Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:08:37 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What are you listening and watching and playing and reading? 7/28/2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What are you listening and watching and playing and reading? 7/28/2020  (Read 3304 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: July 28, 2020, 01:40:01 pm »

Watching:
The West Wing - I was on a cruise ship that had this playing on loop in the cabin and, sad to say, I binged about half a season of it and really like it.  This was damn probably 12 years ago.  So, I started watching it on Netflix from the beginning.  It's a little bit dated here and there, but overall, it's wonderful.  It's super smart people who are crazy competent and just makes you have a lot of faith in humans.  I highly recommend it.

Playing:
Fortnite - Good old BFein has picked up the pickaxe and now I have a pretty steady duo partner.  It's been fun.

Sea of Thieves - This came available on XBOX Gamepass.  It is everything pirate related.  It's adventure-based treasure hunting with low-tech equipment.  You have to sail your ship with a crew, but you don't have the benefits of modern gaming, like a mini-map or a pause screen.  You have to bail water with a bucket, put out fires with a bucket and water pump, navigate with a compass and a spyglass from the crow's nest.  It's pretty fun and silly.  You drink, puke, and play sea shanties while you sail for treasure, then use the money to buy stupid cosmetic stuff for and your ship.

Reading:
I'm on to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (book 3) with my daughter.  I read outloud and try to act out the various voices.  They've been enjoyable enough books.  I'm not a big reader of fiction, normally, but the circumstances make this fit in my life pretty well.

Listening:
There is a song called "Animal Spirits" by a band called Vulfpeck that I disovered and like a lot.  Other than that, I got a Frozen 2 songbook for piano and I play through it everyday.  Most of the songs are doable, but there is one called "Show Yourself" that is markedly more difficult than the rest.  I think that Edina Menzel is just a vocal talent above the rest of the cast so they write these crazy songs for her.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 02:25:52 pm »

Watching:  
Suits--Really liked this show from the beginning, a lot of likeable characters.
Yellowstone--Costner kills it in this show
Tacoma FD--The Broken Lizard guys run a fire department.  It's funny enough sometimes

Playing:
Summoners War--Mobile game, collect monsters and heroes, level them up, fight stuff
Civ VI--It was free on Epic.  It's okay I guess, I played Civ V a lot before

Reading:
Old Man and the Sea--I was on a Hemingway kick for a bit.  I really enjoyed this one and was a short read.  Not at all like...
A Farewell to Arms--It was okay, Hemingway has a way of putting you in the setting without being overly descriptive.  The dialog flows pretty naturally, however, I hated the ending.  Pretty long read too.
The Republic--Most famous for the allegory of the cave, it is kind of a difficult read and can be boring at times, but I enjoyed it.  It gave me a writing prompt I'm working on too.
From Socrates to Sartre--This is a book we used in my Philosophy class back in college.  I'm re-reading it as I have a different perspective on philosophy than I did when I was a young college student.

Listening:
Lofi-Hiphop mixes.  It's pretty relaxing.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:43:03 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 06:56:51 pm »

Diablo 3 is now officially the longest time I've ever played a game continuously. It's over 8 years old and surpassed World of Warcraft which I played for approximately 7 and a 1/2 years prior to dropping that game to start playing Diablo 3. Between the 2, I've spent over 15 years playing them continuously. I also started playing WoW Classic about a year ago and played for about 10 months straight before taking a break. I have played other games throughout those 15 years, but never completely stopped playing either of those 2 games. Pretty incredible.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 08:46:04 am »

Watching: I've been watching Cursed on Netflix it was suggested after i finished Warrior Nun. I've also been watching as much NBA as i can because live sports. Also I've been watching F1 racing, it's really the best racing league in the world.

Playing: I've been playing MTG: Arena and Fia F1 2020 on PC. Both are good, MTG:A is free to play and i like free. F1 was a regular price game, but is of really high quality and works fantastically as a racing sim. I haven't played WoW with any consistency lately, but I do want to check out the new Shadowlands expansion once it is released, I hear plenty of good feedback and reviews about it. And i avoided WoW classic like the plague .. i played WoW classic when it was just WoW .. and I have no desire to re-game that.

Reading: I've been reading the LoTR  books (and hobbit) to my son at bedtime. so it's slow going but he's enjoying it. For myself i haven't picked up a new series yet, the last one i read was the Malazaan book of the fallen series. Punishingly complex.

Listening: I've been either listening to Nightwish's new Human:||:Nature album that just came out (it's excellent) or been on a Springsteen kick also been tossing a bit of Dylan in there for good measure.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 10:08:50 am »

Watching: I just got real TV back after not having it for almost 6 months, so I have been watching every sports program being aired. Football, baseball, hoops, Junior Varsity Badminton...it really doesn't matter.

Listening: Anything by the band The Unlikely Candidates, plus some old Joe Walsh and James Gang

Reading: I read the cooking instructions on a package of frozen burritos a few weeks ago. Not much in the way of plot twists, but the character development was fucking delicious.

Playing: Risk, Backgammon, Poker, Words with Friends

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 10:40:53 am »

Believe it or not the best thing I have watched recently is a campaign speech given by Ronald Reagan. RVAT provides modern images to go along with his classic shining city speech.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 01:48:06 pm »

Dave made me start playing Fortnite.  Its super fun, and I really like it now that I don't completely suck, but I still suck a lot and get destroyed by 8-year-old kids on the regular.  Anyone else play?

I also still play GTA5 sometimes, building my criminal empire one illegal weapons shipment at a time....
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 06:14:12 pm »

I'm watching Yellowstone also. Who knew I had a thing for barrel racers.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 10:08:05 pm »

I'm watching Yellowstone also. Who knew I had a thing for barrel racers.
The blonde is a main character in Tacoma FD too
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 11:53:25 am »

READING
At home I'm reading The Girl in a Tree. At work I'm reading The Era of Reconstruction 1865- 1877

PLAYING
I'm STILL ON PS3 So I'm playing Black Flag. On the phone I'm mostly playing Retro Bowl. For anyone who grew up plying Tecmo Bowl on Nintendo it's basically that.

WATCHING
I don't watch much on TV. Reruns of SUV Criminal Minds Chicago PD and Modern Family and Simpsons. LOcal News

Listening Too
I'm on a country kick right now.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 03:33:09 pm »

Reading - found my old copy of Lord of the Rings, I'm elbow deep. 

Watching - my wife got my into Riverdale and it's so bad, it's good.

Playing - I never finished Bioshock 3.  To remind myself of the series, I'm playing 1 & 2 again first.

Listening to - Hamilton.  My daughter is obsessed, it's become an earworm.  It's actually really good. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 03:48:29 pm »

Reading - found my old copy of Lord of the Rings, I'm elbow deep. 

Watching - my wife got my into Riverdale and it's so bad, it's good.

Playing - I never finished Bioshock 3.  To remind myself of the series, I'm playing 1 & 2 again first.

Listening to - Hamilton.  My daughter is obsessed, it's become an earworm.  It's actually really good. 

How are you enjoying LOTR?  I just can't get into the dude's prose.  It's so friggin' wordy and slow in a way that doesn't seem to add value.  Songs after songs, wallowing in sorrow for paragraphs at a time.  I think that Tolkien just isn't for me.

Watch Hamilton...it's actually really really great.

I remember liking Bioshock 3 (that's the one that happens on airships?)

I drink your milkshake!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 03:55:23 pm »

I read LOTR in HS; I remember it being TEDIOUS then, however required for AP.  I'm enjoying it now, and my daughter wants to read it, too.  I think maybe now because I'm such a mark for the movies, and I'm older, I am grooving on the work like I had not before. 

I've seen Hamilton a bunch of times!   Smiley

We pulled a Red Rider "thing" on our kid this Christmas , there was an unmarked card in the tree (only she didn't ask).  She is obsessed with all things Hamilton, and really hard to buy for.  She's literally "buy me a hoodie...save your money and get yourself something nice."  She doesn't want for much.  So in the envelope was a bunch travel plans; our stay in NYC, hotel confirm, and the tickets to the play.

*THE* night we were supposed to go?  Same night they went dark due to the pandemic.  Hey, at least we have a story to tell.  We will get there, right?!

Bioshock - yes, it's the one in the sky.  I could not get into it the first time, it was SUCH a departure from the first two.  I'm hoping it grabs me this time.  I LOVE the first two. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 04:04:44 pm »

How are you enjoying LOTR?  I just can't get into the dude's prose.  It's so friggin' wordy and slow in a way that doesn't seem to add value.  Songs after songs, wallowing in sorrow for paragraphs at a time.  I think that Tolkien just isn't for me.

I've read everything that Tolkien has ever written (that I know of), and I am a little surprised to hear you say that. I dig the prose, and all those extra words were just extra strokes of the paintbrush in the creation of that world.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 05:40:38 pm »

I've read everything that Tolkien has ever written (that I know of), and I am a little surprised to hear you say that. I dig the prose, and all those extra words were just extra strokes of the paintbrush in the creation of that world.

Maybe I take for granted that I know what Elves and Goblins are, while I suppose when he was writing that stuff, we had no frame of reference, so he had to do extra to create that world.

Granted, I only read the Hobbit, but even calling that a children's book is tough.  I just feel like there's not a lot of actual story for the word-count.  The parts where the characters actually did interact, I enjoyed.  I thought that the Dwarf disagreement with Bilbo and the politics of the factions in the battle of the five armies was actually pretty good.

But listening to Bilbo opine over the miseries of a pitch black forest for 26 pages was pretty grueling.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:36:36 pm by Dave Gray » Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray