Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:19:12 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Boohoo you poor victim.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Boohoo you poor victim.  (Read 4147 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 11:29:25 am »

^^^ So the answer is B then...you just prefer to not see it.

For the record, twice in my life, I have felt it necessary to call the police to report a person I thought was a potential burglar around my house. In both cases I simply said that there was a man trying to get into my home. In neither instance did the words "black" or "African American" come out of my mouth until the officer asked me to describe them.

When that person describes another person of a different race, they will likely use that person's race as a descriptor.  That is an indoctrination that humans in general have, not just white people.

Assuming that statement is based on your perspective (since you didn't reference any official study), then you just might be hanging around the wrong people...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 12:07:27 pm »

If I was of the opinion that police brutality against black men in this country is overblown by the liberal media and is not a real problem, it would make sense that I would then conclude there is no significant component of race in the Cooper story.  Why would the police treat him any differently just because she mentioned his race?  That doesn’t make sense.

After her hysterical shrieks for help (while choking her own dog), I’m shocked they didn’t send a SWAT team.  The invention of cell phone cameras is making a big difference, because anyone who listened to that 911 call would think he was brutally murdering her and that any level of police response would certainly be justified.

One last thing: it is one thing to describe a person’s race to the authorities for purposes of identification.  It is quite another to tell a person that you plan to describe their race to the authorities. That is a clear threat of police violence, and her bit of theater on the phone confirmed it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:24:25 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 01:06:08 pm »

^^^ So the answer is B then...you just prefer to not see it.

For the record, twice in my life, I have felt it necessary to call the police to report a person I thought was a potential burglar around my house. In both cases I simply said that there was a man trying to get into my home. In neither instance did the words "black" or "African American" come out of my mouth until the officer asked me to describe them.

Assuming that statement is based on your perspective (since you didn't reference any official study), then you just might be hanging around the wrong people...

Let me put my psychology degree to good use then.  If there is a study regarding this, I haven't seen it, but I will show you where my thought process came from.  It all comes down to tribalism (the behavior and attitudes that stem from strong loyalty to one's own tribe or social group).  

Humans evolved in the context of intense intergroup competition, and groups comprised of loyal
members more often succeeded than those that were not. Therefore, selective pressures have
consistently sculpted human minds to be "tribal," and group loyalty and concomitant cognitive
biases likely exist in all groups.

These groups can be many things, but the two most glaring are political affiliation and race.  We can discuss the philosophical aspect of tribalism, as there are many interpretations of it, but in this instance I'm applying tribalism to race.  Every race has a tribalistic aspect to them.  There is a black culture, Hispanic, Asian, white, etc., and the biases that exist in each of those races.  Back to my point, if someone is describing someone of their own race to a third party, they are using a tribal bias that exists in all groups.

We conclude that tribal bias is a natural and nearly
ineradicable feature of human cognition, and that no group—not even one’s own—is immune.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331823894_Tribalism_is_Human_Nature

The article I continue to reference focuses on political tribalism, but also paints a broad stroke of tribalism in general.  Tribalism can be used to help the group, but is also dangerous due to group think.  To say I'm "hanging around the wrong people" is a rather basic and incorrect way to address it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:18:54 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 01:07:43 pm »

If I was of the opinion that police brutality against black men in this country is overblown by the liberal media and is not a real problem, it would make sense that I would then conclude there is no significant component of race in the Cooper story.  Why would the police treat him any differently just because she mentioned his race?  That doesn’t make sense.

After her hysterical shrieks for help (while choking her own dog), I’m shocked they didn’t send a SWAT team.  The invention of cell phone cameras is making a big difference, because anyone who listened to that 911 call would think he was brutally murdering her and that any level of police response would certainly be justified.

One last thing: it is one thing to describe a person’s race to the authorities for purposes of identification.  It is quite another to tell a person that you plan to describe their race to the authorities. That is a clear threat of police violence, and her bit of theater on the phone confirmed it.
I'm not saying you're wrong.  I'm saying it isn't clear, it's assumed.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 01:19:01 pm »

Why else would she say to him that she's going to tell the police an African-American man is threatening her?  He obviously knows what his own race is.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 01:22:48 pm »

I'm not saying you're wrong.  I'm saying it isn't clear, it's assumed. 

I'm sorry, man...that was racism, pure and simple.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 01:32:20 pm »

Why else would she say to him that she's going to tell the police an African-American man is threatening her?  He obviously knows what his own race is.
I don't know, what did she say when someone asked her that?
On Tuesday morning, Amy Cooper told CNN that she wanted to “publicly apologize to everyone,” saying, “I’m not a racist. I did not mean to harm that man in any way.”

“I think I was just scared,” she said. “When you’re alone in the Ramble, you don’t know what’s happening. It’s not excusable, it’s not defensible.” She added that her “entire life is being destroyed right now.”

And what did he say?

Christian Cooper responded: “I can’t tell you whether or not she’s a racist. I can tell you what she did in that moment, and it was a moment of stress and of confrontation and of, probably, spectacularly poor judgment. But in that moment, what she did was definitely racist. Now, should she be defined by that, you know, couple-of-seconds moment? I can’t answer that. I think that’s really up to her and what she does going forward.”

https://www.thecut.com/2020/05/amy-cooper-central-park-dog-video.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think this is a non story period, but I understand why it is:

a) Poor timing for her, it's being grouped in with the MN tragedy
b) The "Karen" meme and it's popularity.  Liberal media is trying to hijack this as a white woman that needlessly calls the cops on black people, when it really is an attitude a white woman has that can best be described as "I want to speak with your manager".  She's a complete Karen.
c) The liberal media's obsession with race
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:37:10 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 01:44:10 pm »

As the victim said ... it was a racist act but that doesn't make her MO in life a racist. In my opinion she is just like many Americans ... she feels entitled to do whatever she wants and will say whatever it takes to make that happen. The whole dog aspect proves that. Now she could be both entitled and a racist but I don't think the whole racism thing was proven ... especially since she so easily apologized. I've known some racists and I can't ever see them apologizing to the race they hate.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 01:51:43 pm »

As the victim said ... it was a racist act but that doesn't make her MO in life a racist. In my opinion she is just like many Americans ... she feels entitled to do whatever she wants and will say whatever it takes to make that happen. The whole dog aspect proves that. Now she could be both entitled and a racist but I don't think the whole racism thing was proven ... especially since she so easily apologized. I've known some racists and I can't ever see them apologizing to the race they hate.

I think the apology was an attempt at damage control.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 02:12:27 pm »

^^^ Of course it was...

when it really is an attitude a white woman has that can best be described as "I want to speak with your manager".

I think it could be better described as "I'm going to call the cops and tell them a black man is attacking me, and then you know what's going to happen..."

I could be wrong though... In your experience, does talking to a manager occasionally end up with someone dead?

~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 02:25:21 pm »

^^^ Of course it was...

I think it could be better described as "I'm going to call the cops and tell them a black man is attacking me, and then you know what's going to happen..."

I could be wrong though... In your experience, does talking to a manager occasionally end up with someone dead?

Okay you old fogey, I'm going to stop trying to explain what a Karen is, you aren't hip enough on the new lingo.   Evil

EDIT:
Woman Fired After Viral ‘Central Park Karen’ Confrontation | NBC New York
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeDxw7VOYrw

Or the actual post from the victim where he refers to her as a Karen

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:28:24 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 02:57:22 pm »

she's not a racist, she only does racist things every once in a while

I understand what you're saying. I just don't think it matters. Can racism exist on a scale? Of course, you can have mild racism and extreme cases. My point is that I think it's like crapping your pants. It can also be on a scale, you can have a shart and you can have full on Paul Pierce style crap on national TV. The end result is that it's binary, even if you only shit your pants a little .. you've still shit your pants. Even if this Karen only racist-ed a little, she still a racist.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:03:40 pm by Fau Teixeira » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 04:01:29 pm »

No idea who Karen is...is she a raqcist too?

~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 04:48:31 pm »

I see we're back on the "If you haven't burned a cross on someone's lawn while wearing a white hood then you're Not A Real Racist" kick.  She only tried to get him killed a little bit, and she rarely ever does that!

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 04:51:27 pm »

No idea who Karen is...is she a raqcist too?

It is a meme that casts all middle aged white women with a short hair cut as being racist.  I would say it is one of the few times that whites are the victims of being classed into a group and blatant bias.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray