Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:33:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 57444 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2020, 06:27:26 pm »

We will be at the end of the run and playgrounds will be safe again.  This will probably kill about  ~150 thousand before we have enough of the population with immunity to the slow the exponential spread and another ~100 thousand after the inflection point. Unless we get a vaccine first.  (very rough numbers, could be more)

I am not underestimating the seriousness of this disease. But I don’t think flattening the curve will do much unless you think that we can delay the spread long enough to get a vaccine.  I am resigned to the fact almost everyone is going to get it.  Those who survive will be immune and once there is nobody left for it to transmit to it will end.

Agree.  Until we get to the point that over 50% of the population has been infected the number of infected will continue to rise.  Best case scenario is that it will take 12 months to get a vaccine, and maybe 18 months.  The question I have is what percentage of the severely infected that go on respirators are surviving?  If the survival rate with a respirator is still extremely low then are we just making ourselves feel better by stretching out the curve from months to years?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2020, 08:55:58 pm »

If you shorten the curve, then the hospitals are flooded and the fatality rate for everything - from car accidents to kidney failure to cancer - increases.

The idea that there is some benefit to killing more people quickly is a fantasy.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2020, 08:12:43 am »

I'm pretty sure that they know it's due to pangolin.

They said that seemed the most likely initially. Then it was bats. The latest report from the WHO sampling animal populations in the area is that they haven't found a strain that matches very closely in either group, so the question is still open. It's even possible according to the report that it jumped to humans first, circulated for a while before mutating to the current form. This was picked up and reported by the media ("corona virus might have circulated for years"), but in reality it is the more unlikely scenario since no such strain has been found humans.

The two previous corona-virus outbreaks (SARS and MERS) jumped from civets (cat-like wild animal) and camels, respectively. SARS didn't actually originate in the civets, though, but rather in a population of horseshoe bats, but the human infections uses the civets as an intermediary.

SARS (technically SARS-CoV-1) is very closely related to the new coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2020, 03:59:05 pm »

If you shorten the curve, then the hospitals are flooded and the fatality rate for everything - from car accidents to kidney failure to cancer - increases.

The idea that there is some benefit to killing more people quickly is a fantasy.

Maybe.  If the hospitals are overloaded for one month than for one month car accident victims can’t get care.  If hospitals are overloaded for three months than for three months car accident victims can’t get care. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2020, 04:46:50 pm »

"Overloaded" is not a binary yes/no status.
The degree of overload matters.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2020, 05:50:25 pm »

"Overloaded" is not a binary yes/no status.
The degree of overload matters.

True, but so does length.  Let’s assume automobile accidents require 10 ICU beds per week.

And that if we don’t flatten the curve for one week the ICU will be overloaded by a factor of 10 meaning that they can only treat 1 out of 10 patients. OTOH of we flatten the curve for 5 weeks the ICU will be double capacity. 

That would mean that with the spike there would be one week in which 9 of the accident victims could not get an ICU bed, but with the flatten model there would be 5 weeks in which each week 5 victims could not be treated for a total of 25. 

I am not heartless, I am not trying to sacrifice people for the economy.  But 9 deaths is better than 25. And that is my concern with extending the curve.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2020, 06:22:18 pm »

You fail to account for the increase in medical staff who gets sick due to increased exposure and lack of sufficient PPE (which is already a problem even with existing measures).   You are also failing to account for all the people whose lives will be saved by extending the curve.  And the longer we extend the curve, the more time we have to hire additional medical staff, manufacture more ventilators, and build more emergency hospitals (like at the Javits Center).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:25:33 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2020, 11:59:08 pm »

dolphins4life, I split the Facebook post you pasted into a different thread.

Please try to keep this thread free of partisan political discussion.  I'm sure you all know I am more than willing to engage in such discussion, but I started this thread as a way to discuss this crisis outside of the left/right divide, and so far we've gone 9 pages with very little of it.

The actions we take every day during this crisis are critically important, and I don't want that discussion to be obscured by everyday political sniping.  Thanks.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2020, 01:43:25 am »

The actions we take everyday are important, which leaves me with a crisis that I posted in another thread.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2020, 12:47:48 pm »

This is interesting. Seems pretty feasible to me. Just FYI, SWA removes the entire cabin seats from an aircraft quite often to do maintenance which sometimes requires pulling up the floor boards underneath the seats. It really is as easy as they made it sound in the article. Also the hangars where we do the maintenance have air conditioning ducts that attach to the aircraft when they are doing heavy maintenance work like this. I can see this working and perhaps even be a source of revenue for the airlines. Not sure exactly how all that would work, but I would think it at least makes sense to look into it's feasibility.

https://medium.com/@aliarab.2020/turning-airlines-into-lifelines-709d659e6342

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2020, 03:59:48 pm »

More information about the Airline industry and the proposed government relief.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/03/31/coronavirus-stimulus-package-us-airlines-must-continue-flying/5093641002/

https://apnews.com/5286bcd6b87db2865a64639a18811a4e

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2020, 10:00:10 pm »

Work has been so stressful

I forgot to use a face shield while doing a throat swab on a patient, and spent the rest of the day worrying.  My coworkers said the patient didn't cough, so I shouldn't worry.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2020, 10:41:08 am »

I think that COVID-19 is the Lord's wrath on a world that has turned their back on Him.   I'm actually an atheist.  I just thought I'd throw that out there to see if I could start a good argument. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2020, 11:02:59 am »

I think that COVID-19 is the Lord's wrath on a world that has turned their back on Him.   I'm actually an atheist.  I just thought I'd throw that out there to see if I could start a good argument. 
None of the arguments here are any good lol.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2020, 01:54:36 pm »

I'm Catholic, but I don't really believe in all that wrath of God stuff either...and I don't really want to get into a discussion what I believe from a religious standpoint here. But on the other hand I do believe there is something about nature finding a way when things get out of balance to bring them back into balance. Viruses and the like are a great illustration of that in my opinion. Sometimes things are necessary in the short term for the long term well being of the race.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray