Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:24:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Wilson & Hurns opt out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Wilson & Hurns opt out  (Read 2666 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: August 05, 2020, 12:31:11 pm »

What do you guys think? They aren't the team stars but any loss of experience is going to suck with a season like this.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 12:37:04 pm »

Any word on reasoning?  COVID fears?  Unhappy with team?  Looking for a better deal?

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 12:39:10 pm »

To answer my own questions, the Sun Sentinel says it's due to COVID concerns because he has a newborn.

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter.  We're not likely to be good, regardless.  He's not exactly a star player, too.  Good for him -- wish him the best.  This is going to be a weird year anyway, if it even happens.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 01:21:59 pm »

I like it because it gives a guy like undrafted rookie free agent Kirk Merritt a better chance to make the team:

6’0” 215-pounds
4.33 in the 40-yard dash (2nd among combine WRs)
4.02 in the 20-yard shuttle (1st among combine WRs)
45.5-inch vertical jump (1st among combine WRs)
23 bench press reps (1st among combine WRs)
11’3” broad jump (3rd among combine WRs)

If they can channel that raw talent, look out.  We might have another diamond in the rough WR.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 01:39:16 pm »

Hurns reason was because his wife is pregnant, don't know Wilson's reason but neither will be on the team in 2021 if replacements do well this season.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 01:56:27 pm »

how does this work with the contracts .. if they opt out .. does it just make the contract pause for a year?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 02:22:13 pm »

I like it because it gives a guy like undrafted rookie free agent Kirk Merritt a better chance to make the team:

6’0” 215-pounds
4.33 in the 40-yard dash (2nd among combine WRs)
4.02 in the 20-yard shuttle (1st among combine WRs)
45.5-inch vertical jump (1st among combine WRs)
23 bench press reps (1st among combine WRs)
11’3” broad jump (3rd among combine WRs)

If they can channel that raw talent, look out.  We might have another diamond in the rough WR.

I can appreciate what you're saying, and I do hope he gets a good opportunity to shine... but when listing those stats and "3rd among combine WRs"...Kirk Merritt didn't actually attend the combine. His times/measurements/reps are from his Arkansas State Pro Day, and you know how those Pro Days work...take every time/measurement/rep with a very large grain of salt.  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 02:43:42 pm »

I can appreciate what you're saying, and I do hope he gets a good opportunity to shine... but when listing those stats and "3rd among combine WRs"...Kirk Merritt didn't actually attend the combine. His times/measurements/reps are from his Arkansas State Pro Day, and you know how those Pro Days work...take every time/measurement/rep with a very large grain of salt.  Wink

Sure, I get that.  Even if the times are in his favor, you have to assume he'd still be towards the top, even if he's not 1st or 2nd at the actual combine.  Plus, I don't think you can fudge you're vertical, dude can jump over a building.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 03:24:57 pm »

^^^ I've been to a few pro days...I always thought they fudged everything.  Huh

Again, I hope he does well, especially since he's playing for Miami, but if even just a few of the 32 NFL GMs/Personnel guys thought those numbers were legit, I can only believe he would not have gone undrafted.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 04:46:11 pm »

^^^ I've been to a few pro days...I always thought they fudged everything.  Huh

Again, I hope he does well, especially since he's playing for Miami, but if even just a few of the 32 NFL GMs/Personnel guys thought those numbers were legit, I can only believe he would not have gone undrafted.

Yep.  And on top of that, the NFL unemployment line if filled with guys who are "amazing athletes" and subpar football players.   

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 05:32:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure Merritt had off the field issues and that's why he went undrafted.  Preston Williams is a proto WR and he went undrafted for the same reasons
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 11:22:38 am »

how does this work with the contracts .. if they opt out .. does it just make the contract pause for a year?

They get some small amount of money, but not their full contract amount...I think they called it a stipend or something.  I don't know if they remain under contract if it were multiple years.

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 12:15:57 pm »

They get some small amount of money, but not their full contract amount...I think they called it a stipend or something.  I don't know if they remain under contract if it were multiple years.

They get a COVID stipend and everything on their contract gets pushed back one year.   This will not count as a year of service time because they chose not to play.  The fourth year players have a big decision to make because next year they would normally be eligible for UFA but if they opt out, they will not be.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 01:58:49 pm »

Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned.  Every team is going to have a few guys that opt out.  I think this season is going to be a wash out anyways.  What I've been curious about for a couple months now is what is going to happen with next years draft?  If colleges don't play, or don't play full schedules, how is that going to affect player eligibility?  What will happen if the NFL doesn't complete it's season?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 11:24:35 am »

Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned.  Every team is going to have a few guys that opt out.  I think this season is going to be a wash out anyways.  What I've been curious about for a couple months now is what is going to happen with next years draft?  If colleges don't play, or don't play full schedules, how is that going to affect player eligibility?  What will happen if the NFL doesn't complete it's season?

This doesn't seem like it would be complicated.  I imagine that all those guys in college would have an extra year of eligability, if they want it, but it's not required.  The draft would happen normally, with pro-days and workouts and game film being the primary means of evaluation.  The draft is such a crap-shoot anyway, that I don't think it will matter much.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray