Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:24:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Breaking News: Marine Corp no longer allow the display of all enemy flags.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Breaking News: Marine Corp no longer allow the display of all enemy flags.  (Read 4777 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2020, 11:37:58 am »

A small semi-humorous aside (humorous to me anyway)... When I arrived at Fort Leonard Wood for basic training in 1982, we got off the greyhound bus in front of the post, and there were military buses (aka "cattle trucks") waiting for us.
 After they got us in formation, one of our Drills, a very large black SSG named Mack Chisholm (yes, like the trail) starts giving this speech about how racism doesn't exist in today's Army. He closed out his speech by saying

"There are no whites here, and there are no blacks here, you are all green to me!  Now, get on those buses... light greens in the front and dark greens in the back!"

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2020, 12:26:48 pm »

The confederacy lasted 5 years.  It is not like Ireland with thousands of years and hundred of generations of ancestors. 

The TV show Cheers lasted twice as long as the confederacy. 

I was in elementary school for longer than the confederacy lasted.

Face it you aren’t honoring those five years of your great great great great great great grandfather’s life.  You like the white supremacy.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2020, 12:45:16 pm »

I wouldn't go quite that far.  I think there are some people whose great-grandparents enthusiastically embraced that flag 100 years ago for reasons, and then the grandparents and parents were raised to revere it (with the original meaning being deemphasized as time went on).

But if you won't acknowledge that the reason for the spread of that particular flag (which was NEVER the flag of the actual Confederacy) is specifically and exclusively white supremacy, then you're making excuses for racism because you don't care.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:46:53 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2020, 04:03:29 pm »

I'm just going to say this and move on. The US flag has flown over slavery way more than the Confederate flag. The US flag has been used for racist purposes, the Bible has been used for that and even war. The garb for which the Democrats used in their publicity stunt photos is from Ghana Africans who actually sold slaves to the US and other countries.

What I'm saying is we can never get rid of everything that has negative past and by doing so we'd have to get rid of everything. As adults we need to move on and use history lessons to grow from ... not run from.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 04:05:00 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2020, 04:17:40 pm »

When there was a civil war to determine whether slavery would be allowed to continue in this country, the Stars and Stripes were on the side that wanted to abolish slavery.  So you're going to have to do better than the whataboutism of saying, "The US flag also stood for slavery."

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2020, 04:20:57 pm »

What I'm saying is we can never get rid of everything that has negative past and by doing so we'd have to get rid of everything. As adults we need to move on and use history lessons to grow from ... not run from.

You make a valid point (I can't believe I said that), but it could be argued that changing could be construed as "growing from history's lessons" and not changing could be construed as "running away (or at least hiding) from them.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 04:25:28 pm »

I'm just going to say this and move on. The US flag has flown over slavery way more than the Confederate flag. The US flag has been used for racist purposes, the Bible has been used for that and even war. The garb for which the Democrats used in their publicity stunt photos is from Ghana Africans who actually sold slaves to the US and other countries.

The tired old Jefferson owned slaves too argument.  Nobody has ever put up a monument to Jefferson to honor his slave owning, it was for writing the declaration of independence.  Lee is being honored for committing treason and terrorism against the USA.  

If you are willing to have a statute of Lee then have one of McVeigh as well.  

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray