Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:33 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 57001 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2020, 01:58:13 pm »

Except all of them had been released once before and were back in jail on parole violations.  If you are are arguing that statutory rape ought be a life sentence then that is a different issue or for that matter if you feel a parole violation should be a life sentence.  But these folks were in jail for parole violations.

You've now explained it to him twice...bet you a dollar he still comes back arguing about sex offenders.

Cue CF's diversionary commentary in 3...2...1...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #241 on: May 21, 2020, 02:02:17 pm »

You've now explained it to him twice...bet you a dollar he still comes back arguing about sex offenders.

Cue CF's diversionary commentary in 3...2...1...

Anything to divert attention from the fact that had we tested aggressively early on most of this could have avoided but a serious lack of leadership in the whitehouse prevented that.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2020, 02:35:03 pm »

I'm not diverting anything. Honestly I couldn't give a rats ass to what you believe and in fact would be in shock if you ever changed your mind about anything.  All I know is what you're saying is not in the article. Show me where it says what you say otherwise it seems like you are CNN making up facts to fit your narrative.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2020, 02:43:39 pm »

I'm not diverting anything. Honestly I couldn't give a rats ass to what you believe and in fact would be in shock if you ever changed your mind about anything.  All I know is what you're saying is not in the article. Show me where it says what you say otherwise it seems like you are CNN making up facts to fit your narrative.

If you click on the link in the story to the original source it is in there.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2020, 02:55:35 pm »

If you click on the link in the story to the original source it is in there.
Still not seeing it.  The article seems to be written based off the official memo from the Sheriff's Dept which doesn't give any more information. New York wasn't the only place to do it anyway.

Here is another from California.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/us/sex-offenders-released-early-california/index.html

In an unusual public statement last week, Todd Spitzer, Orange County District Attorney, issued a warning to the community about seven "high risk" sex offenders released from jail before serving their full sentences, and blasted a local county commissioner who approved the release orders.
While the DA's public warning to the community did not indicate the reason for the release of the seven named sex offenders, a spokesperson for Spitzer told CNN their understanding from the court is that commissioner Joseph Dane authorized the early releases over concerns crowded jails could serve as incubators for the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #245 on: May 21, 2020, 03:58:38 pm »

^^^ um...did you just point someone to a CNN link mere minutes after using CNN as your representation of fake news?

You, sir, have an interesting way of applying logic...or dissolving it in a pool of Faux News' Goofy Juice, anyway...

Evil

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #246 on: May 21, 2020, 05:03:55 pm »

LOL ... I chose the link that most resembled my audience. Had I used FOX then it would have most certainly been disregarded by the narrow minded.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #247 on: May 21, 2020, 09:58:34 pm »

If the shutdown ends and you work in an affected sector, you went from "receiving unemployment to stay home and avoid getting sick" to "choosing between being able to pay the rent and exposing yourself to CV-19."  That is a huge factor in whether people can continue to isolate themselves.

Most of the protestors you see waving guns around to try to intimidate lawmakers into reopening are people who were still receiving paychecks and viewed this shutdown as an annoyance that prevented them from getting their hair done or going to the golf course.  They weren't the people who were actually at risk (e.g. nail salon employees).

It's like how anyone you see objecting to wearing a mask is a tell: this person has not yet had anyone close to them get seriously sick.  If your aunt died to CV-19, you're probably not going to complain about having to wear a mask to enter Target.

Just a few points:

1) Exceptions could be made for people NOT returning to work if they are in a high risk category, or care from someone that is.
2) Since this shutdown has started we have had probably the lowest wage earners (cashiers at grocery stores, Walmart, Lowes, etc.) who deal with dozens if not hundreds of people everyday, yet I have yet to hear of a major outbreak tied to a grocery store.  So people that work in offices and only interact with many fewer people can certainly go back to work while wearing their mask, and having their hand sanitizer at the ready if they feel they need it.
3) I don't support anyone waving guns around trying to intimidate people, but I found it utterly stupid that people can't go golfing (where they aren't even close to others) , yet it's okay for people who are standing on top of each other in lines at stores.  Similarly it's easy to disinfected a work area at a hair salon between customers, and is much less risky that going to the convenience store to get gas.
4) Sorry but I don't believe wearing a cloth mask is going to keep me from getting The Corona if the person in line in front of me has it, it just gives people a false sense of security.  I'll wear a mask in crowded stores because it makes other people feel better, but I know it's just a placebo.  If you think I'm wrong why have doctors or nurses caught The Corona from patients when they wear 10x more protective gear?
5) Most importantly the government, or rather myself as a taxpayer, can't afford to continue to pay unemployment to millions of people for the next two years waiting for a vaccine to come that may not even be 50% effective.  Not to mention it's a shrinking tax base because many businesses that are shutdown are soon going to be permanently out of business.
6) If we continue down the path we are on for two years then the people with guns will be using them, instead of threatening to use them.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2020, 04:30:54 am »

Masterfin

1. But they aren’t.

2. Then you have not been paying attention because there have been many.

3. Difference between golf and grocery stores is if we shut down all the grocery stores people would starve.  Golf is a luxury.

4. You wearing a mask does very little to prevent you from getting the disease.  It however, is very effective at preventing you from giving it to someone else.  So the if the person behind you has covid your mask is largely irrelevant, but their mask reduces the chance of getting infected greatly. 

5.  Yes we can.  The “war” on covid-19 is less expensive than the war on Iraqi was. Money wasn’t an object then.  The money exists, the question is the priorities.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2020, 08:15:30 am »

Masterfin

1. But they aren’t.

2. Then you have not been paying attention because there have been many.

3. Difference between golf and grocery stores is if we shut down all the grocery stores people would starve.  Golf is a luxury.

4. You wearing a mask does very little to prevent you from getting the disease.  It however, is very effective at preventing you from giving it to someone else.  So the if the person behind you has covid your mask is largely irrelevant, but their mask reduces the chance of getting infected greatly. 

5.  Yes we can.  The “war” on covid-19 is less expensive than the war on Iraqi was. Money wasn’t an object then.  The money exists, the question is the priorities.
Don't bother. Anyone this uninformed isn't interested in being informed.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2020, 02:53:40 pm »

Hoodie captured the exact response I was going to give to masterfins.  So I'll expand just a bit on the "we can't afford it" bit:

No politician in the history of this country has ever said, "This war is the moral and just course of action to take, but we don't have enough money so we're not going to do it."  It is simply not even considered a factor.  Nobody said, "I think it's a good idea to invade Afghanistan to get Bin Laden, but the deficit is too high so I'm voting against it."

If we cannot spend money to keep our own people from starving and/or being thrown out on the street during a global health crisis, why do we even print our own money?  The idea that "we don't have enough money to pay people to stay home" is a choice, and I'm willing to bet that virtually none of the people who say we can't afford to pay people to stay home were saying that we can't afford to cut taxes 3 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:55:30 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2020, 03:17:54 pm »

Hoodie captured the exact response I was going to give to masterfins.  So I'll expand just a bit on the "we can't afford it" bit:

No politician in the history of this country has ever said, "This war is the moral and just course of action to take, but we don't have enough money so we're not going to do it."  It is simply not even considered a factor.  Nobody said, "I think it's a good idea to invade Afghanistan to get Bin Laden, but the deficit is too high so I'm voting against it."

If we cannot spend money to keep our own people from starving and/or being thrown out on the street during a global health crisis, why do we even print our own money?  The idea that "we don't have enough money to pay people to stay home" is a choice, and I'm willing to bet that virtually none of the people who say we can't afford to pay people to stay home were saying that we can't afford to cut taxes 3 years ago.

We could give ever person in the country 2k monthly over the next year to help with bills and we'd be totally fine. The problem is that then the poor people wouldn't be so willing to go work for starvation wages and the billionaire class can't be having that .. so they tell their employees (congress) to not do that.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2020, 05:16:17 pm »

Not that this has been on every news station in the country but I finally got in to get my hair cut and my girl was stressed out. They have been open the last two weeks and she can't get anyone else to come in as they are making more on unemployment. She's been working alone when normally they keep 3 and sometimes more on hand.

One of the negatives to this covid thing is we see how easy it is for people to not work as long as they can get benefits. This only reinforces the Republican idea for me that its better to help get people to work than it is to help them get by without having to work.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #253 on: May 22, 2020, 05:58:12 pm »

Not that this has been on every news station in the country but I finally got in to get my hair cut and my girl was stressed out. They have been open the last two weeks and she can't get anyone else to come in as they are making more on unemployment. She's been working alone when normally they keep 3 and sometimes more on hand.

One of the negatives to this covid thing is we see how easy it is for people to not work as long as they can get benefits. This only reinforces the Republican idea for me that its better to help get people to work than it is to help them get by without having to work.

That is an extreme over-simplification and extrapolation.

Because a person would choose to avoid close contact with others (and you are going to be in extremely close contact to cut someone’s hair) during. a pandemic AND schools are shut down so they have no childcare does not translate to a safety net for society encourages laziness.

The job of cutting someone’s hair in May of 2020 is a vastly more dangerous job than it was in November of 2019.  True, some of these people would risk death if not doing so meant starvation and homelessness.

Your conclusion fails to take into account both the risk the job now entails and the lack of childcare.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2020, 06:29:50 pm »

That's exactly why the Republican idea is so insidious. "see those people over there? .. they're getting something you aren't, they're your real enemy .. not the people in charge of the entire system"  It's sad that $600 a week in unemployment is more attractive than working a full time job .. maybe that job should offer higher wages so that the absolute basic minimum the government is offering (which is barely above poverty) isn't more attractive
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray