Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:19:03 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  You are old.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: You are old.  (Read 3308 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« on: July 17, 2020, 11:33:43 am »

"You're only as old as you feel"

Bullshit.

I sometimes still have trouble envisioning myself as an adult.  In my mind, I'm still a 20-something college kid.  Yet here I am, in my early-mid-40's, I'm starting to see how age is affecting my every day life.  I'm noticing that stuff like creaks in my joints (especially my knees) and that thing where you have to hold things at the perfect length to be able to see it clearly.  I notice this most often when playing video games for a long time.

Many of us have been visiting these forums for almost 20 years.  So, we've all aged significantly since we got here.  So what kind of things are you starting to notice that make you feel like you're getting old?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 12:30:35 pm »

Hangovers, when I was young I could bounce right back. Now I can feel a difference in my body if I have three drinks. Sleeping in, I remember hearing people I considered old talking about how early they get up. Guess what, if I stay up late I just lose that sleep now.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 12:52:56 pm »

Yet here I am, in my early-mid-40's, I'm starting to see how age is affecting my every day life.  I'm noticing that stuff like creaks in my joints (especially my knees) and that thing where you have to hold things at the perfect length to be able to see it clearly.  I notice this most often when playing video games for a long time.

As I approach 60 now, I can tell you that my 50's has all been about expiring warranties on body parts. Knees, stomach, eyesight, the waking up every couple of hours to use the can at night. If the "You're only as old as you feel" adage is correct, then I skipped most of my 50's and 60's and landed smack-dab in the middle of my 70's.

I am reminded of this one app that circulated in the early days of the internet called "Deathclock," where you put information about your life in there and it predicted how long you would live. When I put my info in there, the response I got from Deathclock was: "Holy shit...you're still here?"

Yes, Deathclock...I'm still here, coughing, wheezing, creaking and making the ungodliest of smells and noises. Catch me if you can!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 01:47:25 pm »

the waking up every couple of hours to use the can at night.

That could be a sign that you have sleep apnea .. maybe look into that
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:48:06 pm »

This topic hits close to home for me.  At 56, I still compete at the amateur level in weightlifting competitions and play tournament level softball.  BUT, old age has made itself very apparent to me in two ways for sure.  I am now slow.  When I try to sprint, I feel like I'm running in thick mud.  This was confirmed on video in a recent softball tournament.  I looked like I was dragging a tractor behind me when I was running the bases.  And recovery from little injuries takes forever now.  Sore muscles take two weeks instead of two days.  Even cuts and scrapes.  I was in a car wreck on May 18 and the cuts are just now starting to heal completely.  In my 20s and 30s, those same cuts would have healed in 3 weeks instead of 8 weeks.  I'm not complaining because my general health is excellent.  But damn, I am an f'ing shell of my younger self.  LOL  
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 01:52:46 pm »

I didn't know it made you pee.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 02:07:53 pm »

My breathing is fine. My prostate, on the other hand...not so much

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 03:00:13 pm »

I am definitely old. 

I noticed, post 30, that I had a longer time recovering from basic injury.  ...like if I bumped my hip on a desk, the bruise was more severe or affected me longer.

I have noticed, post-40, that I get injury from nothing.  I can get a general soreness, just from sleeping.

Also, physical activity is taxing in a way it wasn't before.  Like...just running down the street for a second seems to jolt my whole body.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 09:40:33 pm »

I am definitely old. 

I noticed, post 30, that I had a longer time recovering from basic injury.  ...like if I bumped my hip on a desk, the bruise was more severe or affected me longer.

I have noticed, post-40, that I get injury from nothing.  I can get a general soreness, just from sleeping.

Also, physical activity is taxing in a way it wasn't before.  Like...just running down the street for a second seems to jolt my whole body.

I hate to tell you this, brother Dave.  But when you hit your mid 50's you will look back at this as "the good old days of youth".  LOL
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 05:32:59 am »

1990 was 30 years ago.

When I hear the term "that was 30 years ago" I still keep thinking of the 70s

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 10:23:10 am »

I didn't know it made you pee.
It doesn't make you want to pee, but when you are awake after being asleep for several hours you have natural inclination to go to the restroom. The desire to pee is not making you wake up, but once awake the desire to pee will be there. It is a symptom of sleep Apnea.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 03:21:31 pm »

The thing that makes me feel old is when I think of how incredibly ancient stuff like The Beatles or Leave It To Beaver seemed in the 80s when I was growing up... and then I realize that Run DMC or Transformers are significantly more ancient in 2020 than The Beatles were in 1985.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 05:28:34 pm »

The thing that makes me feel old is when I think of how incredibly ancient stuff like The Beatles or Leave It To Beaver seemed in the 80s when I was growing up... and then I realize that Run DMC or Transformers are significantly more ancient in 2020 than The Beatles were in 1985.

Damn you!  I hadn't thought about it that way, but you are right. Now I feel even older!!!!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 09:06:27 am »

It doesn't make you want to pee, but when you are awake after being asleep for several hours you have natural inclination to go to the restroom. The desire to pee is not making you wake up, but once awake the desire to pee will be there. It is a symptom of sleep Apnea.

Sarcasm
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 10:25:08 pm »

Didn't realize it was a symptom of sleep apnea.  I don't have sleep apnea but I have to wake up in the middle of the night to pee a lot.  Mainly because I drink a 1 liter bottle of water before bed so I don't dehydrate when I sleep. 

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray