Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:51:59 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 57008 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2020, 06:40:31 pm »

Not that this has been on every news station in the country but I finally got in to get my hair cut and my girl was stressed out. They have been open the last two weeks and she can't get anyone else to come in as they are making more on unemployment. She's been working alone when normally they keep 3 and sometimes more on hand.
Good!  They are staying home and not catching COVID-19!  Ideally, your barber should be staying home too.

One of the negatives to this covid thing is we see how easy it is for people to not work as long as they can get benefits. This only reinforces the Republican idea for me that its better to help get people to work than it is to help them get by without having to work.
This also reinforces the Republican idea of "We don't care how dangerous it is, we just want you out there working so we can make more money off you, and your sickness isn't our problem."
Unless the GOP has unveiled a plan for universal healthcare while I wasn't looking?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:42:55 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2020, 07:28:24 pm »

I am calling BULLSHIT on CF’s entire story.

If you are laid off, and your employer offers you your job back and you decline it, you lose your benefits.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2020, 08:35:49 pm »

Based on the reporting I've seen, getting unemployment in FL is nearly impossible anyway (by design, thanks to Rick Scott).
But I'm sure there are many FL residents on this board who can speak to this with more authority than I can.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #258 on: May 24, 2020, 12:46:12 pm »

The website is incredibly difficult to maneuver by design at regular times and has been crashing during the pandemic. I had an employer a few years ago that signed up for a program that supplemented my paycheck during a slowdown that kept me from being laid off.

Also,  CF is correct. It has been reported in several sources in Orlando that some employers have been told by former employees that they are making more on unemployment right now than their service industry jobs. The website doesn't know they were contacted about their former job. If I recall this is self reported information and all someone has to do is report applying for jobs they don't get.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #259 on: May 24, 2020, 12:49:45 pm »

That's exactly why the Republican idea is so insidious. "see those people over there? .. they're getting something you aren't, they're your real enemy .. not the people in charge of the entire system"  It's sad that $600 a week in unemployment is more attractive than working a full time job .. maybe that job should offer higher wages so that the absolute basic minimum the government is offering (which is barely above poverty) isn't more attractive

By some reports I have seen people are getting up to $800 per week. There are a lot of jobs that don't pay that in Orlando and across the country.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #260 on: May 24, 2020, 01:10:32 pm »

The website is incredibly difficult to maneuver by design at regular times and has been crashing during the pandemic. I had an employer a few years ago that signed up for a program that supplemented my paycheck during a slowdown that kept me from being laid off.

Also,  CF is correct. It has been reported in several sources in Orlando that some employers have been told by former employees that they are making more on unemployment right now than their service industry jobs. The website doesn't know they were contacted about their former job. If I recall this is self reported information and all someone has to do is report applying for jobs they don't get.

In Mass and CT the employer tells the state they offered the employee to comeback and the employee declined and benefits end.  I can’t believe FL doesn’t have a system for employers to report the same. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #261 on: May 24, 2020, 11:00:53 pm »

Even in pinko commie CA, your employer has to verify that you are eligible for unemployment benefits.  I find it extremely difficult to believe that this is not the case in FL.

It has been reported in several sources in Orlando that some employers have been told by former employees that they are making more on unemployment right now than their service industry jobs.
I still don't understand why this is a "problem."  We should want as many people staying home and not working as possible, so if you have been laid off (because you have been determined not to work in an "essential business"), incentivizing you to stay home is a good thing.  (And obviously, we should be taking care of the businesses as well, to make sure they don't go under.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:05:27 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2020, 01:38:58 pm »

In Mass and CT the employer tells the state they offered the employee to comeback and the employee declined and benefits end.  I can’t believe FL doesn’t have a system for employers to report the same.  
That's how it normally works but under the pandemic a lot of the rules were relaxed. For instance ... normally you have to prove you are actively looking for work but that requirement was suspended as well.

You people that think you should still be staying home should stay home. It's not fair in any universe for others to be punished because you are scared.  The latest CDC estimates 35% of the population who gets it doesn't even know they ever have it and more importantly ...  less than 0.4% of the population will die even if they get it. The government has scared the hell out of some of you. I never would feel good about forcing people to stop living just because I'm high risk.  

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:54:17 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2020, 02:29:37 pm »

You people that think you should still be staying home should stay home. It's not fair in any universe for others to be punished because you are scared.  

Who the fuck is being punished? 

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2020, 02:37:05 pm »

CF is... 

Sorry, Hoodie, but you missed last week's Deep State meeting, where we voted to punish CF for his role in the COVID crisis.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2020, 02:39:05 pm »

The tons of people losing their businesses and jobs. For instance ... we lost one of the most popular of our local mom and pop establishments.

BTW ... how stupid has the covid rules been? they certainly aren't practical.  The lady who cuts my hair didn't work for 6 weeks because it was dangerous but my chiropractor and massage therapist were fine to work on me. Couldn't go to the local thrift store but could pack into any Home Depots, Wal Marts and Publixes.  Which reminds me  .. I see a ton of elderly and minorities when I'm out shopping but somehow we can't vote in public over the week or so that polls are open.  Nothing about these rules are for safety of anyone and most of us are over it.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2020, 02:46:16 pm »

The tons of people losing their businesses and jobs. For instance ... we lost one of the most popular of our local mom and pop establishments.

BTW ... how stupid has the covid rules been? they certainly aren't practical.  The lady who cuts my hair didn't work for 6 weeks because it was dangerous but my chiropractor and massage therapist were fine to work on me. Couldn't go to the local thrift store but could pack into any Home Depots, Wal Marts and Publixes.  Which reminds me  .. I see a ton of elderly and minorities when I'm out shopping but somehow we can't vote in public over the week or so that polls are open.  Nothing about these rules are for safety of anyone and most of us are over it.

I agree massage therapist should not have been allowed to remain open.  (Insert joke about Bob Kraft) Thrift stores incoming merchandise would pose a significantly higher risk than new goods of Walmart.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2020, 05:44:21 pm »

You people that think you should still be staying home should stay home. It's not fair in any universe for others to be punished because you are scared.
And in exchange, all the fake tough guys who Aren’t Scared Of The Flu will have to consent in writing that they wish not to be treated (with all the legal force of a Do Not Resuscitate order) if they catch COVID-19.  They can just stay home and take some Tylenol, like the bold and rugged freedom-lovers they are, and if it’s their time then that’s that.   Deal?

The lady who cuts my hair didn't work for 6 weeks because it was dangerous but my chiropractor and massage therapist were fine to work on me.
Physical therapists help people with chronic pain.  Barbers make your hair look nice.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #268 on: May 27, 2020, 08:20:54 am »

And in exchange, all the fake tough guys who Aren’t Scared Of The Flu will have to consent in writing that they wish not to be treated (with all the legal force of a Do Not Resuscitate order) if they catch COVID-19.  They can just stay home and take some Tylenol, like the bold and rugged freedom-lovers they are, and if it’s their time then that’s that.   Deal?
Physical therapists help people with chronic pain.  Barbers make your hair look nice.

I've had mixed feelings about all of it.  But since you actually had COVID, I would say that your opinion carries more weight than that of someone like me who didn't have to deal with it.  Sometimes there is a delicate line between what is "good for the people" as a whole, and personal freedoms/civil liberties.   
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #269 on: May 27, 2020, 04:13:41 pm »

But since you actually had COVID, I would say that your opinion carries more weight than that of someone like me who didn't have to deal with it. 

Spiders opinion doesn’t carry more weight than you because he had the disease.

But Dr. Fauci’s opinion carries significantly more weight than others on the appropriate response to a pandemic because he is an expert. 

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray