Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:44:02 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Gussying up Food
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gussying up Food  (Read 1861 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:12:16 pm »

Usually, this pertains to combining or reinventing leftovers, of which I'm pretty good.

But today, I took a cup o noodles, added an egg, some sriracha sauce and thin-sliced an old pork-chop.  It's pretty good.  Still needs that fish-stuff brown sauce stuff, but pretty good.

I am fairly good at doing this to shitty kids pizza...like if the kids get a cheese pizza for something, I'll add other stuff to it.  Pasta is also a favorite.  I'll add tuna and peas sometimes.  Or for alfredo stuff, I'll add a chicken breast.  I also like adding artichokes or roasted red peppers from a jar.

Got any recipe suggestions in this vain?

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 02:30:01 pm »

i'm assuming we're going way beyond the vienna sausages in mac-n-cheese here ? ..

you can pretty much make fried rice at any point by adding soy sauce and an egg to left over rice and tossing in whatever else you want
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 02:36:25 pm »

i'm assuming we're going way beyond the vienna sausages in mac-n-cheese here ? ..

I would absolutely count that as gussying up and that's a go-to for me also.

I like the rice idea.  I've never done that.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 02:41:45 pm »

I do the egg thing to my noodles too Dave.

I'll make a three egg omelette and add cheese and tuna to it...then maybe add some salsa and sour cream.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 02:58:54 pm »

Vienna Sausages?  You're doing it wrong.  Italian chicken sausage, sliced thin.  You're welcome.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 03:51:12 pm »

I "gussy up" meat loaf by putting green chili, sun-dried tomatoes, bacon, etc... in the recipe.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 05:12:50 pm »

Right before I got furloughed, my office was having a St. Patricks Day party.  One of my coworkers brought in a Honeybaked Ham.   Me and another co worker were tasked with cleaning up the leftovers.  There was still quite a bit of meat on the ham so I grabbed it, wrapped it in foil and took it home.  Following instructions of a recipe I found on Pinterest, I peeled off all the sweet coating on the ham, then tossed it into a pot to braise with fresh garlic and olive oil.   I then proceeded to add navy beans, cold water, chopped celery, sliced carrots, and diced onions.  After four hours on a low boil with salt and pepper added to taste, the end result was a very flavorful bean soup.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 09:35:42 pm »

I take leftover baked potatoes and dice them then throw them in an iron skillet with some oil, onion,  bell pepper,  salt,  black pepper  and paprika.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 08:41:34 am »

I take leftover baked potatoes and dice them then throw them in an iron skillet with some oil, onion,  bell pepper,  salt,  black pepper  and paprika.

I do a very similar take on leftover baked taters...good stuff!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 09:11:52 am »

What kind of sicko has leftover baked potatoes? I eat mine and then I eat yours.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 10:02:42 am »

What kind of sicko has leftover baked potatoes? I eat mine and then I eat yours.

I do a very similar take on baked taters...good stuff!  Grin
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 11:12:08 am »

^^ Nice!

The ladies in my office today made me Haitian scrambled eggs with peppers and onions, with a side of bacon. I love my coworkers... :-)

~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 03:58:01 pm »

OK, so I've done a few more things.

THE go-to is:
Ramen or Cup O Noodle (drain about half of the broth after cooking)
Chicken breast Strips (I've also done pork, which was good....and I did Salmon, but it was too overpowering.  Chicken was the best.)
1 scrambled egg (you can even do it in the microwave)
Fish Sauce
Sriracha
Squeezed Lime wedge
(optional) add diced veggies -- some carrots and peas are in there, but I add more if we have them

I have tried Fausto's chiken fried rice suggestion but it didn't turn out great.  Maybe I didn't fry it long/hot enough....didn't use enough soy, etc.  It wasn't gross.  It just was basically white rice with some veggies and chicken in it.  The soy and frying process didn't really brown the rice like I expected.  It didn't really adopt the flavor of the ingredients it was cooked with.

Today I made:
Mashed Potatoes
add some flour to thicken
add 1 egg
add black pepper/salt
add diced onion
add diced peppers

Fried until pancake form, top will grated cheese to melt, serve with sour cream

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 12:53:15 pm »

If you have leftover steak because of that potato, you are the sicker one.  Evil
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray