Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:29:47 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Tua poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: If Tua is on the board, should we draft him with our first pick?
Yes   -10 (52.6%)
No   -6 (31.6%)
I don't know   -3 (15.8%)
Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Tua poll  (Read 5158 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: April 20, 2020, 03:54:03 pm »

Well?

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 04:18:10 pm »

If you can't trade up for Burrow or don't want to, than yes.   Only reason Herbert is in the equation is because of Tua's injury history. 

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 04:30:15 pm »

I would feel a lot better about Tua at #5 if the Dolphins and their medical staff were able to work him out, check him physically etc.   This whole COVID thing has changed the way that a lot of teams are probably looking at players for this year's draft.   Seeing his mobility, etc. in the video that he sent out was fine.  But you were seeing what he wanted you to see.   
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 05:07:01 pm »

I would feel a lot better about Tua at #5 if the Dolphins and their medical staff were able to work him out, check him physically etc.   This whole COVID thing has changed the way that a lot of teams are probably looking at players for this year's draft.   Seeing his mobility, etc. in the video that he sent out was fine.  But you were seeing what he wanted you to see.   
They touched on this this topic this morning on the radio. If you're not paying the doctor there is no accountability and they literally can "say" anything positive they want while excluding any negatives.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 05:39:33 pm »

My problem with Tua goes much deeper then just his injury status. I think he benefited tremendously from the team he was on and his stats look much better because of it. If Herbert and Tua swapped places I think you would see the same thing happen with their stats, Herbert's would look much gaudier and Tua's would look much more mundane and they would have comparable stats if Herbert's weren't better then Tua's. Then when you consider the fact that Herbert is the prototypical size for a QB, his athleticism and his arm ability and Tua's injury history (not his injury status) it becomes a no brainer for me that the pick should be Herbert. But what do I know, I'm just a fan.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:47:56 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 08:44:56 pm »

"The team you are on" is a double-edged sword, though.  If Tua failed to even make the CFP in 3 years as a starter, he would be considered a total bust.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 04:00:09 am »

Absolutely a yes from me. Sure, there is a lot of risk, but I'm all for swinging for the fences on this one.

I'm also of the apparent absolute minority opinion that great quarterbacks are developed, they very rarely just "happen". Stick a the biggest talent on the worst team with the worst coaching and he will wind up looking like (and eventually becoming) a bust. Surround a talented, but not necessarily great, quarterback with the best coaches and the best team, and he *could* very well develop into a truly great quarterback.

I don't know that we have the coaches -- we certainly don't have the team -- but hopefully we do and hopefully the "team" part happens, through the draft and the free agency; we certainly have the picks and cap space for it. This also implies that I don't want to spend a bunch of picks moving up, since we wouldn't have the team in that case. We need it all.

So, yeah, swing for the fences.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:02:37 am by fyo » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 08:44:24 am »

I've been a Tua fan since he destroyed the Elite 11 competition in High School. The injuries concern me, but the talent is there to become a top-tier franchise QB.

I take him at 5 without hesitation.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 12:59:32 pm »

I think I've made my position clear.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 01:14:47 pm »

If Drew Brees has taught us anything it's that our decisions can come back to bite us for many years.

For those of you not wanting Tua I'll ask you this. What's worse in your mind ... Tua failing as the Dolphins QB or if he succeeds in New England to become the next dynasty?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 01:25:02 pm »

For those of you not wanting Tua I'll ask you this. What's worse in your mind ... Tua failing as the Dolphins QB or if he succeeds in New England to become the next dynasty?

If the scenario comes to pass that Miami passes on Tua, New England trades up to get him and then Tua spends the next 10 years owning the AFC East...that would go down as the worst kick-in-the-nuts in Miami Dolphins history.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 01:39:44 pm »

If the scenario comes to pass that Miami passes on Tua, New England trades up to get him and then Tua spends the next 10 years owning the AFC East...that would go down as the worst kick-in-the-nuts in Miami Dolphins history.

More than likely the Chargers would pick him up at #6. Making the comparisons to Brees even more painful.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 03:02:01 pm »

Reports are coming out that Miami is not interested in Herbert at all, and is more interested in an OT than Tua, with Andrew Thomas being the name floated around.  This means one of a few different things:

1.  Miami wants Tua, smokescreen!
2.  Miami wants Love and is drafting the best OT at 5
3.  Miami wants Herbert (ew), smokescreen!
4.  Miami doesn't want any QB at all and will spend all picks on other positions

So, no one really knows, which means Grier is doing his job.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 04:08:00 pm »

You can't believe anything the next few days until it actually happens. For argument's sake, I think the Herbert love has been a smokescreen by us so that the Chargers don't try to jump ahead or Tua. It's Tua or Bust for us. If we don't want to trade up to ensure Tua, we certainly aren't going to trade up for Jordan Love. If he falls to us at 18 then that's a different story but it's unlikely he gets past Oakland.

If a team leaps ahead of us for Tua, I think we either draft Thomas or entertain trade down offers. I have no idea where our franchise QB will be coming from if this happens but I don't know if we just take a QB because we need one. May have to just hope that the holder of the #1 pick in 2021 doesn't need a QB. That's usually pretty rare.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 09:33:40 pm »

If Drew Brees has taught us anything it's that our decisions can come back to bite us for many years.

Miami chose one player coming off an injury (Dante Culpepper) over another player coming off an injury (Drew Brees).  Who's to say Tua isn't the next Dante Culpepper???  Or the next Dion Jordan.  There's no way NE gets Tua, so stop that scare tactic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray