Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:16:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Benefits of Coronavirus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Benefits of Coronavirus  (Read 3539 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 08:40:33 pm »

I don't have any benefits personally but I wanted to link back to our discussion on increased divorces. I have been hearing this law firm commercial encouraging men to file for divorce or new motions for their child support because it will be judged on their reduced income if they have been affected that way.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 10:52:33 am »

I don't have any benefits personally but I wanted to link back to our discussion on increased divorces. I have been hearing this law firm commercial encouraging men to file for divorce or new motions for their child support because it will be judged on their reduced income if they have been affected that way.

Unless the wife is a horrible person, that is pretty sorry. 
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 11:31:03 am »

Another side benefit of social distancing - touch wood, there's a hell of a let less flu around.

People are staying away from each other, washing/sanitizing hands in between contacts, staying home when they are unwell. As I have mentioned elsewhere, luckily in Australia we have not had the massive Covid-19 spike of hospital admissions, and with everyone being so cautious, there has not been the flu admissions (yet) either. Heading into winter compared to the last few years, it's completely flipped on it's head from being potentially overwhelming to being surprisingly quiet (for now)!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 12:42:15 pm »

Child support is always based on both people’s income.  If the mother is furloughed and dad is still collecting full income she can make a new motion for increased support.

I know one women who turned down a promotion because on top of not wanting the additional responsibility a $10,000 pay raise based on the formula of the divorce would have lowered his payment by $8500. And she didn’t feel the extra work was worth $1500.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 01:43:12 pm »

How did she know this? Is there some cut and dry formula there or did the job give her the time to investigate with the court? Either option doesn't seem likely to me but I don't have any experience so I am curious.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 01:16:54 am »

I know one women who turned down a promotion because on top of not wanting the additional responsibility a $10,000 pay raise based on the formula of the divorce would have lowered his payment by $8500. And she didn’t feel the extra work was worth $1500.
This sounds a lot like the old "I decided not to make more money because the extra taxes would be too much" tales.

I'm not a lawyer, and maybe FL law is different, but in CA your child support (and/or alimony) is set at the time of the hearing.  If you want to change it, you would have to request a new hearing and petition for a change.  The cost of doing that can be somewhat prohibitive, especially if you have no way to be aware of the promotion (and change of income) in the first place... and doubly so if your own income has changed in the interim.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 01:19:29 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 09:48:44 pm »

One local benefit here is that while the hotels have been closed, the State Government has paid for some of them to house a good chunk of the homeless and is now talking of extending that plan in some way when the crisis is over.

Local story about Covid-19 leading to actions on homelessness, and the push to make it more permanent.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-08/housing-homeless-in-pandemic-has-worked-lets-make-it-permanent/12330442?WT.ac=statenews_sa
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2020, 07:35:57 am »

Local story about Covid-19 leading to actions on homelessness, and the push to make it more permanent.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-08/housing-homeless-in-pandemic-has-worked-lets-make-it-permanent/12330442?WT.ac=statenews_sa

We took a different approach

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2020-03-31/las-vegas-marking-parking-places-for-homeless-encampment
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:38:26 am by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 09:08:19 pm »

Another side benefit of social distancing - touch wood, there's a hell of a let less flu around.

People are staying away from each other, washing/sanitizing hands in between contacts, staying home when they are unwell. As I have mentioned elsewhere, luckily in Australia we have not had the massive Covid-19 spike of hospital admissions, and with everyone being so cautious, there has not been the flu admissions (yet) either. Heading into winter compared to the last few years, it's completely flipped on it's head from being potentially overwhelming to being surprisingly quiet (for now)!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-13/flu-cases-drop-amid-coronavirus-restrictions-statistics-show/12332204?WT.ac=localnews_adelaide
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray