Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:49:36 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  College conferences cancelling football
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: College conferences cancelling football  (Read 4448 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« on: August 08, 2020, 09:59:41 pm »

MAC is the first FBS conference to do it.  Several FCS conferences already have.  Big Ten is meeting on Monday to decide how to proceed.  Pac 12 is demanding certain things or they will not play.  If those two conferences opt out, then I think the ACC, SEC and Big 12 will follow suit.  Let's face it folks, we might not have college football.

UPDATED TO ADD:

The Big Ten school presidents have voted 10-2 to cancel their season according to ESPN.  The Pac 12 is expected to follow suit.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:12:23 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 10:47:36 am »

MWC has officially cancelled football. 

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 04:05:26 pm »

Big Ten and Pac 12 have voted to postpone their football until the spring but ACC, SEC and Big 12 have opted to play the season.   This is going to be a nightmare.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 04:39:19 pm »

Big Ten and Pac 12 have voted to postpone their football until the spring but ACC, SEC and Big 12 have opted to play the season.   This is going to be a nightmare.

What is the legality of a team like Ohio State saying they will play in the SEC this year? Can they even do that?

Scheduling games might actually be fairly easy if there are no fans to worry about. Don't need to be considerate of traveling fans and all that stuff.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 06:19:15 pm »

Unfortunately, no one can be told what a league-wide outbreak is.  You have to see it for yourself.

The powers that be in Football Country (both college and pro) need hard evidence that this is a bad idea before they shut it down.  And they're going to get it... hard.  

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 08:52:01 am »

Unfortunately, no one can be told what a league-wide outbreak is.  You have to see it for yourself.

The powers that be in Football Country (both college and pro) need hard evidence that this is a bad idea before they shut it down.  And they're going to get it... hard.  

If you think it's not safe for kids to play while they are in their bubble where they are sheltered and tested, but you think it's ok for them to leave their bubble to go to classes and stuff without playing football, then you're more delusional than I thought.  There is no hard evidence that this is a bad idea.  Matter of fact, a renowned doctor came up with a way that it could be done safely. 

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 01:41:08 pm »

Huh
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 01:48:47 pm »

What is the legality of a team like Ohio State saying they will play in the SEC this year? Can they even do that?

Scheduling games might actually be fairly easy if there are no fans to worry about. Don't need to be considerate of traveling fans and all that stuff.

The Big10 commissioner says Nebraska will lose their membership if they try playing on their own.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 02:19:21 pm »

The Big10 commissioner says Nebraska will lose their membership if they try playing on their own.

I'm sure another conference would love to have them.  The Big 12 would welcome them back with open arms.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 01:45:58 am »

If you think it's not safe for kids to play while they are in their bubble where they are sheltered and tested, but you think it's ok for them to leave their bubble to go to classes and stuff without playing football, then you're more delusional than I thought.
1) Holding full college classes in person right now is just as dumb as trying to play football.
2) There isn't going to be a "bubble" for college football, unless you're considering teams training at their own campus to be a "bubble."

There is no hard evidence that this is a bad idea.
They're going to get evidence, good and hard.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 02:32:50 pm »

I feel like a grown-up having to talk to kids about having donuts for dinner.

Yes, I also want donuts.  I like donuts as much as you.  I'm not the reason we can't have donuts.  I'm the one who has to make the necessary choice to eat our vegetables, because it's healthy and needed.  I can't let my kids talk me into donuts being healthier than vegetables.  We can have donuts later, but not for dinner, not because I'm invested in vegetables or have an agenda against donuts, but because I'm the grown up.

It's weird, man.  I want college football on TV so bad....more than in most years, because I'm stuck here at home.  But if doctors say it's not safe, it's not safe.  It doesn't matter what I want. 

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 05:43:22 pm »

I feel like a grown-up having to talk to kids about having donuts for dinner.

Yes, I also want donuts.  I like donuts as much as you.  I'm not the reason we can't have donuts.  I'm the one who has to make the necessary choice to eat our vegetables, because it's healthy and needed.  I can't let my kids talk me into donuts being healthier than vegetables.  We can have donuts later, but not for dinner, not because I'm invested in vegetables or have an agenda against donuts, but because I'm the grown up.

It's weird, man.  I want college football on TV so bad....more than in most years, because I'm stuck here at home.  But if doctors say it's not safe, it's not safe.  It doesn't matter what I want. 

Problem is that at the federal level and many states the toddlers are in charge and are mandating donuts.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 09:48:58 pm »

I really want a donut
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 07:26:14 am »

I really want a donut

Krispy Kreme: Overrated or not?  Discuss.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 08:39:54 am »

General donut musings:

1) While I can appreciate the position of the Healthy Veggie lobby, mandating donuts really doesn't sound that bad to me.
2) Krispy Kreme...definitely overrated, though their tastiness satisfaction quotient goes up significantly if there is coffee involved.
3) Any donut wrapped in or sprinkled with bacon is better than any donut NOT wrapped in or sprinkled with bacon.
4) Fuck donuts (not literally, unless they're Boston Creme)...give me a good ol' Apple Fritter.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray