Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:09:45 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Do Miami Dolphins still own Florida or has Tom Brady tilted in favor of Tampa?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Do Miami Dolphins still own Florida or has Tom Brady tilted in favor of Tampa?  (Read 3936 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:37 am »

But as Spider said the 3 years prior to that, top notch and even in the last year, he was decent in the playoffs and helped them win the championship. No Manning is a very bad example of a QB doing poorly after he left a team.

You and Spider are correct about the previous two years, but both Tenshot and I specifically said in Manning's LAST year he was bad.  Neither of us were referring to the previous two years.  I know that some of the other comments in this thread were more general about QBs after they left a team.  And I don't want to speak for Tenshot, but he and I did both specify that we were talking about Manning's final season. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 09:27:27 am »

Manning was extremely productive with Denver including a superbowl victory. I can see your analogy with Favre, but not Manning. Maybe you were thinking of Montana?
But as Spider said the 3 years prior to that, top notch and even in the last year, he was decent in the playoffs and helped them win the championship. No Manning is a very bad example of a QB doing poorly after he left a team.
Then Favre is a poor example too by your standards.  He was stellar his first year with the Vikings (4202yds, 33TDs, 7INTs) after leaving the Packers, then had a poor year his final year.  Almost identical to what happened to Manning, but Manning had a defense to lean on.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 10:53:25 am »

Then Favre is a poor example too by your standards.  He was stellar his first year with the Vikings (4202yds, 33TDs, 7INTs) after leaving the Packers, then had a poor year his final year.  Almost identical to what happened to Manning, but Manning had a defense to lean on.
Manning had 3 stellar years, not 1 and won a Superbowl in his 4th. Favre didn't even approach that and I said I could see it with Favre, I didn't say he was the poster boy for falling down after leaving a team. Truth be told neither is a great example of the "shine coming off a player after leaving a team".
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:01:13 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 10:56:34 am »

You and Spider are correct about the previous two years, but both Tenshot and I specifically said in Manning's LAST year he was bad.  Neither of us were referring to the previous two years.  I know that some of the other comments in this thread were more general about QBs after they left a team.  And I don't want to speak for Tenshot, but he and I did both specify that we were talking about Manning's final season. 
That doesn't change the fact that Manning was terrific for 3 YEARS before that. It's a bad example anyway you slice it.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 11:26:16 am »

Manning was extremely productive with Denver including a superbowl victory. I can see your analogy with Favre, but not Manning. Maybe you were thinking of Montana?

I don't think I was clear on my point.

Manning absolutely worked out for Denver...no question.  Bailed them out of Tebow, too. 

What I meant by using him as an example was that Denver didn't become America's team after Manning left and that situation was over.  If the question we're asking is whether or not Tampa is going to take over Florida as the team, the Manning example is meant to say "maybe while Brady is here they'll be interest, but that will wear once he's not here."

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 01:22:50 pm »

I don't think I was clear on my point.

Manning absolutely worked out for Denver...no question.  Bailed them out of Tebow, too. 

What I meant by using him as an example was that Denver didn't become America's team after Manning left and that situation was over.  If the question we're asking is whether or not Tampa is going to take over Florida as the team, the Manning example is meant to say "maybe while Brady is here they'll be interest, but that will wear once he's not here."
Ah, OK. That makes sense.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 05:48:54 pm »

I interpreted the original question as asking whether TB will take over as Florida's team while Brady is in TB.  After Brady is gone, I think it's obvious TB will return to its normal spot in the pecking order.

I don't know how many Super Bowls the Bucs would have to win to fully take over as Florida's team, but I imagine it's quite a few.  It's like asking how many titles the Nets would have to win to fully take over as "NY's team" from the Knicks.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 07:03:56 pm »

I interpreted the original question as asking whether TB will take over as Florida's team while Brady is in TB.  After Brady is gone, I think it's obvious TB will return to its normal spot in the pecking order.

I don't know how many Super Bowls the Bucs would have to win to fully take over as Florida's team, but I imagine it's quite a few. 

I would say it is at most 3.  As two SB wins would tie Miami’s record.  While Dolphins have a decent history let’s not pretend they are the NY Yankees. 

Dolphins will keep Mia, Jags will keep Jacksonville.  But it wouldn’t take much for their to be more folks wearing Bucs gear than Fins gear in Orlando. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 08:20:13 pm »

Do you also believe that if the Nets won 3 titles (passing NYK's 2), they would become NY's NBA team?

It's not just about titles.  The Oakland A's have always had more titles than the SF Giants, but the Giants are the team that gets the shine in the Bay Area (even before 2010).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:25:37 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 10:39:49 am »

Do you also believe that if the Nets won 3 titles (passing NYK's 2), they would become NY's NBA team?

It's not just about titles.  The Oakland A's have always had more titles than the SF Giants, but the Giants are the team that gets the shine in the Bay Area (even before 2010).
To your point, Chicago has always been a Cubs city.  They just recently tied the White Sox with 3 World Series wins.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 12:49:05 pm »

To your point, Chicago has always been a Cubs city.  They just recently tied the White Sox with 3 World Series wins.
I don't know about that. There are quite a few Sox fans as well. The Cubs have more backing outside of Illinois, but not sure about inside of it. And it may have changed in the last 10 years or so which have been down years for the Sox and up years for the Cubs, but prior to that I would say it was pretty even.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:50:51 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2020, 01:50:36 pm »

I know this is off... I been living here in South Carolina for the past 5 yrs. And I see more Dolphin fans here than Panther Fans or falcon fans due to the geography of the Area.  Most of the people I talk to that see When i Wear my Phins gears say the reason why MIA so popular here is the influence the MIA organization had during the 80's, 90' and early 2000. 

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray