Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:27:35 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Suggested police reform
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Suggested police reform  (Read 6344 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 11:02:04 am »

I may be cynical but I don't see how you can change much. A certain percentage of people will always suck no matter what rules you put into place. It always amazes me when I see videos of just how shitty people can be. I'm getting too old to fight idiots and that's why I carry guns.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 11:30:28 am »

...I'm getting too old to fight idiots and that's why I carry guns.

Too old to fight idiots, but just young enough to shoot them?

Huh   Roll Eyes

Hmmmm

Huh   Roll Eyes

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 11:34:29 am »

https://youtu.be/Wf4cea5oObY

John Oliver's take on it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 11:35:23 am »

Too old to fight idiots, but just young enough to shoot them?

Huh   Roll Eyes

Hmmmm

Huh   Roll Eyes

I have no idea what you are trying to say. I know people in their 80s who have guns and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that. I always see many older people at gun shows.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2020, 12:33:55 pm »

I have no idea what you are trying to say. I know people in their 80s who have guns and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that. I always see many older people at gun shows.

You're right...you missed it completely.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2020, 02:39:59 pm »

I may be cynical but I don't see how you can change much. A certain percentage of people will always suck no matter what rules you put into place.

That's true.

There will always be bad apples.  But police (or clergy or schools or prisons or Hollywood or politics or whatever) must be under constant scrutiny for those that protect those bad apples.  Whenever you have a system where there is a difference in power, you will find those that seek to abuse that power.  Jerry Sandusky, police brutailty, pedo priests, Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Epstein, prison abuse -- they're all the same type of problem.  There is a disparity in power that's being abused and the system that they're in has a vested interest to protect itself so power isn't lost within the system.

The protests are an attack on that system for police.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 11:46:44 am »

Cops need to turn in their tasers, mace, tear gas and rubber bullets.  When the cops were granted these “tools” it was on the understanding that cops would be using them as an alternative to using their gun and thus decrease the incidents of people being shot to death.  Reality is cops never use them as an alternative to their gun, but as a method of torture.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2020, 10:00:54 pm »

This hilarious image from those fun-loving jokesters at the Euclid, OH police department was at the center of a ruling yesterday from the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals that held that Euclid cops will not have qualified immunity from lawsuits after they tased and pepper-sprayed a man in his car, then arrested him on drug charges with no evidence.

Here's part of the opinion of the unanimous panel, authored by Trump appointee John K. Bush:

The police officers, in plain clothes, approached Wright’s parked SUV with weapons drawn.  Thinking he was about to be robbed, Wright tried to back up the vehicle to get away. A flash of a badge made him realize that the men he thought were about to rob him were the police. Wright stopped the SUV, and the officers pulled open the driver’s side door. Wright had no weapon, and the officers holstered theirs. Nonetheless, they simultaneously deployed a taser against him and pepper-sprayed him at point-blank range, all while he remained seated in the vehicle.  Wright had trouble getting out of the SUV because of a colostomy bag stapled to the right side of his abdomen. He was recovering from a medical operation for diverticulitis. The police aggravated the staples from his surgery, causing bleeding from around the bag.

The officers then arrested Wright even though there was arguably no probable cause for the arrest. The officers designated Wright’s arrest as arising from a drug investigation, even though they found no drugs on him. This designation resulted in Wright’s being detained for more than nine hours and subjected to an intrusive body scan for drugs well after the officers knew of Wright’s medical condition. The scan revealed no drugs, and no drug-related charges were ever brought against him.

Is it any surprise that when you announce that officers cannot be held liable for their actions, they have depictions of police beating unarmed civilians in their official training materials?

The police are fundamentally broken.  Fortunately, these protests seem to be working: CO just signed a bill completely eliminating qualified immunity into law.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:02:38 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray