Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:44:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 57012 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2020, 11:25:28 am »

We were supposed to be in New Orleans this week, but with most things there still shut down because of COVID, we cancelled.  So instead of being in New Orleans, we are home this week.  Monday I went to go work out as the gyms here in Texas were finally allowed to open on Monday.  On the way, a truck ran a red light and T-Boned me in the intersection.  Totaled my car.  I had to be transported to the hospital by Fire Rescue.  Thankfully, other than a sore neck and some cuts, swelling, etc., I'm fine.   I jokingly said to the emergency room doctor that COVID was at least partially responsible for my being in the hospital since COVID is the reason I wasn't in New Orleans.  Not trying to make light of the lives lost from COVID or anything by telling that story or anything like that.   
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #211 on: May 20, 2020, 11:36:16 am »

We were supposed to be in New Orleans this week, but with most things there still shut down because of COVID, we cancelled.  So instead of being in New Orleans, we are home this week.  Monday I went to go work out as the gyms here in Texas were finally allowed to open on Monday.  On the way, a truck ran a red light and T-Boned me in the intersection.  Totaled my car.  I had to be transported to the hospital by Fire Rescue.  Thankfully, other than a sore neck and some cuts, swelling, etc., I'm fine.   I jokingly said to the emergency room doctor that COVID was at least partially responsible for my being in the hospital since COVID is the reason I wasn't in New Orleans.  Not trying to make light of the lives lost from COVID or anything by telling that story or anything like that.   
Glad you're okay, I got T-Boned once it sucks.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2020, 11:53:24 am »

the easiest and best way to get a rough count of total COVID-19 deaths is to do it statistically ..

look at the average daily deaths for his time period per capita and compare it to that number for a non COVID year and the difference are the deaths attributable directly (cause of being sick) or indirectly (because being sick made you lose your job that made you lose your health insurance that made you not get that operation you needed)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2020, 12:50:01 pm »

the easiest and best way to get a rough count of total COVID-19 deaths is to do it statistically ..

look at the average daily deaths for his time period per capita and compare it to that number for a non COVID year and the difference are the deaths attributable directly (cause of being sick) or indirectly (because being sick made you lose your job that made you lose your health insurance that made you not get that operation you needed)

Agreed.  Based on those numbers Covid is being under reported.

And there is political pressure in both directions regarding the numbers with some attempting to inflate the numbers and other minimize them. 

But even if the numbers in the USA are over reported by 20% and every other country in the world is under reporting by 20%.  The USA still has the highest death toll and number of infected. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2020, 02:01:28 pm »

That's a really bad way. First of all, average deaths fluctuates write a lot year to year. Secondly, the method assumes that "all else is equal", but it isn't. As a society, we are behaving VERY differently from a normal year and to assume this has only a marginal effect on death rates is naive at best.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2020, 02:56:57 pm »

That's a really bad way. First of all, average deaths fluctuates write a lot year to year. Secondly, the method assumes that "all else is equal", but it isn't. As a society, we are behaving VERY differently from a normal year and to assume this has only a marginal effect on death rates is naive at best.

True there are flaws to this method.  Some are offsetting.  Less drunk drivers but more speeding.  But does give a rough estimate.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2020, 03:05:30 pm »

why are we behaving very differently ? .. behavior changes due to covid may not result in covid deaths but for sure would account for covid deaths in the 2nd degree.  .. All things equal, it'll give you a ballpark estimate .. and really .. why do you need something more accurate than that ? At this point you should be concerned with overall impact  on society from covid .. when talking about generalities .. and not specific cases.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2020, 03:40:19 pm »

why are we behaving very differently ? .. behavior changes due to covid may not result in covid deaths but for sure would account for covid deaths in the 2nd degree.  .. All things equal, it'll give you a ballpark estimate .. and really .. why do you need something more accurate than that ? At this point you should be concerned with overall impact  on society from covid .. when talking about generalities .. and not specific cases.

In one way it is relevant.  If there is a spike in non-covid deaths that is attributable to the shut down not the disease nor the disease impact on hospitals.  E.g suicides because of job loss than those deaths should be tallied as reasons to end the shut down as the shutdown is deadly too.  I doubt there is anyway the shutdown is killing more than it is saving, but that is why it is relevant how someone died.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2020, 03:46:41 pm »

Thankfully, other than a sore neck and some cuts, swelling, etc., I'm fine. 

Glad to hear that you're OK... People are driving like crazy out there lately, and I am including myself in that assessment. I'm not running reds and injuring perfectly good Dolphins fans, but my speeding has gotten a wee bit excessive.   Evil

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2020, 05:32:53 pm »

Glad you're ok Dolphster!

Honestly I am about over the whole thing. Larry the Cable guy asked a great question. If masks work why did we let criminals out of jail instead of giving them masks? The whole thing is stupid. We have so many conflicting issues.

The same people who say to save illegals because they are just trying to save their family are locking up or fining barbers for "trying to save their family". People have been arrested for not wearing masks by people not wearing masks. I can't stand within 6' of you but I have to be 50' away if you and I are in separate boats. I can have 10 total strangers on my boat and so can you.

For me my life really hasn't changed and I know that's a huge part of the cynicism. We are still working and mingling everyday with no masks. Stopped into a 7-11 on the way home with about 12 people all walking about without masks. The CDC just announced that the virus “does not spread easily” from "touching surfaces or objects". We are also finding out more each day that most of us are safe from dying even if we get it.  I swear if we keep going this way one day soon we will be thinking this whole thing was orchestrated by Orson Welles.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:35:00 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2020, 05:34:29 pm »

In one way it is relevant.  If there is a spike in non-covid deaths that is attributable to the shut down not the disease nor the disease impact on hospitals.  E.g suicides because of job loss than those deaths should be tallied as reasons to end the shut down as the shutdown is deadly too.  I doubt there is anyway the shutdown is killing more than it is saving, but that is why it is relevant how someone died.

There are plenty of deaths to blame on Dictator Cuomo and the Media Frenzy, not on Covid.  Cuomo sent Covid positive people back to nursing homes for god's sake.  He stole ventilators from upstate hospitals for NYC, which were never used.  He has prevented many needed surgeries which has caused life threating issues, and deaths, for many NYS residents.  The media, and many people, can't see past their hatred for Trump to realize there is a point where continuing the shut down has unintended consequences that lead to death.  If the shutdown ends and you don't believe it should, well there is nothing to say you can't continue to isolate yourself.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2020, 08:49:47 pm »

There are plenty of deaths to blame on Dictator Cuomo and the Media Frenzy, not on Covid.  Cuomo sent Covid positive people back to nursing homes for god's sake.  He stole ventilators from upstate hospitals for NYC, which were never used.  He has prevented many needed surgeries which has caused life threating issues, and deaths, for many NYS residents.  The media, and many people, can't see past their hatred for Trump to realize there is a point where continuing the shut down has unintended consequences that lead to death.  If the shutdown ends and you don't believe it should, well there is nothing to say you can't continue to isolate yourself.

I didn’t support the shutdown.  It is a blunt and ineffective way to manage the situation.  The proper way to manage the situation through extensive testing and contact tracing.  Extensive testing and isolation of those who test positive is more effective than very limited testing and social distancing with much less disruption.  But it requires significant testing early on before there is a widespread outbreak.  Unfortunately the US squandered that opportunity.  But reopening early is the worst of all options as we won’t reverse the economic harm of the shutdown but will reverse the limited effect of flattening the curve.   

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2020, 03:20:53 am »

If masks work why did we let criminals out of jail instead of giving them masks?
If washing your hands works, why did we let criminals out of jail instead of giving them hand soap?
If seat belts work, how are people still dying in car accidents?

Come on, man.  That is an absurdly reductive question.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2020, 03:28:07 am »

If the shutdown ends and you don't believe it should, well there is nothing to say you can't continue to isolate yourself.
If the shutdown ends and you work in an affected sector, you went from "receiving unemployment to stay home and avoid getting sick" to "choosing between being able to pay the rent and exposing yourself to CV-19."  That is a huge factor in whether people can continue to isolate themselves.

Most of the protestors you see waving guns around to try to intimidate lawmakers into reopening are people who were still receiving paychecks and viewed this shutdown as an annoyance that prevented them from getting their hair done or going to the golf course.  They weren't the people who were actually at risk (e.g. nail salon employees).

It's like how anyone you see objecting to wearing a mask is a tell: this person has not yet had anyone close to them get seriously sick.  If your aunt died to CV-19, you're probably not going to complain about having to wear a mask to enter Target.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:32:28 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #224 on: May 21, 2020, 08:46:19 am »

If washing your hands works, why did we let criminals out of jail instead of giving them hand soap?
If seat belts work, how are people still dying in car accidents?

Come on, man.  That is an absurdly reductive question.
LOL... if you had a point in there I don't get it. Seat belts have never been about protecting you in all situations. Sometimes, though rare, they actually hinder people in an accident. Many doctors have said a healthy person wearing a mask is hurting them in the long run.

Are you really saying it makes sense to you to arrest people for going to the gym while letting sexual predators out of jail? hahaha ... I guess for you it makes sense to let them out so we have plenty of room for all these Karens and Chads.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:05:19 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray