Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:28:33 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 57002 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2020, 08:10:58 am »

Orange County, FL has issued a 2 week stay at home curfew like many other areas and we are learning quite a bit.  For instance ... construction companies, landscapers, telemarketers, and dry cleaners are essential businesses. Who knew? I've been hitting drive-thrus for lunch and I've never seen it busier. I will say the lack of public restrooms at restaurants is causing issues for those  that work with their hands and need to wash them prior to eating.

Here is a list of jobs the county lists as an essential business:

Healthcare providers
Grocery store employees
Food cultivation
Any business to provide food, shelter, social services and necessities of life
Hotels and motels
Media
Gas stations
Auto-supply, auto-repair, towing companies
Banks and other financial institutions
Hardware stores
Licensed contractors
Businesses providing mailing and shipping services
Laundromats and dry cleaners
Restaurants to offer a pickup option or delivery
Schools providing free food services to students
Businesses that supply office products needed for anyone who works from home
Any business selling medical equipment and supply providers
Businesses shipping groceries or goods to residences
Airlines
Taxis
Bus employees
Home-based care for seniors adults or children
Assisted living facilities and nursing homes
Legal services
Landscape and pool care business
Childcare facilities
Businesses operating at an airport or government facility
Pet supply stores
Logistics providers
Telecommunications providers
Providers of propane or natural gas
Construction sites
Architectural, engineering and land surveying services
Factories and plants
Waste management services
Businesses interacting with customers solely through electronic or telephonic means
Businesses delivering products through mail

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2020, 09:02:00 am »

a few of them are hard to understand.

Necessary repairs are essential.  New construction is not.

People need to clean their clothes, so yes to laundry mats. But not dry cleaners.

All passenger air travel should cease.

With something like landscaping not essential but can be completed while social distancing.  Guy drives up, mows lawn, leaves.  No contact.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2020, 11:28:53 am »

One of the guys working on my project hasn't been here since last week. His wife was tested for the virus last night and now they are in lock down. She got better and then took a turn for the worse.

I also saw that China is having like a 14% of a re-occurrence in patients who were previously cleared. Crazy!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:30:30 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2020, 12:45:51 pm »

I also saw that China is having like a 14% of a re-occurrence in patients who were previously cleared. Crazy!
I thought that I read that once you recover from it you are immune going forward. Are you saying that you can be reinfected?

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2020, 12:55:49 pm »

I thought that I read that once you recover from it you are immune going forward. Are you saying that you can be reinfected?

the short answer is that no-one knows .. it could be reinfection, it could be that the recovery wasn't complete and it's the same infection reasserting itself .. it could be a mutation that your body didn't build immunity to.. there might actually be 2 different strains of covid-19 out there that don't share immuneties

soooo the answer is .. no-one knows for sure .. but yeah .. everyone should pile into a church on easter
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2020, 03:05:05 pm »

All passenger air travel should cease.
An excerpt from a recent SWA update from our COO as to why we are still flying planes.

I wanted to address a question I’ve been getting, that you may be asking: When is
enough enough? Why are we continuing to operate any flights at all?

Well, quite simply, the answer is that the country is counting on us. We are essential to
the country continuing to function. It may not feel that way with our planes flying very
empty, but with limitations on discretionary travel, we have to remember that means just
about every Customer onboard our planes right now has to travel…and we need to be
there for them. We still need to connect them to what’s important in their lives—more
than ever.

We are also carrying critical cargo like COVID-19 test kits, test samples, and healthcare
equipment essential for doctors and hospitals, as I shared in my update last week. Our
Cargo and Charters Team is also actively working on offering charters to shippers who
may have an interest in filling our planes with critical commodities (we have received
some interest in this option, but have not flown any to date). Our country, our
government, and our fellow citizens are counting on us.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:34:57 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2020, 03:36:17 pm »

An excerpt from a recent SWA update as to why we are still flying planes.

That is pure male bovine excrement.

SWA is NOT Fedex or UPS.  Its flights from NYC to Florida are no ferrying lifesaving supplies.  They are carrying vacationers that are spreading disease from one hotspot to the next hotspot. 

Your website is advertising a sale on “getaway”. There is absolutely no message advising that only the only travel should be that is absolutely necessary. 

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2020, 03:44:35 pm »

That is pure male bovine excrement.

SWA is NOT Fedex or UPS.  Its flights from NYC to Florida are no ferrying lifesaving supplies.  They are carrying vacationers that are spreading disease from one hotspot to the next hotspot.  

Your website is advertising a sale on “getaway”. There is absolutely no message advising that only the only travel should be that is absolutely necessary.  
You're welcome to your opinion as uninformed as it is. You have zero idea why people are flying. We are actually losing money with each flight. It would make sense from a business perspective (SWA's business that is) to shut it down, but it does not make sense from the perspective of other businesses which require the airlines to operate.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/business/domestic-air-travel-shutdown/index.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 04:55:27 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2020, 06:15:57 pm »

the short answer is that no-one knows .. it could be reinfection, it could be that the recovery wasn't complete and it's the same infection reasserting itself .. it could be a mutation that your body didn't build immunity to.. there might actually be 2 different strains of covid-19 out there that don't share immuneties

soooo the answer is .. no-one knows for sure .. but yeah .. everyone should pile into a church on easter
That is the truth. I heard a Dr discussing this the other day and the truth is with such little sampling we just don't know. Could be just people with exceptionally weak immune systems or it could be the norm. It will take time to figure it out.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2020, 11:10:47 pm »

Notwithstanding the fact that autocratic governments like China or Russia are likely not fully disclosing their infection statistics, today the US officially moved into the worldwide lead for number of C-19 infections.

I anticipate that this will get a lot worse before it starts to get better.  The question now is whether we are even willing to maintain our existing restrictions (as infections and deaths continue to spike), or whether people simply get tired of being safe and we put everyone back out in public to turbocharge this pandemic.

I expect that it will take the death of a non-elderly celebrity for people to consider this an actual threat to themselves.  So far, nearly all C-19 restrictions seem to be held in the context of protecting undefined "senior citizens" who already have one foot in the grave.  But let Ryan Seacrest die to this and suddenly people will be like "Oh I guess this IS more than just the sniffles if you are under 50."

I will say that I'm coming around to some part of Hoodie's position on this: from a purely selfish standpoint, you're definitely better off catching this today than you will be a month from now when all the hospitals are full and there are no respirators left.  (But I think Hoodie's position is more accurately that ideally all the hospitals should already be full right now, so not exactly the same thing.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:29:10 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2020, 07:41:11 am »

Given the relative level of testing in US and China, the US almost certainly has more unreported cases than China.  Russia either did a phenomenal job of taking early action in testing and isolation or they are under reporting. However, even with there is some suppression of the problem, there is no way they could hide a hotspot with the magnitude of NYC.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2020, 09:44:30 am »

Given the relative level of testing in US and China, the US almost certainly has more unreported cases than China.  Russia either did a phenomenal job of taking early action in testing and isolation or they are under reporting. However, even with there is some suppression of the problem, there is no way they could hide a hotspot with the magnitude of NYC.

We know the US isn't testing nearly enough. Locally here we are only testing 65 or older with certain symptoms int he drive-thru. Orange County, FL tried to test 250 people yesterday but didn't make it. They also turned away almost 180 people.  The virus is certainly much more rampant than is being reported. If most untested are surviving then  that's a great thing.

With that said I'm positive Russia and China are covering up their numbers.  Chernobyl gives you a glimpse at just how devious they can be in covering up their problems.

BTW ... the car wash around the corner is still open. Didn't realize clean cars were essential did you?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2020, 10:04:10 am »

We know the US isn't testing nearly enough. Locally here we are only testing 65 or older with certain symptoms int he drive-thru. Orange County, FL tried to test 250 people yesterday but didn't make it. They also turned away almost 180 people.  The virus is certainly much more rampant than is being reported. If most untested are surviving then  that's a great thing.

With that said I'm positive Russia and China are covering up their numbers.  Chernobyl gives you a glimpse at just how devious they can be in covering up their problems.

BTW ... the car wash around the corner is still open. Didn't realize clean cars were essential did you?

You can hide a few deaths.  But no way could Russia hide an outbreak like NYC or Northern Italy.  They were able to hide Chernobyl for only a few days.

As for the carwash.  Does it require violating social distancing? The one I use all I do is put money in the machine and drive forward.  As long as you are careful with the bill feeder no risk.  No idea if it is open.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2020, 10:24:17 am »

You can hide a few deaths.  But no way could Russia hide an outbreak like NYC or Northern Italy.  They were able to hide Chernobyl for only a few days.

As for the carwash.  Does it require violating social distancing? The one I use all I do is put money in the machine and drive forward.  As long as you are careful with the bill feeder no risk.  No idea if it is open.
It's one with people and not just a drive thru. I get that it's probably fine but it just seems odd in a lock down.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2020, 11:12:58 am »

it is odd in a lock down .. the machine car washes are ok i guess
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray