Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:35:57 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 56997 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2020, 02:43:51 am »

California's Gov. Newsom just announced that CA has inked a deal for 200 million masks per month (150M N95, 50M surgical) with the ability to potentially distribute them to other states in need.

https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/status/1247698364063518720

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2020, 10:44:31 am »

So I see a lot of comments on the internet bashing the US and how other countries are handling this better.  When the populations are closer in number it shows a different story.  I would like to know people's opinions on this here.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1249182592659849217?s=19

Ryan Saavedra
@RealSaavedra
U.S. population: 328,000,000

France/Germany/Italy/U.K./Spain population: 324,000,000

Coronavirus cases:

-U.S.: 526,396
-F/G/I/UK/S: 650,807

Coronavirus deaths:

-U.S.: 20,463
-F/G/I/UK/S: 62,553

Source: Johns Hopkins University & Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:55:01 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2020, 03:51:07 pm »

You're talking about 5 countries with 5 entirely different governments.  There is no single entity with the power to, say, issue a shelter-in-place order across all 5 countries.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2020, 03:59:15 pm »

You're talking about 5 countries with 5 entirely different governments.  There is no single entity with the power to, say, issue a shelter-in-place order across all 5 countries.
European Union?  Other than the UK.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 04:01:29 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2020, 04:18:22 pm »

The EU cannot unilaterally issue those kinds of orders like our federal government can.  The EU also doesn't have an equivalent of FEMA, or the Army Corps of Engineers.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2020, 04:22:12 pm »

^^^^

And every single one of those countries has a smaller land mass and smaller population than some U.S. States.

On an entirely separate note, I'm going to call this the CCP Virus.  CCP = Chinese Communist Party.   They knew about this as far back as early December, but sat on the information for six weeks.   They also imprisoned and/or executed the whistle-blowers who tried to get the information out to the world media.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2020, 04:48:07 pm »

Please take the virus-naming talk to another thread.  Thanks.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2020, 05:20:09 pm »

So I see a lot of comments on the internet bashing the US and how other countries are handling this better.  When the populations are closer in number it shows a different story.  I would like to know people's opinions on this here.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1249182592659849217?s=19

Ryan Saavedra
@RealSaavedra
U.S. population: 328,000,000

France/Germany/Italy/U.K./Spain population: 324,000,000

Coronavirus cases:

-U.S.: 526,396
-F/G/I/UK/S: 650,807

Coronavirus deaths:

-U.S.: 20,463
-F/G/I/UK/S: 62,553

Source: Johns Hopkins University & Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center

Media is doing everything they can to frighten people.  They are a part of the system to make Trump look bad and will say anything. I almost laughed out loud when we "surpassed" Italy. A country barely larger than Florida. Once we surpass the numbers of H1N1 under Obama then maybe I'll give some time in listening to media. As it is ... I still remember when Trump was constantly being attacked for doing things too early.

Like I said before ... It won't be time to judge Trump, Cuomo, Desantis, or whomever until this thing is done and then it needs to only be done in the eye of looking to never repeat. In 2004 we had three hurricanes pass over Central Florida and we failed miserably in a lot of ways. The good thing is we learned so much that similar conditions almost go unnoticed because of the upgrades to policy, procedures, and equipment. I fully expect the same to happen after this.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2020, 06:59:43 pm »

Media is doing everything they can to frighten people.  They are a part of the system to make Trump look bad and will say anything. I almost laughed out loud when we "surpassed" Italy. A country barely larger than Florida. Once we surpass the numbers of H1N1 under Obama then maybe I'll give some time in listening to media. As it is ... I still remember when Trump was constantly being attacked for doing things too early.

Like I said before ... It won't be time to judge Trump, Cuomo, Desantis, or whomever until this thing is done and then it needs to only be done in the eye of looking to never repeat. In 2004 we had three hurricanes pass over Central Florida and we failed miserably in a lot of ways. The good thing is we learned so much that similar conditions almost go unnoticed because of the upgrades to policy, procedures, and equipment. I fully expect the same to happen after this.

Hopefully, we'll have some better antibiotics the next time a novel virus shows it's germy little face.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2020, 07:18:43 pm »

Hopefully, we'll have some better antibiotics the next time a novel virus shows it's germy little face.

That is impossible.  A scientific impossibility. 

Antibiotics fight diseases caused by bacteria, not viruses.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2020, 08:35:25 pm »

That is impossible.  A scientific impossibility.  

And what's worse ... it appears this virus can reinfect those that have antibodies. If I understand this correctly I would think this means vaccines will be useless.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:40:04 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2020, 09:01:28 pm »

Once we surpass the numbers of H1N1 under Obama then maybe I'll give some time in listening to media.
From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, there were 12,469 deaths in the US from H1N1.
From February 29, 2020 to today (less than 7 weeks), there have been 23,330 deaths in the US from CV-19.
Keep in mind that the former number is entirely in hindsight months later, after plenty of time to research and categorize all the deaths.  There are thousands of people dying at home in NY who are not currently categorized as CV-19 deaths, but may be later.

Sad to see people still trying to downplay and softsell this virus.  It is not H1N1, it is not the flu.  It is far more deadly than either.

Here's another disappointing example:

Coronavirus: Pastor who decried 'hysteria' dies after attending Mardi Gras

Key quotes:

- Pastor Spradlin's son, Landon Isaac, 32, told me that he and his father had talked and agreed about what they felt was an irrational frenzy and fear mongering about the virus, perhaps because it was an election year.

- "I was frustrated with the way that the media was very agenda driven - and it's on both sides. I feel like the coronavirus issue turned into something that was 'party against party' instead of one nation under God," [Spradlin's daughter] says.

The fear was entirely rational.  At the end of the day, when the body count is tallied, it won't matter which party said what; all that will matter is which officials took this crisis seriously and acted with urgency, and which ones tried to deemphasize the risk and minimize their action.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:40:17 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2020, 02:17:07 am »

I need some clarification on something I literally don't understand.  I'm not politically trolling -- I legitimately don't get it.

Our Governor, Ron Desantis, has been floating the idea of getting kids back to school.  ....like, as early as May 1st, in some reports.  Now, that's not happening, so I'm not worried about it, but my question is WHY?

I don't understand the value that it brings you, even if it were to be harmless.  I get wanting to start the economy back up and get people back working and all that -- but kids aren't working.  They don't help the economy.  And the teachers are working remotely and getting paid and the kids are still receiving some level of education.

So, I would at least understand wanting to open non-essential businesses again at a rate that could risk infection....like restaurants and bars, but why schools?  That doesn't stimulate the economy at all.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2020, 02:24:04 am »

I need some clarification on something I literally don't understand.  I'm not politically trolling -- I legitimately don't get it.

Our Governor, Ron Desantis, has been floating the idea of getting kids back to school.  ....like, as early as May 1st, in some reports.  Now, that's not happening, so I'm not worried about it, but my question is WHY?

I don't understand the value that it brings you, even if it were to be harmless.  I get wanting to start the economy back up and get people back working and all that -- but kids aren't working.  They don't help the economy.  And the teachers are working remotely and getting paid and the kids are still receiving some level of education.

So, I would at least understand wanting to open non-essential businesses again at a rate that could risk infection....like restaurants and bars, but why schools?  That doesn't stimulate the economy at all.
because it's a stepping stone to opening up everything else...?
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2020, 03:57:55 am »

That is impossible.  A scientific impossibility. 

Really? I'm pretty sure 45 knows better than some random dude on a website.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray