Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:05:49 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sacramento Kings announcer since 1988 gone after "All Lives Matter" comment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Sacramento Kings announcer since 1988 gone after "All Lives Matter" comment  (Read 8086 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« on: June 04, 2020, 04:57:43 am »

This has been a story in NorCal, but apparently it has made national news, and it's obviously relevant to current events.  So:

DeMarcus Cousins (who has played the majority of his career in Sacramento) sent a tweet to Kings play-by-play announcer Grant Napear, and here was the response:

Now, let's give a little backstory.  Napear has had a daily drive-time show on the Kings flagship radio station for decades, and while Cousins was in Sac, Napear criticized him very heavily.  Last year, when Cousins criticized Raptors fans for cheering Kevin Durant's injury, Napear said of Cousins, "This guy is the rudest, crudest, most vile player that I have ever been around in my 31 years in the NBA."  They have a poor relationship, to say the least.  So Boogie's tweet was definitely bait.  And Napear took ALL of it.

Boogie's tweet in response was "Lol as expected."  But then something else happened:  Kings legend Chris Webber followed up with, "Demarcus we know and have known who grant is. The team knows as well. I’ve told them many times.  They’ve seen it. They know who he is."  Then former Kings player Matt Barnes (who grew up in Sac) tweeted, "Would expect nothing less from a closet racists" (sic).

Napear was put on administrative leave from the radio station, then fired the next day.  Napear also "resigned" from his play-by-play job with the Kings.

Before we get into the All Lives Matter discussion, it is worth mentioning that Napear has defended Donald Sterling on his radio show, saying that a man who hired a black GM and black head coach could not be racist.  Napear also repeatedly criticized Colin Kaepernick for his protests during the anthem.  And given the comments of those former Kings players, this is more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation.

---

So, I know that some people will object to the very concept of an "All Lives Matter" response even being a straw in the first place.  The thing is, after 6+ years of "All Lives Matter" being used almost exclusively by people who ideologically oppose the actions of Black Lives Matter activists, it has reached a level of extra meaning that phrases like "Separate But Equal" have.

Now, no one would say that they are against equality, right?  And "Separate But Equal" inherently calls for equality!  But we all know that there is a subtext behind the literal meaning of the words in that phrase.  And that's now the case with "All Lives Matter": the subtext is that black people should stop complaining and asking for special treatment.  In this specific case, Napear himself used that phrase to antagonize a player he dislikes who asked him about BLM.  Napear knew what he was doing, and his response was crafted carefully.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 05:43:29 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 06:23:48 am »

“All lives matter” has ALWAYS had the same undertone as “Separate but equal”

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:55:52 am »

All lives matter is a stupid thing to say to begin with. When i see it i immediately think people are either stupid or malicious.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:05:58 am »

All lives matter is a stupid thing to say to begin with. When i see it i immediately think people are either stupid or malicious.

And yet I think it is a very appropriate comment. There was the shooting of Justine Diamond by a black police officer who was on the edge, very similar to what happened but in reverse. I really do sympathize, and yet I also see it as part of a culture that overall is very on edge and armed to the hilt.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:09:57 am »

This may be one of those things where you don't have the same historical context in Australia as in the US.

The best analogy i saw was the fire fighter pointing the fire hose at the house that isn't on fire because "all houses matter"
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:16:12 am »

I think everyone knows now Black Lives Matter means Black Lives Matter as well or also, not Black Lives Matter more than any other lives.  I think the message was miscommunicated and convoluted in the beginning that could have been clarified by adding a "too" to the end of BLM, but then people did use the All Lives Matter slogan maliciously after that.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 09:27:13 am »

This may be one of those things where you don't have the same historical context in Australia as in the US.

The best analogy i saw was the fire fighter pointing the fire hose at the house that isn't on fire because "all houses matter"

Yes very true. We are an even younger country than the USA, we are still going through some growing pains, although maybe not to the same extent purely because of history and relative isolation (and just pure numbers of people). Racism is still a scar on our history, and it is still ongoing - for a long time the flippant, casual kind was tolerated (the old "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me") but Harry Connick Jr's slapdown on Hey Hey It's Saturday alerting us to the offense nature of blackface was a (welcome) wake up call to the deficiencies of our culture.

Oh, and that was tolerated because we naively thought like we never really had really bad stuff like slavery... until films like Rabbit Proof Fence alerted us to the history of the stolen generation and other equivalent atrocities.

We are working on it... it is far from perfect, but we are looking at ourselves and trying to work out how it should be better. If there's a death related event, even more so.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:13:30 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 09:35:19 am »

I realize that people don't try and ever understand a different person's perspective but when white people hear Black lives matter slogans it seems more like a separating term than equality just the way when a white person says "All lives matter" blacks take it as a slam on them. I do agree that "too" helps define that but the truth is until we quit pointing out how we are different with labels then we will never be the same. We can't all ever be African Americans, Puerto-Rican Americans, or white Americans but we can be Americans.  

I learned in marriage counseling many years ago that what I say isn't what the other person actually hears. Perspective has a huge impact on our understanding. We suffer this tremendously in society as a whole but I don't think we are that far apart for the most.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:38:59 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 11:23:39 am »

I think everyone knows now Black Lives Matter means Black Lives Matter as well or also, not Black Lives Matter more than any other lives.  I think the message was miscommunicated and convoluted in the beginning that could have been clarified by adding a "too" to the end of BLM, but then people did use the All Lives Matter slogan maliciously after that.

That was made abundantly clear from the beginning.  Others such as Fox and Trump were the ones claiming the implied too was an implied only.  And even on this board when that was pointed out ad nausium folks on the right continued to distort the meaning.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 11:28:48 am »

That was made abundantly clear from the beginning.  Others such as Fox and Trump were the ones claiming the implied too was an implied only.  And even on this board when that was pointed out ad nausium folks on the right continued to distort the meaning.
Roll Eyes

No, obviously it wasn't made abundantly clear from the beginning, but please continue to know what confused people around the nation were thinking Mr. Telepathy.  That doesn't even matter anymore, everyone knows what it means now.   
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 11:41:52 am »

The firefighter example is pretty good, but I've even heard a better example.

Imagine a mother grieving the death of her child.  At the funeral, she speaks and said "my child was special."  And then someone stands up and blurts out "all children are special."

That's the tone that "all lives matter" conveys.  OF COURSE ALL LIVES MATTER.  That was never a question and it was never anything anybody said except as a response to "black lives matter".  Black communities are in crisis with their lives being devalued by their society, the police, their government.  All lives are not.

Or wandering out of the desert dying of thirst, you say "I need water".  And the person walks away saying "Everyone needs water" is a pretty good one, too.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 11:52:53 am »

I do think that early on, people who did agree with the BLM movement might see "All Lives Matter" as a sort of middle ground; a way to try to support protesters without offending opponents.  They were wrong, but earnestly so.  So the appropriate course of action is to explain why that seemingly innocuous phrase "All Lives Matter" just serves to trivialize the issue.

But that time has passed.  Anyone saying "All Lives Matter" in 2020 knows that means they oppose BLM activists.  Even if you are a veteran who has personally been wounded and lost your own blood to protect our land, "Blood and Soil" has a very specific meaning that goes beyond the definition of the words.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 11:59:42 am »

I do think that early on, people who did agree with the BLM movement might see "All Lives Matter" as a sort of middle ground; a way to try to support protesters without offending opponents.  They were wrong, but earnestly so.  So the appropriate course of action is to explain why that seemingly innocuous phrase "All Lives Matter" just serves to trivialize the issue.

But that time has passed.  Anyone saying "All Lives Matter" in 2020 knows that means they oppose BLM activists.  Even if you are a veteran who has personally been wounded and lost your own blood to protect our land, "Blood and Soil" has a very specific meaning that goes beyond the definition of the words.

I agree.  And early on, I fell into that same category.  When the BLM movement first started, my initial reaction was "Well no duh, all lives matter."   But as the "all lives matter" retort has evolved, I now see that it does trivialize the issue.  At 100% face value, all lives DO matter.  However, when used as a rebuttal to the slogan "Black Lives Matter", I think that "All Lives Matter" has just become an excuse to be lazy and to not have to take an unbiased look at the subject. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 12:10:29 pm »

I agree.  And early on, I fell into that same category.  When the BLM movement first started, my initial reaction was "Well no duh, all lives matter."   But as the "all lives matter" retort has evolved, I now see that it does trivialize the issue.  At 100% face value, all lives DO matter.  However, when used as a rebuttal to the slogan "Black Lives Matter", I think that "All Lives Matter" has just become an excuse to be lazy and to not have to take an unbiased look at the subject. 

This is a wonderful, understanding, and nuanced take. 

It's totally cool to feel something, evaluate yourself and how it makes others feel, and evolve.  Good for you.

I drink your milkshake!
Garrett

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 07:42:40 pm »

Getting fired for tweeting "All lives matter", is ridiculous. Our society is a bunch of sensitive pussies. Always looking for something to be upset about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray