Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:38:50 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  We are all just a bunch of governmental monkeys
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: We are all just a bunch of governmental monkeys  (Read 4019 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 26, 2020, 01:42:09 pm »

Interesting perspective going around Facebook ...

“Yesterday, I spoke to my sister in South Carolina. She was concerned that SC was opening ‘too soon.’
“I asked her when she thought it would be right. She had no answer. It reminded me of an experiment researchers did with monkeys.
“Three monkeys were placed in a cage for a week. Three times a day, the researcher would give each a banana and hang a 4th one on the ceiling. The monkeys devoured their banana and climbed up to get the one on the ceiling.
“Immediately each monkey was hit with a spray of pressured water. By the end of the week, no monkey went for the banana. 
“At the end of the week, one of the monkeys was replaced with a new one. On the first day, this new monkey ate its banana and started to climb up to get the hanging fruit and was immediately attacked by the other two.
“Each week one of the original monkeys was replaced and each time a new monkey entered, it,too, would try for the extra fruit.  By week four, none of the original monkeys that had been sprayed remained yet each time a new monkey was added, the other two would attack it when it went for the extra fruit. None of them had ever experienced the consequences of being wet but had been indoctrinated to fear going after that extra banana.
“That's where Americans are today. The government has terrorized us into thinking that the Wuhan virus would kill off all humanity.  We were programmed to stop shaking hands, hugging family and friends, cover our faces in public like Muslims, and  creating "safe distancing". And now that we've found that everything we have been told is fluid and we can go back to acting like humans have since we began walking erect, we are now terrorized by it as well.
“Today's millennial society are the monkeys from week 6. They were never taught that being held hostage is not living nor normal. Humans are a gregarious species and if being isolated like this is "living", then perhaps dying isn't the worst thing that could happen to us.”  -George Roof

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 02:14:12 pm »

I think the Wuhan flu is more like a box of chocolates...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 02:26:36 pm »

I will give you a very concrete answer to your question.

We can begin to ease the shutdown when ALL of the following has occurred.

1.  Two weeks of sustained declining cases, deaths, hospital admissions, and ICU admissions.

2. Hospitals have enough spare capacity to handle 4x current Covid caseload.

3. Enough contact tracing caseworkers and testing capacity so that within 24 hours of a positive test everyone the infected person has come in contact with can be contacted and tested.

4. Enough testing capacity that all test results are available within 4 hours of testing.

5.  Less than 5% of all people being tested are positive.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 02:33:32 pm »

Bottom line...if someone cares so little about other people that they can't bear the horrible, life-altering burden of wearing a mask out in public, then I really don't care to hear them whining about how they're being persecuted.

...and when I hear someone whining about how COVID isn't that bad, it tells me one thing and one thing only...nobody in their family has died from it, because that makes it less "real" to a lot of folks.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 02:42:16 pm »

I will give you a very concrete answer to your question.

We can begin to ease the shutdown when ALL of the following has occurred.

1.  Two weeks of sustained declining cases, deaths, hospital admissions, and ICU admissions.

2. Hospitals have enough spare capacity to handle 4x current Covid caseload.

3. Enough contact tracing caseworkers and testing capacity so that within 24 hours of a positive test everyone the infected person has come in contact with can be contacted and tested.

4. Enough testing capacity that all test results are available within 4 hours of testing.

5.  Less than 5% of all people being tested are positive.
LOL ... New York is the worst place in the country and even there we had make shift hospitals that were never used let alone a full Navy ship that was totally wasted.  Not used just a little. Some were never used. Don't be scared of the banana just because they tell you to.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 02:44:52 pm »

I think this whole shutdown was unnecessary.  From the beginning, we should have quarantined the high risk and healthy bodied people should have kept about their daily lives with social distancing guidelines in place to some extent.  This whole "experiment" has shown people will give up their U.S. born freedoms to feel "safe".  A person should NEVER by arrested for not wearing a mask, even if they should wear one.  The fear mongering and dishonesty from the media has made everyone scared of their own shadows now.  Not every place in the country is New York city and their shouldn't be a sweeping generalization for what we should do when each region is different.

Having said that, I probably follow these new quarantine rules better than people that are terrified by this thing.  I wear a mask, partly because it's kind of cool to be a ninja in public  Wink , I wash my hands a lot and sanitize everything from my hands and face to the credit cards I use.  The reason being is I see my parents on a regular basis and do not want to give it to them as both are high risk.  I'm not taking this thing lightly, but at the same time I'm not going to be part of the public freak out fest.  
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 02:45:21 pm »

Bottom line...if someone cares so little about other people that they can't bear the horrible, life-altering burden of wearing a mask out in public, then I really don't care to hear them whining about how they're being persecuted.

...and when I hear someone whining about how COVID isn't that bad, it tells me one thing and one thing only...nobody in their family has died from it, because that makes it less "real" to a lot of folks.

LMAO ... I may be whining here but I was whitewater rafting in Tennessee over the weekend and on the river last week. The week before were on the ocean. We are living our lives just as most others are doing. Feel free to come out any time and join the rest of the country.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 02:49:33 pm »

Having said that, I probably follow these new quarantine rules better than people that are terrified by this thing.  I wear a mask, partly because it's kind of cool to be a ninja in public  Wink , I wash my hands a lot and sanitize everything from my hands and face to the credit cards I use.  The reason being is I see my parents on a regular basis and do not want to give it to them as both are high risk.  I'm not taking this thing lightly, but at the same time I'm not going to be part of the public freak out fest.  
Nothing wrong with any of that. I have hand sanitizer in every vehicle I own and in fact have had it for probably the past 10 years or so. We all should do whatever we feel we need to do to stay safe but it's making everyone else be forced to do something that is stupid.

Lung cancer and most overweight issues can be prevented. It won't be long before smoking and eating fat foods will be made illegal ... for our own good.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 02:50:08 pm »

LOL ... New York is the worst place in the country and even there we had make shift hospitals that were never used let alone a full Navy ship that was totally wasted.  Not used just a little. Some were never used. Don't be scared of the banana just because they tell you to.

The hospitals were overwhelmed with Covid patients.  The navy refused to treat anyone with Covid (only people who needed hospitalization for other reasons) there was surplus capacity among medical facilities that refused Covid but accepted things like car crashes.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 02:51:09 pm »

Your points counter the ones I just posted, so I wanted to address them as someone who thinks a little differently than you.  I think people should wears masks in public, however, I do not think someone should be forced to.  Even if you think it's stupid not to, which I would agree with, they should have the choice not to wear one.  If an establishment like Costco says you have to wear one to get in, that's a different story.  It's their business, they can do what they want, from wearing masks to not baking a cake for someone.

COVID isn't that bad...for some people.  Spider for instance, it seemed like a mild flu when he describes it and the worst part was the test (correct me if I'm wrong Spider).  The person I know who died from it, my father-in-law's best friend, was high risk and a lifetime drinker and smoker.  
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 02:55:48 pm »

Nothing wrong with any of that. I have hand sanitizer in every vehicle I own and in fact have had it for probably the past 10 years or so. We all should do whatever we feel we need to do to stay safe but it's making everyone else be forced to do something that is stupid.

Lung cancer and most overweight issues can be prevented. It won't be long before smoking and eating fat foods will be made illegal ... for our own good.

Here is the difference:  

Smoking in you own home, eating unhealthy food, riding a motorcycle without a helmet, not wearing a seatbelt are stupid but ultimately a personal choice.  You are only harming yourself.

Driving drunk, driving with faulty brakes, smoking in public buildings, and not cooperating with efforts to reduce the spread of a deadly pandemic OTOH, affects others and is evil selfishness.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 03:00:14 pm »

Your points counter the ones I just posted, so I wanted to address them as someone who thinks a little differently than you.  I think people should wears masks in public, however, I do not think someone should be forced to.  Even if you think it's stupid not to, which I would agree with, they should have the choice not to wear one.  If an establishment like Costco says you have to wear one to get in, that's a different story.  It's their business, they can do what they want, from wearing masks to not baking a cake for someone.

COVID isn't that bad...for some people.  Spider for instance, it seemed like a mild flu when he describes it and the worst part was the test (correct me if I'm wrong Spider).  The person I know who died from it, my father-in-law's best friend, was high risk and a lifetime drinker and smoker.  

I would agree with you if the primary purpose of the mask was to protect the wearer from other.  But that is not its purpose,  it is to protect everyone else.  So it is not a personal choice anymore than smoking inside a crowded elevator is a personal choice.  If we get a vaccine choosing not to get it is a personal (but dumb) choice.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 03:01:10 pm »

But you have a much larger chance of dying for those things. Again ... less than 0.4% of people will die from covid. Most people will take those odds for pretty much anything.  

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 03:07:42 pm »

I would agree with you if the primary purpose of the mask was to protect the wearer from other.  But that is not its purpose,  it is to protect everyone else.  So it is not a personal choice anymore than smoking inside a crowded elevator is a personal choice.  If we get a vaccine choosing not to get it is a personal (but dumb) choice.
I can't agree with that.  Smoking inside is not the same as just standing somewhere and living as a person, and is not an apples to apples comparison for me.  It seems you're more than okay giving up your personal freedoms if you think it's okay to arrest someone for not wearing a mask.  That's not the country I live in.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 03:08:11 pm »

I swear this is a true story. Seems so fake I'm sure you think I mad it up.  

I have a pretty good friend who is a life long liberal. He voted Obama, Hillary, the whole nine yards. Well ... I spoke with him about an hour ago and you'd think he was a Forever Trumper. This whole covid thing has pushed him over the edge and he says he will not be voting Democrat any longer. His wife is a rather big wig within Walgreen's Pharmacys and I do believe she has opened his eyes to what some are calling the biggest fraud of our lifetime. The funniest part to me is he is from Scranton ... Joe Biden's home. Not that it changes anything about anyone's opinion but it is quite the timing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:09:46 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray