Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:27:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins not opposed to playing Tua Tagovailoa this year
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins not opposed to playing Tua Tagovailoa this year  (Read 1912 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 26, 2020, 02:54:59 pm »

Barry Jackson posted this earlier. It was part of a much longer article but this might be news to the "he will definitely not play this season" crowd.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article242469121.html

One person who spoke to the Dolphins’ front office came away with the impression that while it’s likely Fitzpatrick will begin the season as the starter, Miami isn’t opposed to playing Tagovailoa as a rookie if he earns the opportunity at some point this season.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 03:45:22 pm »

They definitely aren't opposed to it but with a shortened offseason, his injuries, an O-Line that needs to gel and 2020 not being the year we think we can contend, it would be surprising if he sees the field barring an injury. And if he sees the field the final few weeks, then we had a worse season than we expected.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 04:17:44 pm »

Total non-story.  What were they going to say, “we drafted him 5th overall, but we doubt he will be ready to play anytime soon.  Heck, I doubt he will even be #2 on the depth chart week 1”. Of course they aren’t opposed to play him.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 06:22:59 pm »

Total non-story.  What were they going to say, “we drafted him 5th overall, but we doubt he will be ready to play anytime soon."  Of course they aren’t opposed to play him.

That was my reaction too.  What else would they say?  There would be absolutely no reason for them to come out and say, "We plan to redshirt him" before he has ever even taken the practice field with the team. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 09:07:30 am »

^^^  Exactly. It would have been a story if the Dolphins came out and said he definitely was NOT playing this year.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 01:28:50 pm »

A better "story" is whether or not Tua will start game 1 against the Patriots. That could make for a very interesting matchup with Tua against whomever the new starting QB for New England will be, Stidham or someone else.

But I think it's VERY unlikely that Tua would start game 1. My reasoning is that the last thing you want to do is make a QB change after Tua starts a game. What if he struggles? Do you just ride it out or do you go to his backup to try to win games? That would put Tua in a very awkward position. I wouldn't do that to him. Rather, I would start Fitzpatrick and see how things go. When you feel confident that Tua is ready or don't feel confident about how the team is playing with Fitzpatrick or he gets hurt or something, then bring Tua off the bench. That way there is very little pressure on him to perform as he's the backup at that point and even if he doesn't play well there's no reason to bring Fitzpatrick in at that point.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 01:36:56 pm »

^^^^ No off season workouts ... there is no way he is even close to starting game one. Flores hasn't shown he cares much about developing a QB in game situations more than winning so there's that too.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 06:48:40 pm »

Interesting read. Even his current doctors are trying to get him to slow down in his recovery. Omar makes note in this article that some people in the organization are still thinking about shelving him this year.

MIAMI DOLPHINS
SPORTS
Omar Kelly
By OMAR KELLY
SOUTH FLORIDA SUN SENTINEL |
JUN 15, 2020 | 4:21 PM

Dolphins’ Tua Tagovailoa begins working with doctors and trainers at team’s Davie facility

According to a team source, some inside the organization believe the best approach for the rookie quarterback is to have Tagovailoa not participate in any drills that involve contact for a full year, with the hopes that the extra time given to heal will help decrease the odds of hip issues returning.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-tua-tagovailoa-training-20200615-bidsn3efkvdmdcbhyqnx64dk2y-story.html

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 10:55:33 pm »

Even though we only have one year of experience to draw from, I think Flores has shown that he is going to start whoever he thinks gives him the best chance at winning.  If all other things are considered equal, meaning that Tua has a clean bill of health, Flores will make it a competition and whoever comes out giving Flores the most warm fuzzies that he can win ballgames is who he is going to start.  Now having said that, with the short amount of offseason preparation in terms of both football conditioning and learning the playbook, getting reps with his teammates, I REALLY don't think Tua is going to be an opening day starter.  But it will be interesting to see him in camp and see what he has.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray