything down.  

I thought the idea of having sporting events without fans but still televised made sense.  

Canceling St Patricks day parades make sense.  Closing libraries don’t.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 03:16:13 pm »

which one ?
I take Losartan HTZ.

"the virus binds to cells by latching onto a receptor.

These receptors, called angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), are found on the surface of upper respiratory cells.

Some with high blood pressure or diabetes have to take drugs that increase the amount of ACE2 they have on their cells, in order to control their illness.

Among the most commonly prescribed in the US are Accupril, Losartan, Lotensin, Valsartan and Vasotec, according to the US Food And Drug Administration. "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8109453/High-blood-pressure-diabetes-drugs-raise-risk-coronavirus-symptoms.html

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 03:51:06 pm »

People need to stop letting the media lead them into hysterical frenzy behavior like cleaning out toilet paper from grocery stores.
Stocking up on toilet paper won't reduce the spread of this virus.  However, shutting down major gatherings of people will.

Again, other countries have tried the "This isn't a big deal" approach.  There have been severe consequences for that attitude.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 04:00:05 pm »

This is just an odd situation .. unlike anything we've seen in my lifetime. Just like 911 ... taking all politics out of it I don't think we were ready for this regardless of how many movies have warned us. We weren't ready in the past and we aren't ready now. As a result a lot of what the country is doing is winging it.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 04:02:45 pm »

Trump is setting a poor example by shaking hands on TV with others while discussing not spreading the disease.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 05:27:30 pm »

Trump is setting a poor example by shaking hands on TV with others while discussing not spreading the disease.
TrUmP iS sEtTiNg A pOoR eXaMpLe
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 06:58:06 pm »

God damn it, they postponed the Black Label Society concert in Biloxi next Friday. I hope they reschedule it to a date that I can make it to. If not they need to approve refunds. Hopefully, I can get the Beau Rivage to cancel my reservations for next Friday. Those rooms ain't cheap. Between tickets and hotel I have $500 already spent upfront. We only got our first case of the virus yesterday.

Anyhow, I got to see Dokken/Lynch and the Great White/Slaughter shows in the past few weeks down in Biloxi. At least that's something I guess....

Oh yeah and dafuq is all the god damn toilet paper. WTF???
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:02:03 pm by pondwater » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 07:56:22 am »

True, but we can’t shut down our country and economy until we get a vaccine.
Sure we can.  Look at the kinds of drastic action the country took during WW2.
We have a wide range of options available to us.  The question is which actions are appropriate, and whether we are willing to take them.

People are going to get sick and some of those people are going to die.  Most of the people who are going to die from this disease are folks who without this disease were going to die in the next year or so anyway.
I don't know if people over the age of 60 (those most at risk from COVID-19) "were going to die over the next year anyway."  And frankly, that's a crazy way to approach this disease.  You're worried about libraries being closed, but assisted living homes are full of people who are practically dead anyway so whatever?  Are you so cavalier about your own elderly loved ones?

It's not like people are making these warnings out of pure paranoid fantasy; look to Italy's current scenario for what can happen with an insufficient response.  The point of closing schools and sporting events now is so that we aren't on a national lockdown later, having to close every establishment that's not a grocery store or a pharmacy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:17:54 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray