Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  AFL - Australian Rules Football 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: AFL - Australian Rules Football 2020  (Read 4750 times)
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« on: June 04, 2020, 07:55:07 am »

Hi guys,

For a whole 1 week of the season before the Covid-19 shutdowns hit, a few of you guys in the USA tuned into the true Australian brand of football:
https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/afl-proves-a-smash-hit-in-america/3978037/

It starts up again from next week June 11th, find it if you can (if you want). Full contact, no padding, no protection, we have foot skills that make NFL punters look like hacks, 18 players a side that run on average around 7 and a half miles per game (most of it flat out) for 4x 20 minute quarters. Enjoy!

https://www.afl.com.au/

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 08:22:03 am »

Sounds better than Korean baseball.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:32:23 am »

When I was a kid back in the early days of ESPN, they would show Australian Rules Football.  I really enjoyed it.  Over the years it has just kind of fallen off my sports radar.  But I'm going to make an effort to find it when it starts back up again.  I never completely figured out the rules, but it was fun to watch.   Smiley
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 08:56:45 am »

I'll take it .. round field .. refs with funny hats and all .. still take it Smiley
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 08:59:23 am »

It is a bit different with an empty stadium (as per week 1), personally I found it a little hard to get into and it overall looked like a bit of a training drill compared to a 'usual' game with 50,000 plus people in a stadium stretching their voice....

That said even without a crowd it did seem to make an impact in the sports starved USA when week 1 happened (I tried unsuccessfully to find it, I am sure somewhere had said Nick Maggold went nuts when he saw AFL for the first time that week). NRL (Australian Rugby League) last week experimented rather successfully with a dubbed crowd noise for highlights like scoring to add atmosphere, I could see them doing something similar when AFL kicks off.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:07:08 am »

Isn't that what they're doing with the Bundesliga ? adding in dubbed crowd noise .. it's a little disjointed at first listen but it kinda fades away as you get into the game.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 09:12:43 am »

Isn't that what they're doing with the Bundesliga ? adding in dubbed crowd noise .. it's a little disjointed at first listen but it kinda fades away as you get into the game.

Yeah, that plus cardboard cutouts of fans (who are already messing with them, having dogs and less palatable people in their seats!).

It can kind of work, it depends a bit on the game, plus possibly a delay in broadcasting. I have a friend who will be part of the broadcasting the first of the rebooted AFL games here, they think they can make it work for a televised audience.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 04:43:10 am »

The AFL season restarts in about an hour's time with what should be a cracker of a game featuring two of the best and most skillful teams and close rivals (last year's Champion, Richmond Tigers vs Collingwood Magpies). It should be a great introduction to the game for those tuning in for the first time...

There should be some great games this weekend - similarly skilled traditional rivals Hawthorn and Geelong face off tomorrow at the same time....

Then another 24 hours later on, the two teams based in my city clash in what is usually a bloody war - the Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide Power really do not like each other one bit, so you can more than likely expect a tough, close game and a bit of claret on the field.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 09:43:09 am »

i believe it'll be on FS1 today .. something to watch ! .. woot !
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 10:30:17 am »

I never got into Aussie rules but I love rugby. Particularly Super Rugby. Go Brumbies! It used to be easy to find it on tv but It's been near impossible over the past few years.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 04:26:19 am »

Ok guys, after 17 weeks and two weeks of finals we're down to the last four teams in two sudden death preliminary finals to determine the final two who will fight to be 2020 AFL Champions.

While it's been an interrupted and somewhat disappointing season, these four teams were clearly the best all year, and when they played each other just two weeks ago the games were brilliant.

If you have free time Friday or Saturday (your time), it's a good opportunity to see our premier sport down under.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:03:14 pm by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 09:39:19 am »

Is this the sport where the refs do that double arm motion like they're helping a plane land quickly to represent a score?  If so, I'm in.

I drink your milkshake!
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 08:20:35 pm »

Is this the sport where the refs do that double arm motion like they're helping a plane land quickly to represent a score?  If so, I'm in.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 11:05:52 pm »

I should have said Friday and Saturday your time (not Saturday and Sunday)...

The first game is in just under 6 hours time - the rain is bucketing down here in Adelaide, it will be a wet one.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 08:52:28 am »

The last game of the year coming up this Saturday, the Grand Final, the closest thing Australia has to the Superbowl...

Even though it's a night game here, we are around 15 hours ahead of you guys on the east coast to 18 hours ahead on the west coast.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray