Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:39:55 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sports Without Fans In Attendance
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sports Without Fans In Attendance  (Read 5057 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« on: May 13, 2020, 10:50:54 am »

It is going to be WEIRD if sports start up without people in the stands.  I watched the undercard (the free part) of UFC 249 over the weekend.  There were no fans in attendance.  Although it was kind of cool to hear the corners talking to the fighters and even their strained breathing, it was really weird to have nobody in attendance. 

Side story (aka brag story), I played 2 years of minor league baseball and we were playing in Charleston, SC one night and they had a promotion where they were trying to have a "silent" baseball game.  The fans were supposed to stay completely silent, down to the point where if you wanted to order a beer from a vendor in the stands, you held up a sign to get their attention and wrote down what you wanted.  For the most part, the fans stayed silent.  It was really weird.  They could hear our conversations on the field, etc.  One of the Charleston players hit a home run and everyone held up a sign that said "Hooray!".    It was REALLY weird.  Anyhoos, all the talk about sports starting up without people in attendance reminded me of that story. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:32:49 am »

It is going to be WEIRD if sports start up without people in the stands.  I watched the undercard (the free part) of UFC 249 over the weekend.  There were no fans in attendance.  Although it was kind of cool to hear the corners talking to the fighters and even their strained breathing, it was really weird to have nobody in attendance.  

Side story (aka brag story), I played 2 years of minor league baseball and we were playing in Charleston, SC one night and they had a promotion where they were trying to have a "silent" baseball game.  The fans were supposed to stay completely silent, down to the point where if you wanted to order a beer from a vendor in the stands, you held up a sign to get their attention and wrote down what you wanted.  For the most part, the fans stayed silent.  It was really weird.  They could hear our conversations on the field, etc.  One of the Charleston players hit a home run and everyone held up a sign that said "Hooray!".    It was REALLY weird.  Anyhoos, all the talk about sports starting up without people in attendance reminded me of that story.  
I really enjoyed the UFC event, I watched the PPV too.  That Niko fight was freaking awesome from beginning to end.  I actually liked no fans, it was a cool dynamic.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:05:54 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 11:59:38 am »

There are some things that I can see fully working this way: UFC, NASCAR, Tennis....really most individual sports are fine.  maybe....maybe even baseball (but probably not).

But with contact team sports, I just don't see how it can be done.

No fans is fine, but in football, someone on a team is going to get Corona and then they're going to have to quarantine the whole team for 2 weeks.  I just don't see a way to do it.  I don't think this is the kind of thing where you can just remove the person who tests positive and put the remaining players out on the field.

Think about when there's something like a staff infection in the locker room and how that affects the team.  This will be worse than that.  It's unavoidable.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 01:26:17 pm »

Dave, how do you not consider NASCAR a team event and how do you think UFC is ok. Hard to beat how much contact there is between two people there.

I would much rather have sports with no fans than no sports. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:28:17 pm by Phishfan » Logged
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 05:23:53 pm »

There are some things that I can see fully working this way: UFC, NASCAR, Tennis....really most individual sports are fine.  maybe....maybe even baseball (but probably not).

But with contact team sports, I just don't see how it can be done.

No fans is fine, but in football, someone on a team is going to get Corona and then they're going to have to quarantine the whole team for 2 weeks.  I just don't see a way to do it.  I don't think this is the kind of thing where you can just remove the person who tests positive and put the remaining players out on the field.

Think about when there's something like a staff infection in the locker room and how that affects the team.  This will be worse than that.  It's unavoidable.

Lots of major European sports leagues (so soccer) are starting up again. There are differences - not nearly as many people actively involved on gameday, for instance - but it could provide an idea of what can be done and what happens.

The German league already had coronavirus cases with players after practices were allowed. They didn't quarantine anyone. Just kept up regular testing.

Much like the NFL, there's just too much (TV) money in it for the leagues not to try.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 05:54:13 pm »

Just imagine how much peer pressure there is going to be on a player to remain safe. Rudy Gobert, the first NBA player found to have the  coronavirus, was very embarrassed after he had jokingly made fun to reporters earlier and then found out he really did have it. I can't imagine any player or staff member wants to be the one to shut a team down.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 05:58:22 pm »

Dave, how do you not consider NASCAR a team event and how do you think UFC is ok. Hard to beat how much contact there is between two people there.

I would much rather have sports with no fans than no sports. 

Nascar is a team event, but it's not a contact event.  So, if a team is infected, the race can continue without one car.  Also, the team doesn't have to interact with other teams.  They are self-contained.

UFC is definitely contact, but it's a 1 on 1 event.  So, if a fighter is infected, he doesn't fight. 

Football is uniquely different, because if your QB tests positive, the whole team has been exposed so you can't put them out on the field to contact others.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 06:26:13 pm »

"All professional sports are welcome here for practicing and for playing," DeSantis said at a news conference Wednesday in Tallahassee. "What I would tell commissioners of leagues is, if you have a team in an area where they just won't let them operate, we'll find a place for you here in the state of Florida."

I know the MLS is looking to have all MLS teams play at Disney but it would be cool for me if a football team had to come play in Orlando. For that matter a MLB team too.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 09:37:20 am »

"All professional sports are welcome here for practicing and for playing," DeSantis said at a news conference Wednesday in Tallahassee. "What I would tell commissioners of leagues is, if you have a team in an area where they just won't let them operate, we'll find a place for you here in the state of Florida."

Proving conclusively that DeSantis knows less about professional sports leagues than any member of this message board.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 10:19:56 am »

Sports are going to have to figure out how to resume under covid. I read an article this morning from the WHO saying we are going to likely have to learn how to live with it ...  just as we did AIDS in the 80s. It doesn't seem very likely that it is just going to go away any time soon, and right or wrong, many people will never use a vaccination for it thanks to population control Bill Gates.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 10:34:15 am »

...many people will never use a vaccination for it thanks to population control Bill Gates.

I think it's possible that you missed the entire point of Bill Gates' TED talk... or whatever right-wing website that misinterpreted Gates' original message and twisted it into a political handrail for the feeble-minded to latch onto.

Go listen to it...seriously.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 10:53:25 am »

I think it's possible that you missed the entire point of Bill Gates' TED talk... or whatever right-wing website that misinterpreted Gates' original message and twisted it into a political handrail for the feeble-minded to latch onto.

Go listen to it...seriously.

haha ... First off I said "right or wrong". People are going to believe whatever they want. Secondly Bill Gates has been tied to "population control" way before any TED talk. His parents were a big part of Planned Parenthood. Now they want to make him head of WHO (he already funds them more than any country), an organization that helped China lie about all aspects of this virus. I can't see why anyone would find him suspicious. Maybe we should all be going to the Apple Store instead of the doctors?

With that said I would get the vaccination but I can understand why people might be nervous to do so.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 10:58:19 am »

^^^ Yeah, you still missed his point entirely. Wink

~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 11:02:15 am »

^^^ Yeah, you still missed his point entirely. Wink

LOL ... Where did I state his point or even attempt to? Obviously I'm not intelligent enough to see that I did that so please point it out for me.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 09:38:40 am »

I have caught WWE while flipping through the channels, who for the past several weeks have been wrestling without fans.  Now, I understand fully the difference between the NFL and WWE, I'd say its very strange to watch.  Part of wrestling is playing to the crowd, and with no crowd, wrestlers are "raising the roof" to no one.  Imagine a long Aaron Rodgers TD in Lambeau and a guy Lambeau-Leaps into an empty grandstand...

I have heard discussion of simulated fan noise to be "pumped in" for NFL games.  I feel like that would be a really bad idea.

I think its going to become a problem, peer pressure or not, to put 22 guys on a field in close proximity.  Maybe they develop some kind of breathable face covering to be worn under the helmets, but you know that won't stay on in a locker room full of 50-something players and coaches.  

I don't know what the answer is.  This is much more dangerous than AIDS, because its so contagiously transmitted from person-to-person, and its not easy to detect (even with temperature scanning and the q-tip to the brain test are not 100% catch-alls).  Just really feels like we are on the path to everyone will eventually be infected...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray