Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:32:28 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 56996 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2020, 02:41:21 pm »

I think that there is nuance to this.

Rioting is not a good idea.  It's an inevitable outcome.  Don't get confused with me condoning rioting.  I do not.

But it does burn my ass to hear people say "this isn't the way" when Kaepnick kneeling, when NBA players wearing shirts, etc. also was "this isn't the way". 

The country all agreed that that guy getting killed was bad, yes.  But they had to burn Minneapolis to the ground before he was even arrested, several days later.  It doesn't change that those cops all stood there and watched a man get strangled to death while the crowd pleaded for his life.

And it's the same thing with Rodney King.  Had they not burned down LA, nobody would even know who he was.  This is a problem that continues to be ignored.  Rioting is not OK, but it will force change.  Because this same bullshit story is happening over and over and over again and nothing changes.

Amber Guyger killed a guy in his own house, wasn't arrested.
George Zimmerman killed a kid that he hunted down.   Wasn't arrested.
Ahmaud Arbery was hunted down and killed.  DA knew.  Nobody arrested until video leaked.

It's just OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER...  And that community has had it.  So, what they're doing is not OK, but it is absolutely inevitable because there is no other choice left.  As a society, we have done nothing to address it.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #301 on: June 01, 2020, 02:50:51 pm »

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the liberal media and even members of this board regarding social distancing that went out the window when protests and riots occurred.  It seems protesting is more important to them.

Where are you getting this? 

I don't leave my house unless I need to.  People shouldn't be getting within close-distances because they risk getting sick.  They also shouldn't be burning down buildings and fighting police.  Neither is right.  Science don't give a shit about social justice.

Yet, here we are, because they're so fed up with 100 years of bullshit that they're not interested in doing what is right anymore.  Doing what is right has continually fucked them.  Both things can be true.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2020, 04:08:57 pm »

Science don't give a shit about social justice.

This should be a bumper sticker...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2020, 05:31:08 pm »

This should be a bumper sticker...

It kind of already is...

https://www.zazzle.com/facts_dont_care_about_your_feelings_bumper_sticker-128043922933353811
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 07:40:16 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #304 on: June 01, 2020, 06:51:57 pm »

What's happening is just as wrong as what happened to Greg Floyd

You believe vandalism is just as wrong as murder. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2020, 07:40:46 pm »

You believe vandalism is just as wrong as murder. 
You do realize multiple people have died because of these riots right?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2020, 11:26:37 pm »

Back to Covid, seems that deaths are trending down in general over the last 45 days.  We had a little bump but deaths have been down over the last three days to well under 1000.  I think it was like 500 yesterday.   That’s good.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2020, 11:32:12 pm »

Let's get something straight, here: people protesting about their right to go infect others with a deadly contagious disease is not even remotely the same thing as people protesting about the right not to be murdered by the police.  This kind of "protests are protests bro!" take is ridiculous.

But if we're going to compare protests: why is it that a bunch of white people with guns breaking the law and putting thousands of lives at risk to gather in large numbers (and notably: shutting down state legislatures with implicit threats of violence) are met with calm silence and shrugged shoulders from law enforcement, yet other people breaking the law to vandalize and loot (after many of the shelter restrictions have been lifted) are met with tear gas, flash grenades, and rubber bullets?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:40:24 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #308 on: June 02, 2020, 01:49:12 pm »

I'd argue that the rioting is putting more lives at risk than the armed protesters. I actually agree with the idea behind the rioters but both groups are idiots at making their message effective.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #309 on: June 02, 2020, 05:03:00 pm »

Property at risk? Sure.
Lives at risk?  Absolutely not.  The total number of people who die in violent actions related to this riots will be a rounding error in the number of daily US COVID deaths.

Furthermore, while you can argue that the anti-brutality protesters are in public gatherings just like the anti-lockdown protesters, the key difference is that anti-lockdown protesters were fighting to end the safety measures in place to protect everyone. In this respect, they were EXTREMELY successful.  The number of people who die due to direct exposure during the protests (or subsequent transmission) may only number in the 3 or 4 digit range, but the number of people who die due to the early relaxation of restrictions will number in at least the tens of thousands.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2020, 09:51:46 pm »

People have already died in these riots. I don't recall any deaths during the idiot armed protests of the quarantine.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2020, 10:17:42 pm »

I don't think there were any deaths due to violence during the anti-quarantine protests.  The question is how many people were infected and where those infections spread.

As best I can tell, there have been 10 deaths during the riots so far (at least one of those was shot by police who were fired in response).  At the current US average COVID fatality rate of ~5%, that means that if more than 200 people were infected during the anti-quarantine protests, that already matches the number of violent deaths from the riots.

And again: the earlier protesters were fighting AGAINST restrictions to keep people safe, many of which were lifted in response.  That makes the long-lasting effects of their protests potentially far more deadly than the riots.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:26:18 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #312 on: June 02, 2020, 11:45:48 pm »

Back to Covid, seems that deaths are trending down in general over the last 45 days.  We had a little bump but deaths have been down over the last three days to well under 1000.  I think it was like 500 yesterday.   That’s good.

So much for the good news.  Back up to about 1500 today....pretty decent spike, but only one day.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #313 on: June 03, 2020, 07:32:57 am »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/small-town-police-chief-killed-officers-cities-wounded/story?id=71017820

I guess his life doesn't matter huh.  He's just a "rounding error".
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:38:46 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #314 on: June 03, 2020, 09:10:49 am »

So much for the good news.  Back up to about 1500 today....pretty decent spike, but only one day.

Keep in mind today’s numbers are based on behaviors from 2 weeks ago.  It is a slow feedback loop.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray