Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:28:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Day 3 Draft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Day 3 Draft  (Read 3789 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: April 25, 2020, 12:46:47 pm »

With the 111th pick we just took Guard Solomon Kindley from Georgia. Kid is a mauler but struggles in areas. Once you get past the 2nd round, everyone has their issues. He probably won't ever make a Pro Bowl but he can be a decent starter or good depth. We're clearly not messing around with the O-Line this year, signing and drafting tons of players to compete and be depth. Give them a year to gel and see if they can all start in 2021 for Tua.

Kid also seems to have good character makeup and aside from our 2nd rounder, it looks like a running theme for Flores. The Patriot Way, buy in or get out.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 12:52:48 pm »

Kid also seems to have good character makeup and aside from our 2nd rounder, it looks like a running theme for Flores. The Patriot Way, buy in or get out.

I am definitely ok with that.  MIA focked around too many years of letting guys go & do their own thing. I'm glad a hammer (Flores) is there now to nail these guys in place, like you said "get in or get out"

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 03:31:49 pm »

As a confessed draft nerd, I'm pretty happy with Day 3 so far.  Davis is going to be a short yardage run stuffer at DT.  Not a 3 down player at all, but the Fins gave up a ton of yardage on the ground last year and I think he will be a big help with that.

If Solomon Kindley can get rid of some of the lard, he has the potential to be a steal on the 3rd day.  He gets too far out over his toes because he is so fat.  He was able to get away with that at the college level, but NFL linemen will club him too the ground for that.  But if he can shed 30 pounds and not lose too much strength, he can be a REALLY good Guard.

Don't like the Brandon Jones pick.  I had him at either a 6th or 7th round talent.  With Hawkins still on the board, I would have taken him over Brandon Jones any day.  Hawkins has a nose for the ball and Brandon Jones isn't particularly good at coverage or at making tackles.  

Love love love the Strowbridge pick if they keep him on the outside as a rusher instead of trying to move him inside.  I had him as 3rd round talent, so to get him in the 5th round is great value.  He isn't going to be a 3 down player, but in this system where Flores rotates his defensive players, he will be a true asset as a rusher on passing downs.

Also like giving up a 5th rounder for Breida.  I will let Sunstroke give us more insight since he is a 49ers guy, but I liked the role player that Breida was last year in SF and I think he will be fine as a complimentary back for the Fins.

Even though he wasn't Day 3, I will also add that I really like Hunt in the 2nd round.  Normally small school guys scare me, but with a little coaching and keeping him at Guard (he doesn't have the length or arms to play Tackle at the NFL level), I think he can be a starter relatively quickly in his career. 

Overall, I am REALLY happy that they are addressing the OL so aggressively with this draft!  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 03:34:26 pm by Dolphster » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 03:33:06 pm »

We've made two trades today and are just loading up on the D-Line now. Bound to get some starters out of this. I've always said you will have a better team with 5 solid guys on the line than 1 superstar and 4 scrubs.

We also traded a 5th rounder to the Niners for one of their 786987 running backs. He only has one year left on his deal so it's a bit puzzling why we bothered but whatever.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 03:39:18 pm »

We've made two trades today and are just loading up on the D-Line now. Bound to get some starters out of this. I've always said you will have a better team with 5 solid guys on the line than 1 superstar and 4 scrubs.

We also traded a 5th rounder to the Niners for one of their 786987 running backs. He only has one year left on his deal so it's a bit puzzling why we bothered but whatever.

Yeah, Weaver kind of lacks the physicality at DE, but this late in the draft you are kind of throwing darts.  If he was faster, I would kick him out to Outside Linebacker.  But we'll see. 

Overall, I am thrilled that the Fins are trying to build this team through the trenches which is the right way.  An outstanding offensive line makes the QB, RB and WR's all better because of the extra time they buy them and the holes they create and an outstanding Defensive Line makes the job of the secondary a LOT easier by giving the opposing QB a lot less time to wait for a receiver to get open. 
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 04:21:29 pm »

And then they go and waste a 6th round pick on a Long Snapper.  SMH
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 05:31:04 pm »

"Dolphins selected LSU LS Blake Ferguson with the No. 185 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Ferguson (6'3/229) was considered the best snapper of snaps that must travel a longer distance than typical snaps by those who evaluate such things. He will bring national championship experience to plays that require the ball be snapped farther back than usual. "

That's a great write up.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 05:54:13 pm »

"Dolphins selected LSU LS Blake Ferguson with the No. 185 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Ferguson (6'3/229) was considered the best snapper of snaps that must travel a longer distance than typical snaps by those who evaluate such things. He will bring national championship experience to plays that require the ball be snapped farther back than usual. "

That's a great write up.

j

LOL, that reads like one of those memes of clunky translations from Japanese to English.   
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 06:01:55 pm »

At the NFL Combine, he ran a 5.07 in the 40-yard dash. His vertical jump was 31.0″ and his broad jump was 112.0″. He ran a 7.43 in the three-cone and 4.52 in the 20-yard shuttle.

Analysts consider him one of the top long snappers in the country and a leader. They noted his repeatable placement on field goal snaps.

Ferguson was twice named permanent team captain (2018, 2019), becoming the first long snapper in LSU history to receive the honor. He was a semifinalist for the Campbell Award as the nation’s top student-athlete in college football. He was also a two-time chair of the SEC’s Football Leadership Council and a member of the SEC Community Service Team in 2018 and 2019.

Basically, a very high character individual who was picked a round early because we had an abundance of picks and Grier values leadership. Plus, he's a good frigging long snapper. It's not glamorous but every team needs one. Better to take him now than hope he accepts our invite as an UDFA.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 06:18:13 pm »

At the NFL Combine, he ran a 5.07 in the 40-yard dash. His vertical jump was 31.0″ and his broad jump was 112.0″. He ran a 7.43 in the three-cone and 4.52 in the 20-yard shuttle.

Analysts consider him one of the top long snappers in the country and a leader. They noted his repeatable placement on field goal snaps.

Ferguson was twice named permanent team captain (2018, 2019), becoming the first long snapper in LSU history to receive the honor. He was a semifinalist for the Campbell Award as the nation’s top student-athlete in college football. He was also a two-time chair of the SEC’s Football Leadership Council and a member of the SEC Community Service Team in 2018 and 2019.

Basically, a very high character individual who was picked a round early because we had an abundance of picks and Grier values leadership. Plus, he's a good frigging long snapper. It's not glamorous but every team needs one. Better to take him now than hope he accepts our invite as an UDFA.

I suppose.  But there were still some quality players on the board.  If they had spent a 7th round on him, I wouldn't have minded it so much.  But I can name half a dozen other guys off the top of my head that I would have taken in positions of need at that spot. 
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 08:21:31 pm »

Great pick IMO this is a needed position since John Denney's release. He could be a team player for ten years, whereas many 6th round picks never even play significantly in any game.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 09:15:28 pm »

I LOVE high quality characters.  From what i can tell of Flores, these are things they are looking for in players. #FinsUp

I'd rather be lucky than good.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 04:31:09 am »

I suppose.  But there were still some quality players on the board.  If they had spent a 7th round on him, I wouldn't have minded it so much.  But I can name half a dozen other guys off the top of my head that I would have taken in positions of need at that spot. 

John Denney played all 16 games a year for 14 years for the Dolphins. I don't care what position we are talking about, but if you can replicate that in the 6th round, I'm thrilled with that pick.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 04:11:06 pm »

Consensus seems to be that we did well on Day 1, had a lot of reaches on Day 2 but got great value on Day 3.

I'm not really against "reaches" as long as you don't waste a 2nd rounder on a guy who isn't scheduled to be drafted.......or a 1st rounder on Ted Ginn. If you want a player and have the chance to take him, then do so. Shouldn't matter too much if it was 20 picks early if you value him that high. We obviously put a huge emphasis on character and clogging up the lanes on both lines, so we shall see. Lots of these guys are deemed projects so Flores is going to have them learn on the job in 2020 and see where they fit for 2021.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 02:00:13 pm »

OK...my thoughts on Miami's draft:

Round 1, Pick No. 5:  Tua Tagavailoa, QB, Alabama

No surprise...I've been flossing with Tua's jock since he was in High School, and was all for taking the risk for the possibility of greatness. If Tua stays healthy and develops as I think he will, he will be considered one of the top QBs in the game by year 3.

Round 1, Pick No. 18:  Austin Jackson, OT, USC

Tackles went fast in this draft, and while #18 was a little higher than I had my #5 OT, Miami definitely needed to land one in round one, so I'm good with it.

Round 1, Pick No. 30:  Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Auburn

Another pick that I liked, but thought it was a hair early, as I had Igbinoghene with a mid-late 2nd round grade. Sensing a theme at this point about "high character" players. Also...hard to argue genetics, and the Igbinoghene family is chock-full of phenomenal athletes.

Round 2, Pick No. 39:  Robert Hunt, G, Louisiana-Lafayette

I literally stood up and cheered when this pick crossed my screen. I love Hunt, and rated him as my #2 OG in this class. I expect that he'll be a mainstay on Miami's O-line for a very long time.

Round 2, Pick No. 56:  Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama

Another excellent pick...big, beefy and plays with a mean streak...just how I like my D-linemen.

Round 3, Pick No. 70:  Brandon Jones, S, Texas

A bit of a head scratcher for me, as he went a full 2-3 rounds ahead of where I had him. There were at least 3-4 other safeties still on the board that I would've grabbed instead.

Round 4, Pick No. 111:  Solomon Kindley, G, Georgia

Another pick of a player that I mocked to Miami on many occasions. Since I never mocked Miami past round 3, I'll take Kindley's 4th round price tag as good value.

Round 5, Pick No. 154:  Jason Strowbridge, DE, North Carolina

Another quality D-linemen...you have to love how Miami is focusing on the lines.

Round 5, Pick No. 164:  Curtis Weaver, OLB, Boise State

Not a prototypical DE, but the guy was productive in college and has good speed. Hopefully he can be coached into a serviceable rotation guy for the line.

Round 6, Pick No. 185:  Blake Ferguson, LS, LSU

I can honestly say that, in all of the player-research and mock drafting I did this year, I never once even thought about long snappers. Ferguson appears to be good at long snapping, and Miami had a shit-ton of draft picks, so I guess throwing a 6th rounder at that position isn't that bad...

Round 7, Pick No. 246:  Malcolm Perry, WR, Navy

Decent dart throw on a utility guy who can play RB or WR, and has enough QB experience that he could be used on some gadget plays. Might not make roster, but if he does, he has the character (there's that word again) to stick.

Overall, I give Miami an A grade...and was very impressed. This is a team that is building a roster from the ground up, and they got a lot of good material for that construction out of this draft class.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray