Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:28:51 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Healthcare
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Healthcare  (Read 1877 times)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« on: July 29, 2020, 01:20:16 pm »

We're in the middle of a pandemic that's stretching our for profit healthcare system to the breaking point. Elective surgery that usually funds hospitals is effectively postponed in favor of dealing with Covid. This will cause for profit hospitals to fail without government intervention since there will be no profits. This will undoubtedly take the form of some big dollar bailout to the hospital corporations by the american taxpayer, pretty much a blank check .. again.

Because our healthcare system is directly tied to employment, a mass of 30+ million unemployed means 30+ million without health insurance. Probably not the message you want to have people tough out Covid without seeing a doctor because they can't afford to.

At what point are we going to realize that the only sustainable and moral approach to healthcare is to do away with our entire for profit system and replace it with a universal health care system in some form. Whether it's the English NHS, the Canadian system, or any of a number of different examples of universal healthcare that exist successfully around the world. Literally any system would be better than the jumbled crap we have.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 03:12:55 pm »

^^^ Agree completely with this sentiment. Our healthcare system, our insurance and pharmaceutical industries...all should be completely redesigned/reorganized

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 12:30:07 am »

We're in the middle of a pandemic that's stretching our for profit healthcare system to the breaking point. Elective surgery that usually funds hospitals is effectively postponed in favor of dealing with Covid. This will cause for profit hospitals to fail without government intervention since there will be no profits. This will undoubtedly take the form of some big dollar bailout to the hospital corporations by the american taxpayer, pretty much a blank check .. again.

Because our healthcare system is directly tied to employment, a mass of 30+ million unemployed means 30+ million without health insurance. Probably not the message you want to have people tough out Covid without seeing a doctor because they can't afford to.

At what point are we going to realize that the only sustainable and moral approach to healthcare is to do away with our entire for profit system and replace it with a universal health care system in some form. Whether it's the English NHS, the Canadian system, or any of a number of different examples of universal healthcare that exist successfully around the world. Literally any system would be better than the jumbled crap we have.

Show me an example of such a system.

The Canadian system stinks.  People who get sick travel to the United States for treatment.  It only works if you have a cold. 

The European systems work by taxing people out of this world.  It also works because of other factors that don't exist here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59aCu6n-0k

We could raise taxes and encourage people to be even lazier than they already are.  I resent that I have to work every day while many people live the good life off the government.

I wonder if other countries have people as lazy as the people in this country.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 07:46:14 am »

Show me an example of such a system.

The Canadian system stinks.  People who get sick travel to the United States for treatment.  It only works if you have a cold. 

The European systems work by taxing people out of this world.  It also works because of other factors that don't exist here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59aCu6n-0k

We could raise taxes and encourage people to be even lazier than they already are.  I resent that I have to work every day while many people live the good life off the government.

I wonder if other countries have people as lazy as the people in this country.

This is the smartest thing you've ever said on here.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 08:37:35 am »

It's full of misconceptions, lies and entitlement angst.

1 - The canadians love their healthcare system, and are overwhelmingly happy with it, contrary to the myth of canadians flocking to the US for treatment. That's an outright lie. The fact is that canadians have a longer life expectancy, lower infant mortality rates, better outcomes and pay half as much per capita as the US does.

2 - the european system doesn't exist, each country administers a different health care system in a different way .. the british NHS is different than the german system and that's different than the italian system. You know what's not different, each is way less expensive per capita than the US system, And every diabetic can get insulin without paying an arm and a leg for it.
The fact is that the US already has socialized medicine, medicare for those 65+ is the most successful and liked government programs in the US.

3 - The whole entitlement screed you posted. No .. just no. No-one lives the good life of the government. the 30 million people that lost jobs aren't lazy We have a completely stupid healthcare system. Free market healthcare doesn't work and is immoral. Healthcare isn't a commodity that you can just decline if the price doesn't suit your needs. The free market approach to high insulin prices would be to just stop buying insulin until the price comes down to a more reasonable level. Is that really the solution you think would work? For every diabetic in the country to go blind, go into a coma before they're given insulin in an emergency room? That'll do wonders for our health care system.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 11:38:03 am »

For profit healthcare isn't a good system.  It's not best for the people who need it.  Health care is a basic need not best addressed by capitalism.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 12:56:24 pm »

Fau, I generally agree but you can't say no one has been living good off the government. Without giving specifics, I knew someone making $1400 a week staying home for several months of this.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 01:29:52 pm »

i know someone that was laid off in march .. pinched pennies, took the crap florida unemployment plus the 600 and after all this time is actually in a better financial place than she was in march. Mainly because of deferments of student loan payments and mortgage payments.

That doesn't mean she hasn't applied for work every single week and has been unable to find employment. I'm 100% sure she'd rather be gainfully employed and not being dangled on a string by a circumstance.

The anecdotal cases don't make the norm. Again, this is all knee jerk anyways. The myth of the welfare queen is just that .. a myth.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 03:01:48 pm »

I concur.  Can someone check to make sure his login information wasn't stolen.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 03:05:46 pm »

While I agree the drug companies' profits should be reigned in, and other changes should be made to insurance companies; I think it would be a disaster to go to a 100% universal health care system.  There would be 10X as many elderly people dying waiting for procedures, than are now dying from Covid.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 04:11:12 pm »

While I agree the drug companies' profits should be reigned in, and other changes should be made to insurance companies; I think it would be a disaster to go to a 100% universal health care system.  There would be 10X as many elderly people dying waiting for procedures, than are now dying from Covid.

why ? we have universal health care for the elderly as it is you don't see them dying from waiting now do you ?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 03:51:08 pm »

why ? we have universal health care for the elderly as it is you don't see them dying from waiting now do you ?

Yeah...what a weird concern.

We already have universal health care for old people.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 05:53:05 pm »

Quit lying to yourself.  For 99% of the population the USA has the worst health care system of all industrialized nations, for the top 1% it is a good system. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray