Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:55:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Collectors: What is your white whale?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Collectors: What is your white whale?  (Read 1892 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: July 24, 2020, 01:32:59 pm »

Do you have something you've always wanted but just couldn't score?  Extra points if you had a chance to get it, didn't pull the trigger and it has haunted you ever since.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 01:51:26 pm »

This doesn't exactly fit your scenario, but hopefully it is close enough.  When I was little my aunt was a pretty big antique dealer in Ohio.  She had an Ohio local beer advertisement on a 3-D wall hanging of old Crosley Field (where the Reds played many years ago).   She was selling it for $12.  She saw me eyeballing it in her warehouse and gave it to me for free.  Being a little kid, I didn't take good care of it and over the years I let it get busted up.  If I had taken care of it, it would be worth over $1,000 today.  Because of the condition I let it get in, it is worth about $20. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 01:55:33 pm »

Do you have something you've always wanted but just couldn't score?  Extra points if you had a chance to get it, didn't pull the trigger and it has haunted you ever since.

Yo mama, she's a white whale.

Zing!

Evil

Seriously though, I had my white whale with the Marino autographed plaque with Marino rookie card holder that was stolen off my wall in college.  If I could get that back I'd be pretty happy.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:59:30 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 03:14:59 pm »

Not something that I always wanted, but something I wish I had taken advantage of at the time...  When I lived outside Seattle, the guy that owned 3 stores that I managed asked me to help him with his humongous storage unit. One of the items in that unit was a fairly beat up 1937 Cadillac Lasalle convertible, with the rumble seat in the back. He offered to sell it to me for $500, but I didn't really have any room to keep it, so I passed...

Every time I see a picture of an old Caddy, I kick myself on the inside... It looked like this one (but nowhere near as restored):

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 05:54:15 pm »

Not something that I always wanted, but something I wish I had taken advantage of at the time...  When I lived outside Seattle, the guy that owned 3 stores that I managed asked me to help him with his humongous storage unit. One of the items in that unit was a fairly beat up 1937 Cadillac Lasalle convertible, with the rumble seat in the back. He offered to sell it to me for $500, but I didn't really have any room to keep it, so I passed...

Every time I see a picture of an old Caddy, I kick myself on the inside... It looked like this one (but nowhere near as restored):

$500?  Oh that hurts. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:10:53 am »

My white whale many years ago was one of the green squares in McD monopoly game.  And yeah I had the chance.  It was the first day and I got ketchup on on my game prize, rather than clean it up, i threw it away.  Two days later I got the other two squares. After eating way too much fastfood and lots of networking and having 2 of one square and 7 of the other it was obvious I threw away the "rare" piece.  I think it was worth $10k. 

I did manage to split a different property she had one of the squares on the $500 I had multiple copies of the other 2.  We split it $250 each. After we had our money in hand she said she was surprised I was so generous thinking I should have gotten 2/3 for having 2/3 of the pieces.  I told her she was the one being generous because she could have negotiated for more as she had the rare piece.  Her response: "Now I know what I am going to write my paper on.  I have a paper due tommorow on a situation where you had a win-win deal.  You feel you got more than you deserved And i feel I got more than I deserve that is the definition of win win. "

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 05:04:11 pm »

My white whale many years ago was one of the green squares in McD monopoly game.  And yeah I had the chance.  It was the first day and I got ketchup on on my game prize, rather than clean it up, i threw it away.  Two days later I got the other two squares. After eating way too much fastfood and lots of networking and having 2 of one square and 7 of the other it was obvious I threw away the "rare" piece.  I think it was worth $10k. 

I did manage to split a different property she had one of the squares on the $500 I had multiple copies of the other 2.  We split it $250 each. After we had our money in hand she said she was surprised I was so generous thinking I should have gotten 2/3 for having 2/3 of the pieces.  I told her she was the one being generous because she could have negotiated for more as she had the rare piece.  Her response: "Now I know what I am going to write my paper on.  I have a paper due tommorow on a situation where you had a win-win deal.  You feel you got more than you deserved And i feel I got more than I deserve that is the definition of win win. "

Your win-win story about sharing the prize was cool.  Good job of making the best of a situation.  Tossing out the winning piece which would have netted you $10K sucks.  Ugghhh.  The most impressive thing is that you ate that much McDonalds food and lived to tell the story.  lol   
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 01:03:00 pm »

I think I've mentioned it before on here - my two biggest collections are toys and sports memorabilia, specifically related to my 4 favorite sports teams.  When those two cross each other, its a must-have.

So I used to collect McFarlane's Sportspicks.  I think a few others on here did as well.  I always went for players I liked but Marlins, Heat, Dolphins players were MUST HAVE.  The only team McFarlane never made a mass-release player of is the Florida Panthers.  Not one.  Except - they made a Roberto Luongo Vancouver piece that had a collectors chase variant in a Panthers' jersey.  Gold level chases flip for $100+ usually, so they are rare and hard to find.  That is my white whale.

Eventually I kind of weened away from McFarlane collecting because I got sick and tired of every new figure series including Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, and Tom Brady.  Honestly, they made about 12 different brady figures, and probably 4 or 5 TOTAL Dolphins, EVER.  Just not evenly distributed, and that annoyed me.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 10:12:31 pm »

I'm no collector but today, I bought a box of Aunt Jemima pancake mix and a box of Uncle Ben's rice.  I'm going to encase them in glass.  In a few years, they will be collectors items

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 08:49:57 am »

I'm no collector but today, I bought a box of Aunt Jemima pancake mix and a box of Uncle Ben's rice.  I'm going to encase them in glass.  In a few years, they will be collectors items

In tonight's lead story, protesters stormed the house of local resident Buccaneer Brad, claiming systemic racism in his household and the aggrandizement of slavery icons.

Film at eleven...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 02:26:20 pm »

In tonight's lead story, protesters stormed the house of local resident Buccaneer Brad, claiming systemic racism in his household and the aggrandizement of slavery icons.

Film at eleven...

You crack me up with your stories and tidbits.   Loved the one about you getting drunk in front of a German castle

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 02:36:29 pm »

You crack me up with your stories and tidbits.   Loved the one about you getting drunk in front of a German castle

Yeah, but the Castle one is actually true... There aren't really any people storming your home (that I know of).

Cool

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray