Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:30:12 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Mount Rushmore of NFL Coaches
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mount Rushmore of NFL Coaches  (Read 1395 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 05, 2020, 02:01:44 pm »

Mr Ross said "If there were a Mt. Rushmore for the NFL, Don Shula certainly would be chiseled into the granite." so I thought that was a good question. Then the more I thought about it I realized it is really tough to narrow down the 4 most important people in the history of the NFL so I ask you this which should be simpler to answer ...

Who is on your Mount Rushmore of NFL Coaches? My list would something like this ... in no particular order.

Don Shula
Bill Bellichick
Bill Walsh
Vince Lombardi

Honorable Mention to Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, and George "Papa Bear" Halas
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 02:09:06 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 02:18:37 pm »

^^^ I would've come up with the exact same 4...with similar HM's... The pantheon of top NFL coaches is a pretty clear-cut group. Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 03:29:34 pm »

I might have to put John Madden in there somewhere. He was a pretty good coach before he became a comic book character in broadcasting.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:10:09 am »

I think CF opened and closed the thread with his first post.  I can't think of another coach that tops those 4.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 04:54:13 pm »

Shula
Belichick
Lombardi
Paul Brown

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 05:35:35 pm »

Some other HM's - Marv Levy, Joe Gibbs, Bud Grant
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 05:29:10 pm »

HM for Don Coreyll? His offensive genius is greatly reflected in the West Coast Offense.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 08:57:26 am »

The only problem I have with discussions about "greatest of all time" or "Mt. Rushmore" type questions is recency bias.  All of us are understandable and unavoidably biased towards things that we have seen in our own lifetimes.  It is inevitable.  I think you guys came up with pretty good names in this thread, but it is really difficult to gauge the greatness of a coach or player that you have seen during your lifetime with players or coaches from 70 years ago.  Not to mention how different the game is today from many years ago. It still makes for a fund discussion, I just don't know how accurately we can compare coaches of our generation with those of previous generations.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray