Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:11:34 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Laremy Tunsil and the Insane LT Market
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Laremy Tunsil and the Insane LT Market  (Read 2660 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: March 30, 2020, 05:24:44 pm »

The Texans recently offered Tunsil $18.5 Million a year on a new deal and he basically wiped his ass with it. Meaning, he wants at least $20 Million a year. Forget about how good he is and think about how the LT market is absolutely insane and almost needs league intervention at this point. I joke but it's not sustainable.

The most important position on the field is QB, undeniable. The Top 10 QB salaries are all over $30 Million so the price for an elite QB is about $33 Million a year and rising. How can you justify paying a LT 60% of that salary for one position that is WORTHLESS if the other 4 on the line don't do their job? You can have the greatest LT of all-time on your team, but if the RT and RG are trash, your QB is getting sacked 6 times a game.

BTW, this is darkly amusing to me because the Texans gave up their future for Tunsil so they have zero leverage here. If he wants $24 Million a year, they have to give it to him.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:07:31 pm »

Ultimately, salaries are relative.  If 70% of a team's cap goes to QB/LT/EDGE/CB, then as long as other teams are forced to pay similar numbers, it all evens out.

The biggest effect something like this would have is amplifying the difference between teams that draft well and teams that draft poorly.  A team with good players in key positions still on their rookie deals would have a HUGE advantage.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:30:43 am »

The only problem that I have with NFL salaries at this point is that because rookies are on pay scale, that essentially means that you are literally forced to have about 1/3 of your roster devoted to players on their rookie contracts. You cannot do it any other way anymore. So that means that teams are constantly getting rid of veteran players and replacing them with younger players not because of talent, but simply because they can't afford not to. That's a problem in my opinion and it needs to be addressed. Either they have to significantly increase the rookie contract numbers so that it's not such a clear advantage to have them or they have to put in some type of veteran pay scale which I don't think is going to happen. Basically the reason it's so out of whack now is because the rookie pay scale is so out of whack.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 09:13:57 pm »

The irony of the Dolphins signing Tunsil at $24 million a year one year after he was traded to the Texans.  They'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:54:54 am »

The irony of the Dolphins signing Tunsil at $24 million a year one year after he was traded to the Texans.  They'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

This is just a thought bubble or you are taking the piss, right?

The moment I saw this I searched around and saw no news of it (although the rumors of Redskins LT Williams being courted by the Texas does open that juicy possibility)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 04:59:59 pm »

This is just a thought bubble or you are taking the piss, right?

The moment I saw this I searched around and saw no news of it (although the rumors of Redskins LT Williams being courted by the Texas does open that juicy possibility)

You're missing the point.   If they re-sign Tunsil, they basically finagled Houston out of three high draft picks for a one year left tackle rental.  That's gonna look really bad on Houston. 

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 11:27:30 am »

I'd bet that the Dolphins front office had a conversation with Tunsil's agent on extension/expectation and they heard his number and started looking for trade partners.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 12:37:25 pm »

I'd bet that the Dolphins front office had a conversation with Tunsil's agent on extension/expectation and they heard his number and started looking for trade partners.

I think the market for LT just got way out of hand the last year and is getting worse. The extension number at the time was probably $15 Million since he was good but not an elite LT with us. The Texans came calling with their ridiculous offer and that was that.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 04:25:29 pm »

I think the market for LT just got way out of hand the last year and is getting worse. The extension number at the time was probably $15 Million since he was good but not an elite LT with us. The Texans came calling with their ridiculous offer and that was that.

I believe his reaction when he found out what he was traded for was, "I'd trade me for that too"

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 04:31:49 pm »

It was, how could you not? Best part is the Texans are definitely on the way down and led by a guy who could honestly be fired as HC and GM by Week 11, so we may have the 15th and 47th picks in the 2021 draft plus our own.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 03:31:58 pm »

More specifics on the #Texans extension with LT Laremy Tunsil, who blew up the tackle market: 3 years, $66M with $57.85M guaranteed (more than I initially said) with $40M over the first two years and a $13M signing bonus, per me and @wyche89

There it is, humongous money and they had no choice. Really, the whole thing is guaranteed when you think about it unless he becomes the worst LT in history during the 2nd season of the extension. I don't know if this kicks in after 2020 or replaces that year, probably after 2020.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 06:49:37 pm »

More specifics on the #Texans extension with LT Laremy Tunsil, who blew up the tackle market: 3 years, $66M with $57.85M guaranteed (more than I initially said) with $40M over the first two years and a $13M signing bonus, per me and @wyche89

There it is, humongous money and they had no choice. Really, the whole thing is guaranteed when you think about it unless he becomes the worst LT in history during the 2nd season of the extension. I don't know if this kicks in after 2020 or replaces that year, probably after 2020.

He sure did blow up the market.   Unless your QB is left handed, LT is the most important position on your line. 

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 08:23:49 pm »

He sure did blow up the market.   Unless your QB is left handed, LT is the most important position on your line. 

It definitely is but it's worthless if the other 4 positions are filled with scrubs. That's why it doesn't make sense to me, seems like the market went up 100% in just a few years. QB is one guy and while he needs to have good teammates, he is still the difference maker. LT requires everyone near him to succeed or else it doesn't work. Can't pay them 70% of an elite QB.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 11:11:59 pm »

Tunsil had them over a barrel.  His worth was valued by the overpayment of picks Houston gave the Dolphins, they couldn't let him go after he played well or they would have been vilified for giving away so much for a one year player.  Couldn't Houston have extended his contract when the trade took place???  Tunsil really should send the Dolphins a basket of fruit or something.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray