Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:43:06 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  RIP Jim Kiick
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RIP Jim Kiick  (Read 1776 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« on: June 20, 2020, 07:53:55 pm »

The poor guy had been existing in the hell that is dementia for a long time.  He is probably already in The Coach's doghouse in the afterlife.  LOL 
doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 11:48:00 pm »

A fine player, a tough guy, one of the heroes of my youth. Clutch performer, great hands, had a nose for the end zone. Rest In Peace, number 21.

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 08:20:32 am »

First news I heard when I woke up.  RIP
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 10:04:13 am »

As far as I know, Jim Kiick was also the only Halfback who spent a lot of time blocking for a Fullback (Csonka).  I remember Zonk pointing that out one time when talking about how tough Kiick was.  He marveled at the fact that the 215 pound Kiick was serving as the blocking back for him.  Zonk was rolling at about 239 pounds at the time.
doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 11:17:03 am »

They listed Zonk as 239, but in truth he was more like 260ish at his peak. Even at that weight, Zonk had that little bit of speed, and good vision finding the holes opened by Langer and Little and Kuch, that made him so dangerous a runner.

Good column by Dave Hyde today on the passing of the generation.
http://www.phins.com/phins-news.php#google_vignette
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 11:20:32 am by doctord56 » Logged

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 11:32:18 am »

They listed Zonk as 239, but in truth he was more like 260ish at his peak. Even at that weight, Zonk had that little bit of speed, and good vision finding the holes opened by Langer and Little and Kuch, that made him so dangerous a runner.

Good column by Dave Hyde today on the passing of the generation.
http://www.phins.com/phins-news.php#google_vignette

You are exactly right, Doc.  I don't want to stray too far off of honoring Kiick in this thread, but Zonk was the man for sure.  Still the only player in NFL history to get an Unnecessary Roughness penalty while running the ball. 
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 02:59:23 am »

... and the hits from 2020 keep coming.  Cry

RIP Butch Cassidy.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 06:00:02 pm »

A legend from the 1970's.  RIP
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 11:13:45 am »

Kiik scored the winning TDs in the final three games of the 72 season. An 8-yard run vs. Cleveland Browns, 3-yard run vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (AFC title game) and 1-yard run vs. Washington Redskins (Super Bowl VII).

Unlike Zonk and Morris ... Kiik was also an integral part of the passing game.

I had the chance to hang out with him at a party held by Doug Ford. He has a tons of stories and would talk with you as long as you let him. He was very engaging and as Joe Rose said this morning ... he will be missed by all of the guys.

RIP Mr. Kiick!

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray