Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:04:44 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  What number should Tua wear?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: What number should Tua wear?  (Read 8329 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2020, 03:10:59 pm »

From a rules perspective, I'm not sure what the difference between a QB, RB, and WR is.

I've seen a QB-numbered player split out wide at the snap and receive a pass.
I've seen an RB-numbered player take a snap, drop back, and throw a pass.
I've seen a WR-numbered player line up behind the QB and receive a handoff.

As far as I can tell, the only rule really preventing Parker from being designated a "QB" and wearing #9 (while performing exactly the same job) is the limitation on the number of QBs that can dress.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:55:48 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2020, 11:29:14 am »

Maybe he should wear No. 5, since he was the 5th pick.

Would like to see No. 3 on him, but of course Rosen has it and wasn't he No. 3 at UCLA as well?  Hard to give it unless Tua gives up the $$$

5 for me

I'd rather be lucky than good.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 05:33:47 pm »

5,14, 15,16,18 or 19
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2020, 08:25:48 pm »

It looks like he picked #1.  Will be ordering my jersey asap wooooooo!

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1257822682386780160?s=19
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:27:41 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 09:06:58 am »

The one number I didn't want him to take. Even Joe Rose said ...  isn't that number jersey they give everyone until they get a number? Either way ... here's hoping he is the second coming of Garo Yepremian

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2020, 10:17:26 am »

The one number I didn't want him to take. Even Joe Rose said ...  isn't that number jersey they give everyone until they get a number? Either way ... here's hoping he is the second coming of Garo Yepremian

Garo was the definition of those early 70s Dolphins - the exact opposite of sexy, kind of clumsy in some ways, yet did his job on a team of misfits that somehow managed to beat the hell out of everyone else to stamp their unique place in history.

I'll take that. Cheesy
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2020, 10:37:25 am »

Garo was the definition of those early 70s Dolphins - the exact opposite of sexy, kind of clumsy in some ways, yet did his job on a team of misfits that somehow managed to beat the hell out of everyone else to stamp their unique place in history.

I'll take that. Cheesy

Sadly, he is most remembered for that botched FG that was ran back for a TD during the Superbowl.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2020, 10:51:10 am »

Going back to the retirement of numbers thing... here in Australia numbers are retired for a year, but then revived. There are so many kids who grow up idolizing their heroes (or in some cases parents) who want to wear the same numbers as a tribute. #23 was nothing until Michael Jordan, then everyone gravitated to it and it became magic over a number of sports - in Australia, Shane Warne for cricket, Andrew McLeod for AFL, followed by Buddy Franklin and many others who followed - it has gained a bit of a status for Aboriginal players here to have that particular number. We have legends but the number never stops with them, it's inspiration for the next generation to carry on.

It seems odd in a way that NFL with much bigger team lists and history, will retire a number forever. Yes it seems noble and impressive at first, but really is it? Having flags and tributes at the stadiums for retired players is one thing, having their names and achievements on a numbered locker for future players who share that number should mean so much more for those in the years and decades that follow. It doesn't stop the legend, it builds on it in a positive way.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2020, 10:51:17 am »

Hot take, Tua will be the greatest player to wear #1
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2020, 10:59:19 am »

Going back to the retirement of numbers thing... here in Australia numbers are retired for a year, but then revived. There are so many kids who grow up idolizing their heroes (or in some cases parents) who want to wear the same numbers as a tribute. #23 was nothing until Michael Jordan, then everyone gravitated to it and it became magic over a number of sports - in Australia, Shane Warne for cricket, Andrew McLeod for AFL, followed by Buddy Franklin and many others who followed - it has gained a bit of a status for Aboriginal players here to have that particular number. We have legends but the number never stops with them, it's inspiration for the next generation to carry on.

It seems odd in a way that NFL with much bigger team lists and history, will retire a number forever. Yes it seems noble and impressive at first, but really is it? Having flags and tributes at the stadiums for retired players is one thing, having their names and achievements on a numbered locker for future players who share that number should mean so much more for those in the years and decades that follow. It doesn't stop the legend, it builds on it in a positive way.

You know what I would love to see? (although I know it will never happen). Marino un-retire his #13 and present it to Tua as a changing of the guard.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2020, 12:01:45 pm »

You know what I would love to see? (although I know it will never happen). Marino un-retire his #13 and present it to Tua as a changing of the guard.

I'd want to wait and see before this, but cool concept.  If Tua ends up being a massive Ryan-Leaf-esque flop, then no thank you.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2020, 12:16:06 pm »

Eh, I don’t really like it but it’s just a number. Won’t matter at all if succeeds.

Hard to to top the legend that is Garo though..
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2020, 12:25:24 pm »

I hope he is a better passer than Garo was.   If you get this reference, you are old like me.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2020, 02:54:03 pm »

Sadly, he is most remembered for that botched FG that was ran back for a TD during the Superbowl.
Yeh ... but not in a Bill Buckner kind of way. It's a funny story on the way to winning the Super bowl and a undefeated season. As he said after the game ... "This is the first time the goat of the game is in the winner's locker room."  Cheesy

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2020, 03:40:20 pm »

Yeh ... but not in a Bill Buckner kind of way. It's a funny story on the way to winning the Super bowl and a undefeated season. As he said after the game ... "This is the first time the goat of the game is in the winner's locker room."  Cheesy

Oh yeah, he can laugh about it now. If that was in overtime or cost them the game, he would've retired.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray