Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:28:07 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins Give Raekwon McMillan To The Raiders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins Give Raekwon McMillan To The Raiders  (Read 914 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« on: August 30, 2020, 04:40:13 am »

Gotta say I don't like this move. McMillan hasn't been perfect and the argument, I guess, is that he doesn't fit well with the new defensive scheme.

But McMillan is a young, high motor, run-stopping machine and getting nothing for him just seems like a very bad deal. I really hope this isn't a "not my guy" kind of thing. For reference, prep football focus graded him as the 15th best linebacker in the league against run.

Yes, technically, we're not getting NOTHING, but their fourth for our fifth is pretty darn close.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29765144/source-dolphins-trade-raekwon-mcmillan-pick-raiders-fourth-rounder
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 08:25:42 am »

This is a contract year for him so I think that weighed heavily into this decision. They didn't want to pay him in 2021. That being said, moving up one round on Day 3? That does seem pretty light.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 11:02:21 am »

I think Edgecrusher has a good point about this being a contract year for McMillan and that having something to do with it.  I think ultimately they just wanted him to be able to provide better pass coverage than he was able to.  Even though he is a DT and not a LB, I think that the Dolphins like the run stopping ability of Raekwon Davis a lot which will take away a lot of what McMillan brought to the team last year in the way of run stopping.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 11:03:26 am »

he was being outperformed by other players in camp and him even making the 53 was in doubt after baker and KVN and 2 other guys beating him in camp.

That coupled with the dolphins planning on running base nickel makes his skillset expendable .. even tho he was a fit for the scheme, his strengths aren't unique to the platoon.

so they got something out of him instead of at best letting him walk for no compensation next offseason

This btw is a full on patriot move .. get something for a guy a year before you get nothing for him. keep accumulating draft assets and positions.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 12:21:37 pm »

Taking that little tells me, Mia decided to cut him outright
 but placed some calls to see if any one would give them anything and the market was weak.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 12:28:03 pm »

This is what you do with marginal players on the last year of their rookie contract. You aren't going to sign them the following year so you do the next best thing and get a draft pick to get a younger player in the draft on a rookie contract. This is a Belichick sort of thing that Flores brought from the Patriots. In this case I approve of the move, I was not fond of McMillan.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »

he was being outperformed by other players in camp and him even making the 53 was in doubt after baker and KVN and 2 other guys beating him in camp.

That coupled with the dolphins planning on running base nickel makes his skillset expendable .. even tho he was a fit for the scheme, his strengths aren't unique to the platoon.

so they got something out of him instead of at best letting him walk for no compensation next offseason

This btw is a full on patriot move .. get something for a guy a year before you get nothing for him. keep accumulating draft assets and positions.

Good points, I like the way you laid this out

I'd rather be lucky than good.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 02:20:12 pm »

I expected a lot more out of McMillen when he was drafted, so in that sense he was a disappointment.  And as others have said this move is in the Patriot Style.  Good Luck to him since he's leaving the AFCE.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray