Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:43 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 56984 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2020, 11:54:10 am »

But what really pisses her off is that they could still do 95% of everything by not allowing customers to walk in and do everything over the phone.
There's the problem and what I was pissed off at as well only in my case it was 100%. There's absolutely no good reason for her to be there. I totally agree with her.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2020, 11:58:47 am »

And this helps how with several hours of recirculating air and infectious passengers on board?
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/01/how-coronavirus-spreads-on-a-plane/#close

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2020, 12:41:01 pm »

There's the problem and what I was pissed off at as well only in my case it was 100%. There's absolutely no good reason for her to be there. I totally agree with her.

There is no getting around her being there.  But if they locked the doors she would be exposed the the same two dozen coworkers every day, instead of a hundreds of different people every day. 

On another note, antidotal evidence suggest keeping kids out of school is NOT resulting in social distancing.  Yesterday the playgrounds were packed with bored children.  I pretty sure none of them were wiping down the monkey bars before using them.  While organized sports are banned, the fields were packed with pickup games.  Kids are visiting their friends houses.  Those parents who depended on the schools and after school programs are now shipping the kids to friends or GRANDPARENTS (the people that need to be socially distancing from germy kids)

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2020, 12:45:02 pm »

There is no getting around her being there.  But if they locked the doors she would be exposed the the same two dozen coworkers every day, instead of a hundreds of different people every day.  
Right, that's what I meant. Luckily for her the "office" is 2 dozen people. For me the "office" is thousands of people. I would be more exposed at my "office" then she is with the doors open.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:47:18 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2020, 01:24:30 pm »

On another note, antidotal evidence suggest keeping kids out of school is NOT resulting in social distancing.

Considering the pandemic subject matter, "antidotal" instead of "anecdotal" is either brilliant wordplay or the most apropos misspelling ever.

Either way...bravo, sir!   Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:23 pm »

Not going to sign up
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2020, 02:01:50 pm »

On another note, antidotal evidence suggest keeping kids out of school is NOT resulting in social distancing.  Yesterday the playgrounds were packed with bored children.  I pretty sure none of them were wiping down the monkey bars before using them.  While organized sports are banned, the fields were packed with pickup games.  Kids are visiting their friends houses.  Those parents who depended on the schools and after school programs are now shipping the kids to friends or GRANDPARENTS (the people that need to be socially distancing from germy kids)
Unless the playgrounds are full of EVERY child from school, I'd say closing the schools is helping to stop the spread.

I mean, you can't MAKE parents take this seriously.  When a few hundred thousand people have died, we'll see how packed the playgrounds and beaches are.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2020, 02:41:40 pm »

Not going to sign up
Here's another link to the same article.

https://besttraveltale.com/travel/heres-how-coronavirus-spreads-on-a-plane-and-the-safest-place-to-sit/

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2020, 02:44:42 pm »

Considering the pandemic subject matter, "antidotal" instead of "anecdotal" is either brilliant wordplay or the most apropos misspelling ever.

Either way...bravo, sir!   Grin

Wish I could take credit for the pun, but that was a misspelling.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2020, 03:08:34 pm »

When a few hundred thousand people have died, we'll see how packed the playgrounds and beaches are.

We will be at the end of the run and playgrounds will be safe again.  This will probably kill about  ~150 thousand before we have enough of the population with immunity to the slow the exponential spread and another ~100 thousand after the inflection point. Unless we get a vaccine first.  (very rough numbers, could be more)

I am not underestimating the seriousness of this disease. But I don’t think flattening the curve will do much unless you think that we can delay the spread long enough to get a vaccine.  I am resigned to the fact almost everyone is going to get it.  Those who survive will be immune and once there is nobody left for it to transmit to it will end.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2020, 03:12:38 pm »

Interesting read.  Doesn’t change my opinion that an office environment is less dangerous than a plane.  Nor my opinion that the problem has more to do with long distance travel spreading it far and wide than local contracts. 

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2020, 04:07:10 pm »

No question that flying "transports" the virus, but that's because the person infected is transported to a new location and infects others in the new location, the virus is not necessarily being spread during the trip. It could be, but it's not that common on aircraft. Seems more likely on cruise ships because their air filtration systems are more likely to spread the virus then in aircraft.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2020, 04:11:38 pm »

I am resigned to the fact almost everyone is going to get it.
Which explains a lot about your position in this thread. If you don't feel that way, that completely changes the discussion.

By the way that position seems to be pretty pessimistic as China said they had no new cases reported today so it appears in China the spread is slowing down and I'm pretty sure that not everyone in China has the virus. So it is possible to contain it. Hopefully the more proactive we are the less likely the US will have to enforce the same level of quarantine that China did.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:25:55 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2020, 04:22:56 pm »

We will be at the end of the run and playgrounds will be safe again.  This will probably kill about  ~150 thousand before we have enough of the population with immunity to the slow the exponential spread and another ~100 thousand after the inflection point. Unless we get a vaccine first.  (very rough numbers, could be more)
If we use a fairly optimistic 2% fatality rate, 150K deaths would be after 7.5 million infections (i.e. less than 3% of the US population).  So either you believe C-19 is going to become drastically less deadly in a hurry, or you believe 3% of the population is enough for widespread immunity.

If we use 50% of the population as the point of immunity, at a 2% fatality rate that's a cool 3 million deaths.  Feel free to substitute your own figures and try to get a result you consider acceptable.

Naturally acquired immunity absolutely will not be enough to stop this.  We need widespread, aggressive testing and mandatory quarantine of those infected.  Any other solution will likely result in millions of dead Americans.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2020, 04:25:03 pm »

By the way that position seems to be pretty pessimistic as China said they had no new cases reported today so it appears in China the spread is slowing down and I'm pretty sure that not everyone in China has the virus.
If Hoodie is objecting to the mild, mostly voluntary steps being taken in the US, I don't imagine he would be at all supportive of the steps China has been taking lately to stop the spread of the virus.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray