Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:11:59 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  You are old.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: You are old.  (Read 3320 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 09:32:50 am »

The thing that makes me feel old is when I think of how incredibly ancient stuff like The Beatles or Leave It To Beaver seemed in the 80s when I was growing up... and then I realize that Run DMC or Transformers are significantly more ancient in 2020 than The Beatles were in 1985.
This is exactly what gets me too.  I think of the things that I thought were old when i was a kid, and then think of how today's youth views the stuff that I grew up with.  That makes me sad.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 11:23:55 am »

I hate to tell you this, brother Dave.  But when you hit your mid 50's you will look back at this as "the good old days of youth".  LOL

I believe it, brother.

30s was different than 20s.  40s different than 30s, so I have no doubt.

I drink your milkshake!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 03:45:47 pm »

I feel this, I agree.  There is even a difference from the early 40's to late. 

When I turned 40 I was still "clanging and banging" in the gym, lifting heavy, training like a maniac.  I would run anywhere from 30-40 miles per week; participate in upwards of 20 Obstacle Course races in a calendar year, along with five to ten martial art tournaments.  I trained for one race by running (literally) up and down 4,000 foot White Mountains wearing an 80 pound training vest and an oxygen mask. 

Fast forward to this year.  I'm 49, I'll be 50 this year.  I couldn't do ANY of what I did, as little as nine years ago.  I participate in one martial art tournament a year (the one my dojo hosts) and it takes my body weeks to recover from it.  I do two Spartan races a year, neither one of them over 3-5 miles (and my days of doing mountain races are long gone).  I take long, brisk WALKS now, versus running, and own a spin bike for cardio.  I think back to the squats, deadlifts, front squats, goblets, etc., and my training - at 40 - would literally kill me now. I hit the weights x 3 a week, light, higher reps, and my body sometimes feels like it's ripping apart on leg day.

I do yoga and holy hell, it really hurts.  But if I don't I literally feel my entire body tighten, like a drum. 

I'm a pretty big believer of a body in motion stays in motion.  A body at rest, rests.  If I stop, I know what that means.  But it's quite staggering to see, in the same decade, a body once capable of squatting 500lbs and now it literally hurts to do body weight exercises.  Quite the drop off.

Got to keep moving!!

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 04:26:00 pm »

I'm a pretty big believer of a body in motion stays in motion.  A body at rest, rests.  If I stop, I know what that means.  But it's quite staggering to see, in the same decade, a body once capable of squatting 500lbs and now it literally hurts to do body weight exercises.  Quite the drop off.

This...exactly this. Mine happened across my 40's as well. One day I am running full court 5's until nobody else had next, and the next day, it hurts just walking to my car.

I am completely unamused...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 05:22:33 pm »

I'm 44, and have been slightly near sighted and in glasses for distance since Highschool. I could always read, or look at something that was close up with my glasses on, but almost to the day of my 40th birthday I had to take my glasses off to read, look at a picture etc... And I've recently noticed some white in my stubble. I mean shocking whiter than white. I remember being about 21/22 and talking to my dad about age and time. I said to him the first 20 went by really slowly. He laughed and said it gets faster. He was right.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray